main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Droid Factory Sequence

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Corran1138, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I didn't really mind the comic relief parts in the arena,

what are people expecting? Braveheart?

Star Wars like it or not if for all ages,

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  2. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    I agree that the way C3PO holds onto the platform is inconsistent with his previous ability to use his hands. But, the 3PO comedy has never bothered me. Without some cheesy humor it wouldn't be a Star Wars film.

DarthKreVass and Order66Survivor like this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    We could just pretend the thing comes equipped with a low-power tractor field.

4. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    i thought it was cool

DarthBoba likes this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I can't really be bothered by 3PO hanging by his hands. We don't see him fail using his hands, so I don't see any evidence of an inconsistency here.

6. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    There needed to be more scenes of Anakin protecting Padme. For most of the movie Anakin doesn't have many opportunities to put his life on the line protecting the girl he loves. He could have been protecting her from machinery, and holding her in the air with the force at some point. He's getting hit with machinery while he is protecting her. (I also would have liked a scene where he protects her from a bounty hunter on Naboo. Later on, they find a tracking device hidden in R2, remove it, and flee to Tatooine.)

7. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I agree, loved the scene too and the way R2 saved the day for Padme. Plus, it was nice to see a new R2 feature/ability with his rockets.

8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I just watched an edit in which the all of the droid bits are removed from the factory and the battle, and it was simply brilliant. It felt like a sequence out of a Star Wars movie again.

9. Scryer

Scryer Jedi Padawan

Dec 26, 2012
    I am on the fence with this scene for a few reasons. But first of all, I do agree that it feels linear and makes me feel like I am play Super Mario Bros.
    Pro 1) It is a minor pivotal scene the depicts how Padme and Anakin get involved with the start of the Clone Wars.
    Pro 2) It is a homage to older movies and how even modern movies can take cinematic tips from the old guys.
    Con 1) This scene does seem kinda like a last minute Lucas stamp in the filming of the movie mainly because Anakin seemed to stay in harm's way the entire time. In the background of the scene you can tell that there was a lot more room for him to get to that was less involved.
    Con 2) 3PO was an unnecessary addition to this scene. Everyone would have been happy just the same without him getting decapitated and shooting two or three droids in the arena.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  10. leehashbrown

leehashbrown Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2012
    My only gripe with the scene was 3PO's sudden flexibility. I think they could've had 3PO find his way onto the droid conveyer belt in a way that stayed true to the limit, rigid movement he has in the rest of the saga.

It was nice to see R2 bust out his jet-packs (I remember that getting some good laughs when I saw it in theaters). When I first saw the movie, I thought Padme was actually going to die in that big pot thing because they made it look like the pot she was in got filled with fire. We also get to see Anakin handle himself pretty well on his own (and the way he throws objects at the Geonosians foreshadows how he throws objects at luke in ESB). Overall, it seems like a classic star wars action scene to me.

I suppose that by the nature of being on a big conveyor belt it kinda feels a bit like an old video game. But is that bad? I thought it was quite exciting.

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  11. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I never even knew people hated the scene!!!!

12. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    It was a hightlight scene in AOTC to me, it was paced well, Anakin was impressive with his skills, (even with the flub with his lightsaber, it's still worth a chuckle each time I watch it), R2 had a nice scene, and the "On The Conveyor belt" track, was also a highlight on the score.

13. leehashbrown

Dec 29, 2012
    What score do you have? My soundtrack has no such track.

14. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Target had it as an exclusive track when it was released.

15. leehashbrown

Dec 29, 2012
    Sad, that would have been a nice addition.

16. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's yet another emotional action sequence. There's practical reasons(keeping the action flowing), but the symbolism, particularly when Anakin is trapped in the machine, is the important reason. Yet again, even in a sequence full of 1930s serial-style peril, the focus on character and story is paramount.

When I first saw this I was laughing at the jokes and enjoying the action, but when Anakin gets his hand pressed in the machine - his expression - it hit me in my gut.

The animated Threepio bit where he's hanging on for dear life is the only time I've ever agreed with prequel bashers. It's just inconceivable given what we know of Goldenrod. R2's rocket boosters? That's plausible and fun to have the EU figure out how he (presumably) lost them. I don't hardly ever agree with you Kilroy McFadden, but there you go. :)

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A droid factory that doesn't make droids??? :eek:

What are they supposed to be making, sparks?

Darth Chiznuk and Samnz like this.
  18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  19. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Even though you are clearly baiting, I will say it more accurately... I just watched an edit in which the R2 and 3PO sequences are removed from the droid factory and battle and it was simply brilliant. It felt like a sequence out of a Star Wars movie again.

20. bibfortuitous

bibfortuitous Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 2000
    Yeah we get it mate. Fan edits are great and you hate the prequels. Enough.

Samnz likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Can I have a fan edit of the Cloud City scenes without "the droid bits"? Maybe it'll feel like Star Wars again ;)
    Oh wait, I've just remembered I have a skip button.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I have no doubt that there is someone else like you out there who percieves those sequences in ESB as broken and has taken it upon themselves to fix it.

23. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I don't perceive them as "broken". Just clearly thrown at children and not very interesting to me as an adult. Now the Endor shenanigans annoy me a lot more.

24. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    There are people out there who have cleverly removed the childishnes from all six of the movies. I'm suprised the OT haters haven't replaced the GL edits with them yet.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The scene was a bit long, but I've always enjoyed MSTing it.

3PO: "But I'm programmed to understand human behavior!"

(As 3PO falls onto the conveyor belt) "And he's programmed to save your ass."

I even kind of enjoyed the cheesy humor. "My legs aren't moving. I must need maintenance." "Die Jedi die!--Oh no, what am I saying?"

I have mixed feelings about Anakin getting his lightsaber destroyed yet again. No, Anakin, Obi-Wan won't kill you, although I'm sure he would like to try. (Oh, wait...)

The beginning and the ending of the sequence was the best.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.