main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Best episodes(so far) of TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Indeed. It is hard to critique those arcs - Umbara and Hardeen - cause many people here do love those arcs for some reason.

And again, yay! Not alone against the UmbaraFans.[face_dancing]

hlc88 likes this.
  2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The bad thing about Umbara as an arc is that there's no big concept in episodes 2 and 3 that isn't already there in episode 1. Krell is at his most threatening to the clones before the last episode in the first. The second has great action but so does the first, the third has cool character dynamics that are already there in the first.

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    [​IMG]

Padawan Lost-The visuals were gorgeous and IMO have yet to be matched. The battle on Felucia was great but the characters really shone in this one. The Plo Koon/Anakin dynamic was great, revealing two very different types of parenting/mentoring styles. The original characters were brilliantly written and Kalifa telling Ahsoka off was very much appreciated. There was a whole new level of suspense in the show with this episode and quite frankly the original characters did here what saga characters couldn't do: create uncertainty about fates. The Trandoshans despite their voices were menacing and the detail on Wasskah was simply unbelievable. The final moments with Kalifa's death were incredible, coupled with the most beautiful shot in the series' history.

[​IMG]

Duchess of Mandalore-The best political episode of the series. It would seem that nothing major would happen here, but it's done remarkably well. The relationship between Ob-Wan and Satine is beautifully explored here with subtlety and the Republic being shown in such a negative light works remarkably well.

[​IMG]

Bounty-The best character study in the show. Ventress became fascinating here, with her "You don't" reply to Prismo a classic of TCW. Boba Fett is in the sticky transition of being a badass and getting his arse handed to him. The ix of bounty hunters was well-done here as was the music. Most of all though, Ventress's transition was summed up brilliantly with "You don't know who you are talking to."

[​IMG]

Innocents of Ryloth-Numa is one of my favorite characters of the Star Wars universe in general. Her innocence and her tears at the broken ruins of her home - you would have to be stone-hearted not to be moved to tears. The relationship she forms with Waxer and Boil is a highlights of the saga as a whole. Nara is an incredibly sweet ending for the episode. Obi-Wan deserves a shout out here as well.

[​IMG]

Voyage of Temptation-Obi-Wan and Satine's relationship was the centerpiece here and it was so brilliantly done everything else might have been complete rubbish and it might as well have been irrelevant. But it wasn't and that's why this episode shines amongst the 99 so far. The assassin droids were well done and the clone trooper who was used as a dead "weapon" was appropriately creepy. Anakin/Obi-Wan were used well here, you feel that they're like brothers. Tal Merrick was great as the one episode villain. Humor, dialogue, action, characterization, character dynamic, everything works.

[​IMG]

A Necessary Bond-My favorite of Season 5 so far. Hondo is excellent here and his bond with Katooni is well-done. A storyline from Season 1 is resolved here and here's a glass to resolving other story lines as well. Ahsoka is definitely maturing and this duel with Grievous compared to her previous one was a reflection of her strengths. Nevertheless, she wasn't completely powerful - she would be dead if it wasn't for Slave I showing up, and she realized this. Grievous was a good menace in this episode and his fight choreography was stellar - the best in the series. Oh, and did I mention Hondo was fighting with a blade and not a blaster?

[​IMG]

Carnage of Krell-I loved the Umbara arc but this episode takes the cake. The fighting was incredible, the characterizations of the clones was brilliant, and the episode remained true to the title of "Carnage". The most pivotal scene for me, however, was the clones vs. clones fight, and Waxer's death - it was so...sudden, random, and tragic, that the first clone to forge a relationship of brotherhood with Numa was killed by his own brothers in a friendly fire incident that illustrated the sheer futility of the war. I'm sure Waxer had never imagined his death to be so painful emotionally, not caused by clones at least - and neither could have we.

[​IMG]

Heroes on Both Sides-Raxus was incredible and to see another side of the CIS was welcome. The Bonteris were interesting, and it is a shame that we didn't see Mina's fate onscreen. The Ahsoka/Lux dynamic worked very well here for me and so did Padmé/Mina, who showed that two adults can work together for the common good despite their political differences. The "our business is violence" rang true not just for the suicide bombing on Coruscant, but the real world as well. The second-best political episode of the series and definitely one of its most mature ones.

[​IMG]

Cloak of Darkness-Luminara and Ahsoka clashed well here, both learning from each other. Ventress was appropriately creepy in this episode, ending with a welcome win for the CIS. Argyus was a surprise traitor and Gunray was hilarious. The lightsaber duels were well-executed and it was a welcoming sight to see Luminara get the spotlight. Her stabbing the droid with the lightsaber while facing the opposite way remains one of my favorite lightsaber moves of the series. Oh, and Paul Dini's writing, that always helps.

[​IMG]

The Gathering-The entire Young Jedi arc was a surprise win for me but this episode was an intriguing look into what it actually took to become a Jedi. The younglings were all well-defined here and Yoda was at his mystical TESB best. Ahsoka being there reminded me of just how much Anakin had missed in his Jedi training. Ilum was beautiful and so was the music. A mystical episode that takes a deeper look at what it takes to become a Jedi, and brilliantly done at that.

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Rookies, Lair of General Grievous, Voyage of Temptation, Deception, the entire Umbara arc, Revenge and Revival are my personal favorites.

The episode this season when Maul fights Sidious will probably trample all over these as my personal favorite.

5. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    100th episode for SW:TCW is coming up called Missing in Action and it has been a joy to watch this show grow and mature into something all Star Wars fans can love. What are your favourite Clone Wars episodes so far?
    Mine would be Carnage of Krell or Grievous Intrigue but would love to hear all your opinions

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Merged this thread. We are mostly very excited about TCW's 100th episode but we have a favorite episodes thread. =)

7. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I can see Missing in Action being simply a decent episode, but that's just me.

Anywho, it's good to know that the best episodes of TCW are better than the best episodes of the micro-series(which were few and far in between).

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    We'll find out this weekend where MIA fits. Its going to be as good as the last one and finally some clone action. Gregor looks like he is going to be an excellent character. With what I've seen so far, I'm already picking out alot of contrast between him and Cut Lawquane that's probably unintended but interesting.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  9. smuggler_vola

smuggler_vola Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2012
    Off the top of my head:
    • Voyage of Temptation
    • Lair of Grievous
    • Blue Shadow Virus arc
    • Umbara arc
    • Jedi Crash
    • Hunt for Ziro
    • Padawan Lost
    As for season 5, not my favorite season so far. Season 4 was fairly decent, but the first 3 seasons were much better in my opinion.

rumblewagon likes this.
  10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm another who was not overwhelmed with Umbara - it was a very good arc, I'll grant you, but too repetitous, Krell could have been set up to be far more complex...

I find even the "universally disliked" episodes to have fun moments, yes, even the "tea episode" or the largely pointless "Padme needs a fruit for her cake" episode.

So many of my favorites have been mentioned and then there's some which I like which are hugely unpopular as well.

11. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I concur that some of the episodes that are hated by almost every person in the TCW fandom get too much flak. And it seems that others can't see a good episode when it's there. Take a look at "A Sunny day in the Void." Genndy would never be so bold as to make an episode like that. It deserved more credit than was given to it.

AkashKedavra_93 and rumblewagon like this.
  12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    We're going to do a bit of a Royal Rumble for Seasons 1-4 to see which episode emerges victorious.

13. Ziro the Butt

Ziro the Butt Jedi Padawan

Oct 12, 2012
    The ones with Ziro.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    As much as I hate Ziro, I have to admit he doesn't ruin Hostage Crisis or Hunt for Ziro nearly as much as he ruins TCW film IMO.

15. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    You sort of learn to appreciate Ziro after a while. It was only after his tragic death that I started to realize just how much full of win he actually was.

16. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh, why not? I haven't posted here in ages. Gonna limit it to two per season so that it's actually a challenge.

Season 1:
    Rookies
    Trespass

Season 2:
    Duchess of Mandalore (the best.)
    Brain Invaders

Season 3:
    Heroes on Both Sides
    Overlords (the rest of Mortis can kiss my ass though)

Season 4:
    Bounty
    Carnage of Krell

Season 5... It pains me, but I can honestly say that I have yet to really enjoy an episode this season. If I HAD to pick a favorite it would be A Necessary Bond just for its fight sequence, but other than that it's just been so boring and random. Am I really supposed to care about heretofore unknown younglings/droids this late in the game? [face_tired]

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Season 1:
    Cloak of Darkness (Luminara vs. Ventress, Gunray shenanigans = win)
    Storm Over Ryloth (love space battles)
    Liberty on Ryloth (Mace awesomesness)

Season 2:
    Landing at Point Rain
    Grievous Intrigue
    Voyage of Temptation (despite the retcons)
    Cat and Mouse

Season 3:
    Heroes on Both Sides
    The Citadel

Season 4:
    Carnage of Krell

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Cloak of Darkness, Grievous Intrigue, and Lair of Grievous are probably my favorites. Also rather liked the Malevolence arc. The more recent seasons I find to be all bleh though.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Good to see Cloak of Darkness and Lair of Grievous getting lots of mentions, those are some great episodes.

20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Honestly, I love this show so damn much. I have to it narrow down from about 40 episodes that I love. So I'll get come back to this thread. Yes. I shall come back. Until then there must be no regrets... ahem, wrong show. :p

21. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
  22. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    13. Blue Shadow Virus. Oh, this'll be good.

EDIT: Claims "Ima-Gun Di"'s name is genius. I think I've read enough. [face_frustrated]

JackG and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. Darth_Cronos

Darth_Cronos Jedi Knight

Nov 7, 2009
    Cloak of Darkness is my favorite so far that has a really great lightsaber duel but also so does the nightsister arcs as well but both have asajj[face_dancing] ! The mandolorian arcs come in second tied with MACE WINDU USING THE SHATTERPOINT TECHNIQUE IN THAT ONLY EPISODE OG HIM LOL

on a sidenote we seriously need a yoda and mace episode thats all about kickn'ass and takin names!

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm a pretty big fan of Blue Shadow Virus, but calling Ima-Gun Di a genius name just sounds like trolling the reader. Unless it's sarcastic or something.

25. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    The more times I re-watch the series up to its current episodes, the more I find myself thinking it makes more sense to make a list of episodes that I don't like I keep finding more and more things to like in so many episodes upon multiple viewings that its becoming hard for me to really come up with a "top ten, twenty, or even fifty" episodes.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.