main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You keep calling the posters strangers, but maybe Seerow thinks otherwise. Not gonna speak for her, but who's to say this is the only place she's sharing this info? Chances are she has friends in RL that she's talking to, or other family.

I'd almost say go to the JCC, where people share very personal info to an even broader viewership. While there are a lot of JCC regulars, there's also plenty of other users who find their way there as well. Yet people feel fine sharing intimate details about their lives. Sometimes a well-cultivated group of internet friends is the best place to share one's issues. That's just how our society is today.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You misunderstood me with the adult comment? I said some of us are adults, meaning age, not maturity. (Well, actually that could play into it a bit, but I was suggesting age.) And yes, you did misunderstood me when I was mentioning the "LACWAC is a home" comment. Pretty much if you think posting personal issues is okay, then you need need to rethink what a public forum is. Or better yet, would you discuss personal issues with strangers in real life? I am pretty sure that no one would even care for your issues. And I am not mentioning counselors, ect, I am referring to people around your age group, kids, ect.

And likewise, I don't even care for you and don't even want to be your friend whatsoever, but I don't know why you brought that up so there you go. That comment wasn't for anyone specific, but I guess you thought that I was referring to you.

4. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    She is a stranger to me because I don't even know anything about her. I wouldn't even call her a friend (and I am not saying that as an offense, but just a general meaning to get my point across), and I myself am a stranger to her. And if she is talking to her real life friends, family, then why bring strangers involved? It is a bit ridiculous to talk on a personal level with those who don't know.

If not, then I guess we have different definitions/meanings on what a stranger is and what's personal or not.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Opinion noted.

GG, you have no ground to stand on here other than your personal opinion and I think you know it, so you may want to step back and think before you post any more comments on the subject, especially since you've posted essentially the same thing like eight times now.

Telling someone not to post comments that are well within the TOS is similar to telling someone to GTFO for not liking TCW, you should know better.

6. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It's about time that someone actually saw my statements as opinions, because they are. Again, as I said before, if you want to share personal issues, then fine. However, it is ridiculous and wrong. I can only stress the same opinion because to me this discussion isn't really going anywhere.

CT, I think you should know better not to give out misleading information. You can't say that I wanted them to stop because "I said so;" that is not the truth.

Oh I forgot it's dumbwac! I must use "imo" :rolleyes:

Coric likes this.
  7. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    [face_laugh] ^

Also.

I'm post 5555

[​IMG]

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's the thing really. It's all about personal taste. You can't please everyone, and not everyone shares your ideals/values. That's life on the internet for ya.

EDIT: I think the above shirt is an example we should all follow. [face_peace]

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well, gee, I'm sorry I've offended you so badly by sharing one night of family problems with you a GG. I'm a pretty open person and a chronic oversharer. If you haven't figured it out yet. I love to chat and I'll gladly overload anybody and sometimes with personal aspects of my life. I know I've probably overloaded some members that way and if they ever want to tell me to shove it. I will. I guess its a bad habit of mine.

I've been posting on forums on the internet since back when they were called Message Boards like 10 years ago and there were no cute smileys. First, I like everybody, its pointless to hate somebody I don't personally know on the internet. But at the same time I don't see everybody on the internet as total strangers. I've been here a minute now and I'm comfortable. I've known folks I've genuinely considered friends on every Forum I've ever posted on. Some continue to IM me 10 years later. Lastly, I've found this to be probably the most comfortable and easy going forum. On a forum like this its much easier to be personal. Yes, to me every bit of support from both my friends IRL and across with world on the internet helps.

Yeah, my family and I are working out our personal problems together. But since you don't want me to post about that. I won't update the thread on anything. You'll never know if my 4 year old niece. The one I've talked about being able to tell apart each of the Clones gets home safely.

Now lets change the subject. I hear Ubuntu phone was launched today. KenobiSkywalker what are your thoughts on that?

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I have been posting on forums for 10 years too and learned at a young age not to post personal stuff.

And they were called forums back then too, Seerow. :p

Again, I was posting (and still am) my own opinions, CT.

Honestly, internet or not, basically that's how I operate in real life as well. I wouldn't tell random people my family issues and the same goes for anyone on the internet. I treat them the same. It really doesn't matter if you're hiding behind a monitor and typing away.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh ****, I'm probably going to regret this but here goes.

I don't know that there are "rules" for "right" or "wrong" as far as what people share on the Internet other than legal liability issues. The consequence for breaking a "rule" about sharing personal stuff is on the person who shared it--he or she might get maligned for doing so, the wrong person might read the information and use it, the information might spread a little further than the person originally wanted. I'd say it's up to the person sharing the information as to whether he or she wants to take that risk, at least when we're talking about an adult posting on a forum. When I teach Internet safety, I teach keeping Facebook and YouTube pages, etc. locked down and not sharing any information that you wouldn't shout in front of an auditorium full of people. I have seen personal information used against the person who shared it, both here and other places.

But again, ultimately that's the risk that the person sharing the information takes. I'm not sure it's any of our business to decide what that risk should be for someone else. I'm personally not comfortable with it; I don't discuss my personal problems at all, much less on the Internet. But maybe it's not on me to decide someone else's comfort zone.

eht13 likes this.
  12. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Ignore him Seerow, post anything you want.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
  14. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    The third word on that shirt is "GET OFF MY FIELD"
    No. I'm not joking.

15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Coric my statement still applies. :p

And good points, AF and GG. In this day and age we sometimes forget just how vast and open the internet is, but that doesn't stop people from posting this and that. Look at Twitter, and how open people can be there.

16. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Splendid!
    [​IMG]

GGrievous likes this.
  17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    True, even with pictures. But most people on twitter act like idiots. :p

18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I didn't see that, I'll have to look it up. I've been wanting to give the Windows phone a try for a while too. No one I know owns one though.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ummm... I have a Windows Phone actually. =b

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I haven't posted this much (not counting the stupid temp crap) since early last year.

I feel cheated.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    People complaining on Facebook about "privacy" crack me up. Dude, one, lock down your page, and two, if you're that concerned that your 2873 friends that you just had to add (since you added everyone who has farted in your direction since third grade) are going to share your stuff, just don't put it on Facebook in the first place. Nobody really needs to know how big your last crap was. (And I'll save my "whiny vaguebooking" rant for another day.)

22. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What do you think of it? I know the older windows phones had some stability issues. Did they get those worked out?

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I actually don't have a Facebook or Twitter. =b

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I was about to post who doesn't have a facebook. Fair enough, nevermind then.

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its WP7, its fast and web browsing is actually really slick on it. Its a pretty low end model but gets the job done. I'm really an Android fangirl though and its my plan to get my hands on a GS3 Developer phone next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.