main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Which Star Wars book series is better? Legacy or Fate of the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediMasterKeno, Dec 28, 2012.

1. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I remember how we, as a forum, HATED NJO when it came out. We said it was too dark and had too much death, and the characters were all ineffectual. Now we hold NJO up as the standard for multibook series. I just find that weird :p

We are essentially making the same comments about LOTF and FOTJ.

Anyways, I prefer FOTJ more than LOTF. Partially because prior to LOTF Jacen was my favorite character, but also because FOTJ just seems to be more well written. I enjoy moments from both series, and I don't really think you're going to get much out of listening to the hatedom these series have on this board.

Now, if you're looking for fleet action, LOTF is definitely the winner of the two. LOTF deals with a galactic civil war, whilst FOTJ deals with, essentially, sith and other powerful force users.

Both have cool moments. I wouldn't discount either of them. If you have a library, you should check them both out.

PS: NJO totally rocks.

kataja likes this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't think it's too weird, when you consider how abysmal everything after NJO has been in terms of quality. Whether you liked or disliked NJO, either way it's going to look better when held up to the three piles of literary garbage known as DNT, LOTF, and FOTJ.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I wasn't around, but I liked the NJO from the beginning, the darkness, death and characters included. No changes here.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Ditto. And I love DNT, LotF and FotJ. So I win everytime! :)

kataja, DarthApprentice and Danzo like this.
  5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I still don't understand what's so appealing about the mess that is DNT, LotF, and FotJ.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Of course not, you haven't even read it.

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    love the njo. masterful poject

8. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Which FOTJ book is Allana featured the most in?

9. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I have no interest in reading them, due to the deaths of too many of my favorite characters and the general direction they took the universe.

10. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    How can you judge something you haven't read though? A large number of my favourite characters were killed off but I still enjoy them.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    The idea of everything that happened in them makes no sense to me. I see too many similarities with the PT and my gut feeling is LotF is a cheap knock off of the PT.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Hardcover summary of Betrayal does indeed make it sound like like a PT ripoff. I like it myself but I would have hoped that the Writers could have been more original.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I wasn't around, but taking a look around the forums back then, the reaction seemed more polarized than anything. Granted, I've seen positive words for LOTF and FOTJ, but they're absolutely swallowed by those who don't like the direction they took. In addition, whenever LOTF/FOTJ are brought up, it seems like the entire forum is ready and willing to give long and detailed explanations on why they suck; on the other hand, most of the complaints about the NJO were indeed things like "it's too dark" or "they killed Chewie!". Not that there weren't many valid complaints, of course, but it was definitely a different kind of complaining.

Interestingly enough, I saw a lot of people really enjoyed LOTF as it was coming out. It seems that the NJO met a somewhat lukewarm reception, but has become one of the more acclaimed series in the EU (though that may be just because the general feeling seems to be that the series improved as it went on). On the other hand, LOTF is flashy and entertaining on first glance, but the damage it does to the universe as a whole becomes apparent as later books are released.

But hey, it could be just a case of the loud minority for both.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I beg to differ, there's a reason the start of NJO is referred to as the Vector Prime wars after all! ;) If anything the tide of opinion was far more pro-NJO than anti. That changed significantly in the wake of SBS which fractured the pro-NJO fanbase greatly. The one thing just about everyone agreed on in the end? That TUF was a masterpiece!

Why has its rep gone up? Likely due to what followed it!

15. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Honestly, I think there has been a stagnation in EU lit since Ep3. I didn't really care for LOTF (didn't hate it though), and I thought FOTJ was alright. It just seems, more than anything, DelRay is phoning it in. Getting the same authors to do similar stories over and over again. I really hope Ep7 reinvigorates the EU in general.

xezene likes this.
  16. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Well, she's in the latter half of the series the most. Starting with Conviction, she's pretty heavily involved for the rest of the series, IIRC....

17. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    HELL YEAH!

GrandMasterKatarn and Zeta1127 like this.
  18. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Can you get that at Subway?

19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    You can get it from Del Rey. $8 for soft bread, $27 for toasted.

20. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Honestly, although I lost one of my favorite characters to this series, I have to say that I enjoyed the Legacy of the Force series more than Fate of the Jedi. I felt that the whole idea of Jacen going rogue and turning Sith in much the same way as Anakin Skywalker was an excellent premise. I found the Boba Fett storyline and Jaina's learning at the hands of mercenaries quite ironic and well-handled. I even found the death of Mara Jade to be handled well.

The Fate of the Jedi series, however, left me a tad ambivelant. THings really didn't start getting good until the end, but even then, I felt the idea of Abeloth to be...well, for lack of a better word - annoying. I can concede the idea of a Cthulu creature in the Star Wars universe, but all the existential crap that went along with it and how the universe's equilibrium was thrown out of whack by first Anakin (who was supposed to be the one that returned it to balance in Return of the Jedi) and then by Jacen in FOTJ. Well, it all just seemed to be a contrived way of getting Jedi and Sith to work against a common foe while backstabbing at each other at the same time.

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah i thought it was contrived as well. I actually enjoyed the first three novels more than the last three. Although i did really like most of Conviction

22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    If i'm being honest I don't think you should spend your hard earned money on either. I think both are decent (at best) and that there are far better novels to read. That being said, FOTJ was created to be a saving throw for LOTF, which was itself supposed to be one for DNT if I remember correctly. Both series completely succeeded in showing that the 9 book/3 author system should never be used again. What I can say that was good about FOTJ is that it was better written as a whole, because the author's didn't have pet characters this time around that the other two would ignore. LOTF always felt a little too much like 3 different stories taking place at the same time that would converge every now and again. Being what they are, both series have their share of retcons, but I think that LOTF at least had a more satisfying conclusion. FOTJ things are still in turmoil, and you're wondering what the hell can happen next. Luke finding out about Krayt still rubs me the wrong way, and the Ones being thrown into the mix felt so last minute it was painful. I feel that the series had a destination set in mind at the start, but ended up on a completely different point at the end.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I read Outcast and loved it! Seventy pages into Omen and it's great so far!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    The first time I read both of these series through I would have said LOTF. Now though I have reread both I would say that I liked FOTJ more. I am also one of the few that actually liked both series though in the most part. My only problem with either series was how stupid Jacen was in Fury/Revelation but it still does not stop me from hating the entire series.

25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    This alternating authors thing don't work very well.
    NJO was superior in quality in that you had at least 2, maybe 3 books where characters are portrayed consistently, because it's written by the same author.
    Where as the LOTF format (tm) have characters portrayed all over the place. Too OOC.
    However, NJO had too many Mary Sues and Gary Stus.
    Another reason I don't like NJO.
    I don't really get Star by Star. At the battle of Coruscant, the action was almost a stalemate one minute, and then boom. NR lost the battle just like that. I could swear that one page the NR were winning too.

I think people liked NJO because of all the action, whereas not that many people close to their hearts died. We only have Chewbacca, and Anakin Solo.
    Two characters which too be honest, in my humble opinion anyway, wasn't really involved in the EU. There was no investment in their characters.

People hated DNT because of the Joiners and how Jaina was assimilated by the bugs. To me it's actually the best part of the EU, but I guess people disagree.
    And People hated LOTF because of the death of Mara. Unlike Chewbacca and Anakin, the character had been there with their lives since the 90s, and every book at least had a mention for her. People identified with her.
    To be honest I don't know why people hate FOTJ, it's not that bad. The only thing is that all of Luke's girlfriends (tm) are all dead. I personally hated how they had Callista die because of Abeloth, but majority of EU people seem to not give her to time of day, so....