main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Government or Religious Influence on ST storyline?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bullhead CIty, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    In the OT, George modeled the Sith after Catholicism and the Empire after the Angelo-American World Power.
    The Jedi were modeled after Samurai and general Eastern philosophy with maybe a dash of Celt thrown in.
    Though the Empire's beginings were always thought to be linked to the twilight of the Roman Empire, ROTS still managed to squeeze in much (at the time) political commentary of the last decade.

What real world governments or religion could you see influencing the backdrop of the ST?

RAZORBLADE likes this.
  2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Well if rumours/old statements are to be believed, the ST will focus on spirituality - whatever that means?

Hopefully it'll have a theme which rebukes some of the rubbish about midichlorians in the PT.

However, it's still 'Star WARS' and to have a war you need warring factions, be they governments or 'terrorists/insurgents/rebels' what-have-you.

So in essence - who knows?

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  3. The other Cleopatra's

The other Cleopatra's Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    Mormonism.

JoeyArnold likes this.
  4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I have never ever heard, in all my years, that the Sith were designed after a Catholic model.

List your sources please.

5. The other Cleopatra's

The other Cleopatra's Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    They seem to be much closer to satanists.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And here I thought I had read everything...

A Tool and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  7. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    You all ahve to join the Order of the Ffib!
    Go to the EU Community and join us!

8. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Just as long as there aren't any blatant references to world events of this century in an attempt to make some political statement, I'm good.

10. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    The hand of Disney is in this one so presumably the politics will be kept to the bare minimum of good vs evil. Nowadays many see big corporations as the big evil so maybe the new Star Wars will try and make something of that but I highly doubt it.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Wall-E anyone?

A focus on spirituality could be good or bad depending on the direction it goes; as long as it isn't full of dogma and keeps the "destiny" talk to a minimum, I'm fine with it. Both the PT and the OT had a spiritual focus to some extent.

On politics, I thought Lucas did a good job in the PT in showing what happens if a country has a crisis, panics and puts too much confidence in a charismatic leader. A similar theme could be shown in the ST without a repeat of the same.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Did the PT bug you?

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    What about the OT?

14. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Were their comments on contemporary situations in the OT? Since I was a kid when watching them I hadn't thought about it much. I mean I definitely get the references to Nazi Germany, etc. but I haven't noticed things directly referencing the late 70s early 80s. The PT at times felt like a running commentary on Bush II.

15. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    The Nazi references were references to "events of this century," at the time anyway. The references to guerrilla warfare, for as far as the Ewoks are a reference to the style of warfare used by the Viet-Cong (which is debable, but Lucas says so, so...) would also be a reference to relatively contemporary events.

BTW as you're probably aware Lucas has always denied that the PT was a commentary on the Bush II administration (not sure if I buy that, though).

16. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Good point about the Viet-cong, I hadn't thought of that. As I was typing my message I was trying to think of something that may reference Vietnam since that still would have been fresh in people's minds.

I didn't realize that Lucas denies the PT commented on Bush II at all. I assumed it was something he embraced since he is fairly liberal politically.

I really hope the ST doesn't get too bogged down as a commentary on politics (which I doubt it will). It's too easy nowadays, both the left and right have lost sight of everyday citizens and only push party agendas. If that's what becomes of the ST it'll be disappointing.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    The PT - much of it bugged me, including the politics. I hate politics in general.

The OT - Nope. I was born after ROTJ and didn't see the OT until about 1990, so the WW2 and Vietnam references didn't bother me, it was before my time.

It's the unsubtle references to current (or recent) world events that would annoy me, I don't need to see people dressing up like Darth Vader and shooting up holotheaters in the ST, or a war on terror, or a movement questioning the new Chancellor's place of birth.

I don't like politics, I find it representative of the most depressing aspects of humanity and I do my best to avoid it. A subtle reference may go unnoticed by my ignorance and therefore unopposed.

Btw the "events of this century" only applied to the ST, because this century is still young, while the OT came out in the last quarter of its century (and I wasn't born, negating any personal impact of contemporary references).

Julius Vernon likes this.
  18. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly if it is spirituality, I predict we will see the Whills (whatever they are). You don't just tease the Shaman of the Whills at the end of Ep 3 then walk away. You have to come back to it at some point. Hence Sequel Trilogy

19. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    TBH, I can't find a specific quote now, but I recall reading that in response he claimed that the storyline was already there during the Nixon administration. Again, I find it difficult to believe there wasn't an influence--the shot of the burning Jedi temple pretty much speaks for itself. I suspect that Lucas likes to think of this as something not specific to the Bush administration, but as a "recurring theme" throughout history. As for whether there should be references to contemporary politics in the new SW movies; I'm all for it if it manages to do so in the above way--meaning, if it manages to be reflective of "recurring themes in history," while identifying whatever aspect of contemporary politics they chose to comment on as yet another variation of those "recurrent themes," just like IMO the PT did. (I hope that made sense!)

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I for one would love to see a SEAL Team 6 style opening to Ep 7, but shy away from too much politics. I don't think we will see much 21st Century Events if anything we might have a Republic/Empire Cold War or something along that lines

RAZORBLADE likes this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Yeah, the Whills would be good; people have brought them up before on this board as a possibility. I've been wondering whether the Mortis people are Whills.

Lord Tuvitor likes this.
  22. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I could see Mortis as Celestials however I would like the Whills to be something different entirely either a race or a Cult of Balance? Introduce a third party into the Jedi Sith Equation...

Julius Vernon and Count Yubnub like this.
  23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    IIRC, the Shaman of the Whills is not mentioned in any of the movies.

I have no interest in seeing the Whills in the ST or anywhere in Star Wars, they're not meant to be seen.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No Mortis. Please. Too much destiny and prophecy crap there.

When I think of spirituality in Star Wars being a good thing, I think of Yoda on Dagobah when he isn't talking about destiny (which is most of the time) and Qui-Gon telling Anakin that his focus determines his reality, and telling Obi-Wan to be mindful of the future but not at the expense of the present.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Actually at the end of Episode 3, Yoda tells Obi Wan that Qui Gon has discovered how to commune with the living from death. He learned it from the Shaman of the Whills.

So no politics no Whills, do you just want them to rerelease the Original Trilogy with nothing changed except a new generation cause if no new politics and no whills, what does that leave? You probably don't want the Sith to return either since Palps and Vader dying ended the Rule of Two