main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why not put a bomb in Vader's brain or head?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by RamonM, Jan 3, 2013.

1. RamonM

RamonM Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    Sorry for starting a thread as a noob but this is something i never understood.

It seems to be a practical last resort if he decides to attack Palpatine.

2. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Good question.

Maybe the bomb would run out of power after a few years? Like the battery goes out?

Vader might have been able to tell that there's something in him. He might suspect something like a bomb. Vader is already teetering on the edge of suicide, IMO. He's lost everything. Palps is basically all he has now. If he learns that even Palps is against him (which he eventually does in ROTJ) he'd probably attack Palps to get it over with or just commit suicide.

It could also be that the anger fuels one's power, like Palps was saying. Palpatine was super powerful. Anakin might have been able to pose a threat to him while he was still "fully human" (not counting the hand) but once he was crippled, Palps made the suit restrict him. I can't remember where I read this, but there was better technology out there than Vader had. Palps intentionally made his suit restrict him. He can't even do lightning cause of the suit! With being dependent on the suit, and Palps for that matter, Vader doesn't pose that big of a threat...IMO. Vader, even while in the suit, is still a B.A. ... so Palps doesn't want to get rid of him. If Vader did rise up against him, Palps would just beat him to a pulp so that he knows his place. But he's still in service of the Emperor. It's confusing. I don't even understand it. lol

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We know that bombs are implanted in slaves, and running out of power doesn't seem to be an issue.

But, as mentioned, Vader might be able to sense it.

4. RamonM

RamonM Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    And Palpatine might be able to hide it with sith magic or i bet there some sort of artifact for this purpose.

5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that if the Emperor had implanted a bomb in Vader, he ,(Vader,) probably would have found it during one of what must have been many body scans he underwent in dealing with the extensive medical problems he probably experienced due to ruining his lungs on Mustafar. If I were the Emperor, (someone tell me if there is an EU answer,) I would not have given an unstable diva with mad force skills like Vader a reason to want to get revenge on me.

6. RamonM

RamonM Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    Diva or no diva, he was always weaker than him.

7. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Still, Vaders emotional instability and paranoia is, in my opinion, a pretty good reason to not do something as obvious and detectable as implanting explosives in his body.

8. RamonM

RamonM Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    There are probably so many kind of metals and materials in SW. It would be impossible to detect them all.

9. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah but there's only a certain amount of miniture bombs that can be implanted inside one's brain.

DarthBoba likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There are a lot of these kinds of questions that can be asked, but this one seems ludicrous, not because it's completely illogical but because it's just "out there", it's "ludicrous speed".

From my pov based on the movies alone, Palpatine doesn't have much reason to believe Vader would betray him, and I think Palpatine believed he wouldn't, if he did he wouldn't have turned his back on Vader while he tortured his son. Believing Vader was his obedient servant was part of his overconfidence.

11. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Was his slave-bomb implant ever removed?(was it ever mentioned again in any EU material?)

If not, I wonder if Palpatine ever went to Watto to get the detonator.

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That's a really, really interesting thought. Kudos for the injection (pun intended?) of a fresh idea into the forum.

I don't see Palpatine as unsubtle enough to stick a self-destruct in Vader's suit and expect him not to notice, but taking advantage of a weakness that already exists would totally be his style.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  13. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    'Cause he doesn't need to. If Vader does act up, he could take him down easy. ;)

14. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I think the Emperor always held the Sith lightning over him as it would destroy his life support system. Which it did, Vader's life support fails after the Emperor lights him up.

If you freeze frame Vader being struck by the Sith lightning you will see his skeleton and several pieces that are obviously artificial... This was expanded upon in the novelization and EU, but the Emperor viciously beat his apprentice over the years causing many of these additional injuries after the immolation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually the EU doesn't say exactly how he got additional injuries- though it's hinted in Vader's Quest that he "offers up another bit of his flesh" after each failure. Early on, his hand was said to be one of those bits- though in AoTC and RoTS we find that both his hands were artificial.

16. Abernati

Abernati Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    There is something that could be miniature bomb in Vader's brain on the first picture. I terrible at photoshoping so please forgive me.

17. Ciradan

Ciradan Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2013
    Also Vader might try to take Palps out by blowing him up or trap him with a sith artifact that might destroy him. A bomb could be really usefull against a gloating Vader.Come on, we know he wants to gloat seconds before blowing up/destroying Palps.

What if Vader get's a significant part of the Armed Forces and the Navy at his side when rebels against him? A bomb that can be remotely detonated can come real handy and save a lot resources.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's a really cool thought, although, Qui-Gon "won" Anakin in the pod race bet with Watto. So how did Watto hand over Anakin with a "the kid doesn't blow up when he runs away" option? Did he just not blow him up when the detonator beeped at him when Anakin and Qui-Gon walked outta Moss Espa or was it removed, as per the deal when they won? Anakin was working on a scanner to try and find his, so no clue what happened with that.

EDIT: ah, here we go, kinda:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:KB:Anakin's_slave_implant According to the novelization, specifically page 197 if you have the American paperback version, the transmitter was "deactivated permanently" when they went to Watto's shop after leaving Shmi behind. The next sentence states, "It would be removed surgically at a later date."

But, on the flipside, it's possible the Jedi forgot about that. Qui-Gon was kinda dead on Naboo. Maybe Padme or Jar-Jar or Anakin never got around to asking about it. Be kind of an awkward conversation, y'know?

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am not an forensic anthropologist nor a doctor, but that does not look like a human skull (especially around the face).

[​IMG]

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It always looked like the breathing aparauts / mandile / Darth Vader helmet nose thingie were growing out of his skull to me. Also, yes, he has fangs for some reason. I just chalk that all up to an overzealous FX guy.

21. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't know, I'd sure make a point of asking about it! ;)

22. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Vader was only a threat to Palpatine if the Emperor was distracted. A frontal attack or challenge would be futile as Post Mustafar Vader's potential is gone and he is no better than Maul or Dooku. Vader knows how powerful Sidious is, he has seen firsthand what his lightning can do plus Sidious isn't too bad with a lightsaber that is likely always up his sleeve.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    ROTJ Palpatine: "Where's the damn remote control when I need it? AAAAAAA"

24. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    Yeah but i am willing to bet that a lot of jedi and sith die starfighter combat or because of bombs. We just don't see it because it's not as exciting as death by a lightsaber.

25. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    This thread actually brought up a genuinely interesting topic. Thanks for posting, RamonM!