main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have a stuffed penguin. What should I name it?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Claude.

s65horsey likes this.
  3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    *Draws a deep breath*
    Well, I'm back.

My 180 days are over. Next monday is the turn for the next patch of poor little boys and girls to grow up as men or women as they choose.

Here's a photo of me on my last evening in army clothes.
    [​IMG]

I have masked my face so you can keep on picturing me as you like. As long as you picture a white human male, that is.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So I'm at the airport and they're playing a really oddly arranged instrumental of PotO. I guess we can call it the "Musak of the Night."

Misa ab iPhono meo.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    . . . the Third.

TrakNar likes this.
  7. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    So Lugija is canonically Revan.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I keep waiting for the camera to circle you so you can take off your mask and reveal that you are actually ME! :eek:

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Congratulations on finishing, Lugija!:)

Good luck conquering the galaxy. Just keep an eye on your old skinhead jawless roommate.

Lugija likes this.
  10. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    No. I pretty much spent my days being silent whenever superiors were around and doing what I was told. And reading Pratchett and Star Wars on my free time. If I were a Jedi during Mandalorian Wars I would have stayed at the Temple studying how the look of ships changed so quickly.

RC-1991 likes this.
  11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Now I'm disappointed you're not Asian. Had a feeling, you know.

12. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Waah! Rewatching the first season of Game of Thrones (as I have said, that's all I have read or watched from ASOIAF) and so many feelings and thoughts and insights in my head and no place to speak or write them. All my friends have channeled the Internet and watched the second season, and everywhere on Internet there are spoilers walking around blue eyes glowing.

And I thought that after the army my first world problems would end.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I haven't seen the second season yet, so if you want to chitchat feel free!

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Speaking of Game of Thrones, that starts again in a few months, doesn't it? I've actually only read the series once (I don't want to burn the series out by reading it a dozen times before the last one comes out), though considering the third is unquestionably the best in the series, I might want to reread it just for that. Then again, this is just the first half, and some of the more awesome developments likely take place in the second. Maybe I'll just rewatch the series in preparation for this season, and read it again for the next. Optimistic to think we may have a release date for Winds of Winter by then?

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yep, starts again in April.

Or -- worse yet -- how the color of their lasers changed. [face_plain]

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Way too optimistic.

RC-1991 likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, we could have a release date for sure.

It's just that believing it would be optimistic... and delusional.

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I just got Sleeping Dogs on Steam. For 91% off.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So. Apparently my friends here are big pen and paper RPG people, and they've decided to try running a Star Wars game (Saga d20 sadly, not WEG d6) so we're running a group email to see what era would work best for people. Well, it turns out that only one of them has read any EU at all, and he had a few concerns about my desire to play an Imperial since others would probably want to play Force users. I said don't worry, whatever scenario you can think of, I can probably find a way to shoehorn an Imperial character into the party for some reason or another as long as the timeline allows.

So then the guy's like well what about the Legacy era, since it has legitimately heroic Imperials? I said I had my doubts about the Legacy era since there's not much developed lore and that the Second Empire really wasn't the same thing. And he's like what are you talking about, it's the direct descendant of Palpatine's empire.

He has no idea what he's in store for now...

20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    A release window would be good enough for me. Are we looking at three years, or five? I'm guessing we won't know until it's upon us.

21. Lugija

Oct 3, 2009
    Oh dear. I sense a flip chart, marker pens, pie charts and a stormtrooper squad in his future.

Ris_jSarek likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Lugija , I started out with a short 5 paragraph essay. These are people, after all, unused to the sort of verbosity and level of detail we get into here. But if I have to, I'll start talking about Ars Dangor and the DESB... :p

Yeah. The problem is that he gets so easily distracted these days, so it's not certain when he's actually writing or not. He's also involved on the show a little bit, writing one script a year and generally looking over stuff (though they mostly do their own thing). And editing is apparently merciless, so if he has (say) 800 pgs of manuscript, it's possible that only 50% of that is worthy of final release... the rest is probably food description so gratuitous that even the editor had to cut it :p

23. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The good news is that TWOW should take nowhere near as long as AFFC or ADWD- he had to massively rewrite both novels, which A) were originally going to be one super-novel and B) would have been set 5 years after ASOS (Baelish even alludes to this jokingly in AFFC). This one should, with any luck, be released by late 2014.

I've also heard that ADWD was delayed by a few months in order to coincide with the build-up to the show, but idk.

24. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I assume your sources are appropriately cited?

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Could be -- we'd known that it was finished by like, late 2010.

TLI: No, I decided to spare them the footnoting for now -- what I gave them was an abstract. I've already got a reply: "you called Grand Admiral Pellaeon 'Pelly'??"

Rant #2 being composed as we speak. :p

If I really have to, I'll throw Publius's Sic Transit Gloria at them. He was more thorough about sources than I.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.