main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Sith Lords are our specialty." Wait, what?!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Jan 1, 2013.

?

"Sith Lords are our specialty."

1. He was trying to put on a brave face for Palpy / psyche out Dooku

45 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. Damn straight Sith Lords are their speciality!

40 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Bravado considering Dooku then beats his ass then the Sith Lord he did not know was a Sith Lord goes on to rule the galaxy about 24 years.

2. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Well... technically, he said 'speciality' because of his English accent.

And it's definitely 'aluminium'. Oh, and 'pavement' instead of 'sidewalk', 'nappy' rather than 'diaper', aeroplane', not 'airplane'... :D Who says the US and the UK have the same language :p

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like the idea that he was just making a crack cuz Obi-Wan tends to do that, and he was going for bravado even though he probably didn't have any basis to back it up on (This is of course assuming Anakin & Obi-Wan don't kill Darth Maul at the end of Clone Wars, then it would have some cred).

Other bit there is Palplatine saying "Get help, you're no match for him, he's a Sith Lord" which I can wrap my head around as an expository line for the audience but I'm not sure how that works into Sidious' scheme. Maybe he was just trying to instill fear into Obi-Wan & Anakin because fear is power, etc. but what if they did just turn to Palpy and say "You know what, Chancellor? You're totally right. We'll be right back!" then what does he do? I guess Anakin fails his little New Sith Lord test, then.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    Palps probably knew that they didn't have any backup to call for!

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nappy? I took one of those earlier today!

Yeah, especially since there is a Sith Lord standing in front of them who they would have to fight anyway to go get backup to fight the Sith Lord who is standing in front of them (oh damn, I made my head hurt)! Unless we believe Dooku would have just let them leave without a word!

Fish On The Sand likes this.
  6. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Hasd anyone ever mapped out which worlds speak North American Basic, and which ones speak British Basic? :)

7. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I doubt it. Actually, it's not even that simple. For instance, some of the Jedi speak UK English and some speak US English even though they were all brought up in the same environment. Usually a child picks up the accent of the place where he/she grows up, so the Jedi accents are hard to explain!

8. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    And then there's the Kiwi Basic that Jango and the clones speak. That's an odd one. I assumed Jango was a Mandalorian, but according to TCW, the Mandos speak with an English accent. Plus, why would the clones have kiwi accents? It's not like they were raised by Jango. If anything, they should have the same dialect as the Kaminoans.

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It was just a little in-joke for the sequel-watching audience.

10. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    It's just another unthought-out Lucas throwaway line. Where are they getting help ON THE ENEMY FLAGSHIP?

11. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    In the book its a bit different and sounds better. In that its Anakin that replies; "tell that to the Sith Obi-wan left in pieces on Naboo".

As for unthought lines your right there is a few, "only sith deal in absolutes", before "Chancellor Palpatine is evil"

I also love the line about being safe on a volcanic planet [face_laugh]

ILNP likes this.
  12. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    I can see that scene right now...

Palp: "Get help, you're no match for him, he's a Sith Lord"
    Obi-Wan: "You're right, Chancellor. Excuse us a moment, Dooku - we have to go get some reinforcements."
    Dooku: "Yes of course, see you later."

13. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    From my pic, my bias here is obvious, but hey, whats with the ObiWan hate? Just a glib upbeat line in a very bad, scary situation, right? A little bravado? While we know Palpatine is really Sidious, if you assume he is a "good guy", he has to be pretty unsettled at that moment. Why not try to calm him some, reassure him? Just saying.

Valairy Scot and ILNP like this.
  14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Jango was born on Concord Dawn, not Mandalore, and his accent is representative of that different upbringing. As the Mandalorians are an eclectic group, with members from numerous species and origins, there's actually no one Mandalorian accent. The clones also have Jango's accent because it was Jango who helped design the flash-training regiments that are used to educate young clones; they pick it up from his recordings.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  15. MrFantastic74

Oct 4, 2010
    Cool. I'll buy that explanation.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  16. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Palpatine is probably worried that someone will see through his scheme. The battle of Coruscant is an enormous bluff. When Palpatine tells them to get help he is probably trying to disassociate himself from Dooku in the unlikely event that Dooku blabs or something. As for Sith Lords being their speciality, well, that's just bravado and a little bit of humour. After all Obi Wan mutters to Anakin that they should fight him together. That is hardly the talk of someone who is genuinely certain of success.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    Don't take all this swordfight dialogue so seriously. He was just saying it to sound tough. Even though I personally think Dooku is better than Obi-Wan in swordfighting, but Anakin is better then Dooku.

18. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    But didn't Obi Wan handily defeat Anakin and left him as a nub?

19. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Darth Maul, his little resurrection trick. Then Savage, Asajj, god knows how many "fake", or authentic Sith, however you want to classify. But at that point, Sith really were their speciality.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's like Scissors Paper Stone: Dooku beats Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan beats Anakin. Anakin beats Dooku.

Of course, the events don't take place in that order.

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Obi-Wan was practicing the ancient Force combat technique of Dun Möch.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Darth Ruian

Darth Ruian Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2013
    Anakin could have easily defeated Obi-Wan if he wasn't so crazed at the time. Anakin's knowlegde in
    Djem So and Makashi could have easily destroyed Obi's Soresu tactics.

23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I think in the three years since Geonosis, Anakin and Obi-Wan made it a point to prepare very seriously combat-wise for their next encounter with Dooku. They probably were able to analyze the Geonosis fight and get tips from Yoda's experience as well. The quote is kind of like saying "this is what we've been prepping for for three years"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It didn't seem to help much. Obi-Wan got taken out fairly easily and then Anakin won by grabbing Dooku's wrists.

25. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    Maybe he said that because he thought that he and Anakin together could have defeated Count Dooku.