main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Django Unchained

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's personal taste I admit. Seeing Django portrayed as a man willing to sink to any depth to be reunited with his wife made me lose interest in him.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I had the exact same issue with the movie.

After
    King's death and the gun fight
    , the film did slow down a bit and dragged on. I liked Foxx and Jackson's scene in that barn, which included some good acting by Jackson, but Quentin could've summed up the ending/tightened it up a bit.

I still like Basterds and Pulp Fiction better, sadly. :p

3. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    me too. though i've seen plup fictions too many times to really enjoy it anymore. i think my favorite tarantino is still jackie brown.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think you're drawing a distinction here that doesn't exist, though. Django and Schultz are partners; Schultz isn't just an unrelated third party. If Schultz acts out of character, here behind enemy lines, it impacts Django. It impacts his life. It impacts his ability to free his wife. If Candie smells something wrong with them, they could get killed. They could be refused the opportunity to free Broomhilda. He undercuts Schultz's offer because it is likely to get them in trouble, and there's no guarantee it would even work. Candie might prefer to get his money's worth out of the dogs. It's unlikely that they can both save this guy and save Broomhilda. Django doesn't want to run that risk. Schultz has drilled into him the importance of staying in character. Now he sees Schultz breaking character, so he pulls Schultz back. How is that different from the "opportunity to intervene but doesn't wish to blow his cover" scenario you've outlined? Django and Schultz are a team. They have an opportunity to intervene, but don't want to blow their cover. One of them almost blows their cover, and the other, the one with more at stake if their cover is blown, stops him from doing so. Does the presence of some small level of activity, rather than pure passivity, in his refusal to blow his cover, really create a wholly new moral calculus? I really don't think so. "If they'd just not helped, that would be one thing, but affirmatively saying they weren't going to help, whoah! Movie-ruining immorality!" It seems a weird hair to split.

Souderwan likes this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just saw this movie and thought it was great.

Armenian_Jedi and DarthTunick like this.
  6. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003

Jabbadabbado, skip to around 6 minutes in to see Jamie Foxx's take on that scene. If you're still interested in this at all.

7. Full Spectrum Dominator

Full Spectrum Dominator Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2013
    I don't think Django was ever intended to be a heroic character. He saw himself as a black ubermensch. He did say he is one in 10000. Even Candy saw him as a black ubermensch, he only lost respect for him when he realised he was coming for his girl. He revealed his weakness, thats why Candy called him an unimpressive n####. The only person other than his wife Dajngo seemed to respect was Schultz. i almost expected him to kill the the slaves on the cart at the end. He had no problem killing women...

8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    What's wrong with having no problem killing women? Miss Candie was complicit in the horrors that M. Candie was enacting upon his slaves. She also was the one who suggested that they castrate Django. Why did she not deserve to be punished for her behavior and endorsement of behaviors like her brother?

Having a uterus doesn't make your life magically anymore valuable.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Also, I can't think of a single reason he would kill the slaves on the cart. What would the logic there be?

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Honestly, I don't really see much of a connection between what Foxx describes as his process (how he worked through the scene as an actor) and how the scene is written and what ends up on screen. Artistic intent is largely irrelevant to how moviegoers experience a scene. In other words, what you see is what you get. Sometimes knowing what the artist was up to makes it worse, since it often becomes clear that they executed their "intent" poorly or ineffectively or just wrong.

I think the movie gets less and less interesting if the artist is insisting on portraying a protagonist who is nothing more than a degraded, violent, dehumanized product of a terrible environment. That's the point? Awful point, and boring to boot.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I really enjoyed it. Christoph Waltz was fantastic. I'm happy to report that the movie did not feel like 2 hours and 45 minutes.

12. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    *sigh* The ultra-PC crowd get's it all wrong yet again. :rolleyes:

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    This is actually one of my top three favorite films of the 2010s. However, I have to admit that Stephen using the word mother****er is unrealistic. I don't think that word was invented yet. Also, I'm not sure if people would use terms like "Planet Earth," as Candie did. But they might have. Even so, Christoph Waltz' Dr. King Schultz is one of my favorite film characters of all time. I like how Django basically defeats everyone but the house slaves at the end of the movie.

On a more humorous note, back in 2014, this movie was fresh on my mind, since I didn't see it until April 2013. And I was talking with my former roommate about how Dominos Pizza did not have good pizzas, but they said that Dominos did have some great deserts.

"That's good to know."
    - Djano, shooting Tarantino and the Australians

"That's good to know."
    - me, as I shoot the Dominos managers

Needless to say, I did not do any such thing. I don't own guns and never will. It was just funny.

15. Dr Silva

Dr Silva Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 23, 2021
    Can Tarantino please make Kill Bill 3 before he does retire , go godfather 2 with part 3 , have young Bill played by Austin Butler hes gonna be huge now with the Elvis movie hes done , he would be perfect as Bill, cast young actors to play Hanzo, Pai Mei, Budd etc.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
  16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hasn't he said he'd only do it with Vernita's daughter growing up and going after Beatrix?

17. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Weren't they making a Django meets zorro movie?

18. Dr Silva

Aug 23, 2021
    Yeah it would be flashbacks ala Godfather part 2 with young BIll and the rest, then you go to the present with Vernita's daughter going after Beatrix and Bibi.

19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You just added those together, didn’t you.

20. Dr Silva

Aug 23, 2021
    Nah ive been wanting a godfather 2 type Kill Bill 3 for long time , had Carradine been alive still maybe they wouldve cgid him to look younger for flashbacks but having a younger actor play him is what theyll have to do now .

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The first verified use of MF dates back to 1889 Texas, when during a murder trial, a witness used the word while giving testimony. Eight years later, transcript from a court opinion used the word. So the movie's use is somewhat accurate. Check Wikipedia, as I cannot link it for obvious reasons.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  22. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Interesting. I did not know that.