main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Critical reception

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by FryingpoorGreedo, Jan 2, 2013.

1. FryingpoorGreedo

FryingpoorGreedo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2012
    I know the movie doesn't exist yet but do you think critics will be really harsh because its a Star Wars or more kind? Who knows, maybe they'll actually be fair! Sorry if this has been posted I didn't see anything like this and was curious how you guys think critics will treat it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Echo-07 like this.
  2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I can see alot of hate from the critics because of the 'unneeded cash-in' air the film has (which it kinda deserves). As such, I feel it will be critically panned.

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think some probably will no matter what, others could play fair. It should be very interesting.

4. FryingpoorGreedo

Dec 22, 2012
    I think people just like bashing anything past Empire in a lot of cases and will attack this regardless of quality.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Suddenly, people who hated the PT will be nostalgic for it instead of "This Disney Bantha Poodoo".

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    That wouldn't surprise me one bit

7. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I think it will get praised for "bringing life back into the series." It can make Lucas look more like a bad guy for the PT in people's eyes.

Fettcrom, Dark Lady Mara and Echo-07 like this.
  8. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    It will be pissing into the wind to start off with. TPM went in with a LOT of good will and it probably got better reviews than it deserved.
    This one will be accorded the opposite after the PT, but a good film is a good film, and if they craft a great film critics will come around.

That being said, there will be a lot of critics going into theatre with the expectation of dissapointment.
    I can guarentee the hipster reviewers will give it a negative review regardless of it's quality, because that's how hipsters roll when it comes to things that are popular.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Who cares? Critics are just brains for people who dislike making their own choices. Shouldn't matter if you share the exact same opinion as a critic or think he's completely wrong; the notion that they provide some kind of validation is just wrong.

10. FryingpoorGreedo

Dec 22, 2012
    I agree, my reason for this is how biased they will be

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm with DB on this -- no one should care. I never listened to the critics and their bashing of the OT or the PT and I won't of the ST either. I think SW is held in a different light than your average movie and it doesn't get treated the same.

Besides, I always like what I like regardless of what others think. Cases in point -- I love 300 and Cloverfield and I find some people that also like those movies and some that don't. It's fine. I don't care. I love the LOTR trilogy yet I still find people bashing the 2nd and 3rd film of that series. I like both Iron Man movies and some hate IM 2. I'm also a huge Batman fan but I think the high praise Nolan got for his trilogy was over the top. Those films are over-rated IMO. I loathe Superman, but I also respect that others enjoy his story. Doesn't work for me, but whatever.

To each his own I say.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    ROTS was well recieved & alot of people don't really see this cause their blinded by TPM & AOTC ....Rottentomatoes has ROTS at 80% fresh & ROTJ at 79% fresh .....so infact the critics were fare to ROTS because it was a good movie so if EP7 is good it will get a decent fresh rating on Rottentomatoes.....

BigAl6ft6 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The entertainment media has a narrative, and Lucas is their Jonah. Now that he is by the board, Star Wars will find it's wind (in their eyes). The quality as ever doesn't matter, *they* have a story to tell and they will tell it.

And sheep on the internet will bleat in agreement.

14. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Sadly you're right. I think we are going to see a lot of critics say, "we are finally freed from the stifling direction of Lucas," whereas others will say, "why didn't they put this to bed after ESB?" (when of course you couldn't have).

In the first few days after D-day I read a lot of "critics" and "fan comments" that said they were glad they didn't own stock in Disney b/c this was a horrible deal. They were already pitching something that wasn't very intelligent. I imagine these next three films alone will gross a combined minimum of 3.75 billion worldwide, netting around 3 billion and that's not even counting any merchandising where SW is king.

kainee and Echo-07 like this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't give a womp rat's ass about what critics say about movies. All that matters to me is what I like. The critics can say that Episode VII is the worst movie since Plan 9 From Outer Space and I'll still be there at the midnight opening with popcorn and candy in hand ready to get my Star Wars on!

16. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Critics always sort of view the franchise as a joke anyway. "Movie shows" (like E! and the like) are just hype machines and play up any big event film - and always just treat SW like "it's a big deal - ya gotta go!" Overhanging all of this is the fact that news outlets see the fanbase as a "bunch of nerds" or whatever and play to the cheap seats. That is, they'll harp on about "will fans like this new series?" and other non-controversies to play up the hilarity fanbases provide for the Public at Large.

So, knowing the media is full of crap, and knowing they will treat us as idiots, and knowing they view all moviegoers as mindless sheep, and knowing that very few reviewers will offer up a "non-jokey" semi-serious review, I can't see that I really care what any of them say.

kainee likes this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm absolutely sure critics will bash it. The SW movies have never gotten that great of critic reviews, then they turn around and end up being the highest grossing movies of each year by a landslide. I've learned not to ever go by the critics, because each of them (especially EW,) are all expecting freaking Schindler's List for every movie. None of them seem to get the idea of a simple, entertaining summer movie, where one can forget about life for two hours and just enjoy some starship battles, lightsabers, aliens and droids.

Now, I'm sure we all remember the critics opinion of TPM when it was first released. I imagine that this being a 3rd trilogy, the "expectations" will be even THAT much higher, and there will be THAT much less margin for error when it comes to story/characters/cinematography, etc.

I am sure the critics will have a field day with ep. VII......

Unless it ends up being awesome, and everything we were all hoping for...

kainee and Echo-07 like this.
  18. Hoffaktor

Hoffaktor Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    I bet that they would take it more seriously if Stover would write the script and it would have a more complex story.

Gaming critics are a little bit different but they really praised the Kotor 1 story. It had more complexity than the movies.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think in large part it depends on who the director is. Some directors get an automatic "thumbs up" no matter what piece of crap they create.

Echo-07 and DARTH_BELO like this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'd bet on hearing "Star Wars is fun again!" quite a bit. And a lot of faint praise damning directed towards Lucas.

FRAGWAGON and Echo-07 like this.
  21. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Who cares what the critics say? I lost all repect for Leonard Maltin when he went after both ROTJ and the prequels...and gave rave reveiws to a movie I hate (I think it was Titanic). The story of Star Wars had always been bigger than the visuals. Add that to the music and fantastical setting and...well, the 'critics' can go eat boiled pig's feet and okra. :p

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I really don't give a rat's a$$ about what the critics will think. All I care about is what I will think. I've seen too many movies that the critics go crazy over, yet when I saw the same movie, I either went to sleep or wanted my money back. :-(

To hell with the critics....what will WE FANS think.

Echo-07 and FryingpoorGreedo like this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sure it'll be received well.

24. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Critical reception... isn't that what critics are supposed to do? And why wouldn't critics be fair? [face_dunno]

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm more interested in who will get the credit for it, either way. If it's great then will people say it's because of no George Lucas? Or, will they give George the credit for writing the treatments and being a "consultant"? And, if it's not so great, then the same thing. "It was bad because George didn't make it", or "It was bad because George had too much say in his "consultant" role". Will the other people involved with the film even get considered?

kainee, Echo-07 and FryingpoorGreedo like this.