main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be provided for you.

If you cannot afford a doctor, you're out of luck, loser. No wealthy person is going to wait another week for a procedure that they want simply so you peons might get an appointment before your condition gets so bad that you need the ER.

Arawn_Fenn and VadersLaMent like this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Recently the locations of gun owners was released via a map in I think NY. I thought that was a dumb move. It's just as bad as handing out the locations of homes of folks who don't have guns. It was a pointless not to mention stupid move. Dumber still on the matter is Ann Coulter:

Then she started demanding various lists of things including "recently-paroled criminals," rent-controlled apartments, and women who have had abortions.
    "Why can't we get a record of women who have had abortions?" Coulter asked. "They get money from Planned Parenthood; they get money from Medicare and Medicaid, much of these are tax subsidies. I think mothers might want to know what other women on their street might be willing to murder a child."

[​IMG]

"Gives us attention, hobbitses."

Jedi Merkurian and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought that was a dumb move as well. It's been shown statistically that when criminals break into homes, guns are one of the top items that they're looking to steal. I'm not even sure what the point was in releasing that data.

As far as Ann Coulter; I listen to Thom Hartmann occasionally and he likes to interview conservatives for a point-counterpoint. Ann Coulter is probably the one that he has refused to interview. There's no point. She's foaming-at-the-mouth hysterical just for the hell of it.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    :oops:

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Ann Coulter said something outlandish and stupid to try and drive up book sales. Water is wet.

Edit: As to the matter of the data of gun owners being publically released, yeah, agreed, that was a dumb move. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to police having access to that type of data (especially as it could be used to track down where a gun originated if it's determined it was stolen in the aftermath of a crime), but having something like that released publically is just asking for those guns to be stolen.

7. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    P.S. I agree that Ann Coulter is an idiot. I'm not claiming that derp doesn't exist on the right. I'm only claiming that there's plenty on the left, too.

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Please. I made a whole thread on that in the JCC years ago :p

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You know he's fishing for a example when it's from years ago.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that a Democrat saying something massively scientifically ignorant doesn't count if they said it more than a month or two ago. I guess if Todd Akin runs for office again in a couple of years, liberals won't bring up what he said because by that time it'll be, y'know, "years ago". Right?

Anyhow - Coulter... the dumbest thing I think she ever said was that a terrorist could cause a plane to crash by simply opening an emergency exit in flight. Ignoring the massive lack of knowledge of physics (Airliners are pressurized to about 8.0PSI in flight; multiply 8 by the area in inches of an emergency exit, and, yeah... not happening) an engineering (Planes don't necessarily crash just because they depressurize) is the obvious of "Don't you think that if it was that easy, terrorists would have just done that instead of going to the bother of smuggling bombs aboard airplanes?"

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the point was that if Democrats are regularly saying massively scientifically ignorant things, you can probably find a more recent example.

The examples from the Republican end just in the past year would make a massive tl;dr wall of text. Hell, just the examples from Michele Bachmann would make a massive tl;dr wall of text.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    If a plane is pressurised to 8psi, and the doors open outwards, wouldn't that make it easier to open? You know, since that's the point of pressurising the plane, to increase it over the outside? Otherwise decompression wouldn't be a thing.

13. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, there's dumb stuff like Shiela Jackson-Lee asking about the American flag that the astronauts left on Mars, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. writing in Salon that vaccines cause autism, Barack Obama saying in a speech that he thinks the language people speak in Austria is Austrian, him saying that the United States has 57 states, him claiming that there was once an "Intercontinental Railroad", Al Gore not recognizing a statue of Thomas Jefferson, various 9/11 and Iraq/Afghanistan conspiracy nuttery...

But most leftist antiscience comes in the form of scares that have their basis in irrational fear of certain technologies. Here I mean stuff like the anti-GM crop hysteria, the horribly antiscientific anti-nuclear power hysteria, the belief in energy free lunches based on "green" or "alternative" energy, or calling for cancer warnings on cell phones (as Dennis Kucinich has done). Either that, or from antireligious hate, such as the bizarre War on Circumcision that's been making the rounds lately, despite circumcision's well-documented and scientifically-proven health benefits.

14. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Emergency exits don't open outwards. That's why you have to take them out and put them on a seat before you exit the aircraft.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Because no one ever got cancer from a cell phone, I take it?

16. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Nope.

Look, this is real simple - if cell phones cause cancer, then they should be causing cancer. In 1985, only one in 10,000 people in the United States owned a cell phone (of the old Zack Morris variety). Now over 80% of adults own cell phones. Yet despite the exponential growth of cell phone ownership over a period of more than a quarter of a century, with hundreds of millions of people holding cell phones up to their heads and gabbing away, brain cancer rates are basically exactly where they were in the 80s.

Cell phones are not causing, because they do not cause, cancer.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You're right - the documented cases of people getting cancer from cell phones were probably all faked by the liberals to hurt "job creators". [face_laugh]

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    None of these have anything to do with science. They are factual errors, mostly involving history or demographics about foreign countries. Further, they are fundamentally different than the topic of this thread, as most of them are simple misstatements that the speakers themselves readily self-correct when they are pointed. Certainly, Obama has never argued that there are in fact seven secret extra states no one else knows about. Yet, most of the examples appearing in this thread are strident statements made in the face of abundant data to the contrary. The denial of global warming, for instance. Summarily, this was a pretty terrible attempt at demonstrating parity.

19. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Name these documented cases.

Also you are of course correct about the doors...I was thinking of the normal exit doors which have keys etc.

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_language

Could have just been a shortening of "Austrian German."

Don't confuse lolbertarian conspiracies with liberals, thanks.

No one said these never happened. But the problem with right wing antiscience is the fact that right wingers attack the validity of science itself, while left wingers (mostly) don't.

HAHHAHAHHAAHA naruto just called OZK antireligious.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    People getting cancer from cell phones isn't even on my radar (and I just lost an uncle to brain cancer four months ago) but calling pro-environmental statements, or wanting to eat real food that hasn't been bioengineered to be sprayed with Round-Up and survive, "hysteria" while claiming that the homophobic and misogynistic practices of conservative Catholicism would make sane law, is hilarious.

22. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't know who came up with these "documented cases", or how or why they did, but sorry, science says there's no proven link between cell phones and cancer. Rigorous scientific study after rigorous scientific study has proven this. Flat rates of brain cancer over nearly thirty years of exponential growth in cell phone use prove this. Physics proves this, because it delineates the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation; and biology proves this, because the difference in effects on the human body between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation is settled science.

Cell phones are just radios. If radio waves caused cancer, none of us would live past 10 years old, because guess what - we're constantly bombarded with them every second of our lives. Every radio and television station that broadcasts in your city, your wireless router, your neighbor's wireless router, all the gear connected thereto, a constant deluge of RF from space... all of that is coursing through every cell in your body every second of the day. If it caused cancer, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Eh that's not what naruto ball z is talking about. There are a lot of conspiratards who claim that GMO foods have negative effects on one's health without there being any evidence and do promote hysteria regarding it (think 'frankenfoods').

24. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I have nothing against environmentalism. But that doesn't mean that everyone who calls themselves an "environmentalist" is somehow immune from making hysterical or ignorant statements.

That doesn't make that bioengineering harmful to humans. That it is or isn't is established by science, not by fear and hysteria.

Have you ever eaten corn? Then guess what - you've eaten a heavily bioengineered crop. Whether the engineering is done by crossbreeding over the course of years or by scientists is a lab, the end result is the same.

Sure, and "legitimate rape" could have been a shortening of "illegitimate and criminal rape". But in both cases, there's no evidence-based reason to believe that's the case.

Pardon me? This country could have its energy needs assured for the next century by building safe modern nuclear power plants. We don't, because of leftist antiscience hysteria. Sounds pretty "problematical" to me.

Oh, and did I mention the lefty "Population Bomb" nonsense that almost killed millions of people in India a couple decades ago? Yeah - good thing we didn't listen to that.

I'm not.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So let's figure out what game we're playing here...

Is it "Hey look over there!" or "They did it first!"?

A tit-for-tat game over which side of the political fence has more whack jobs is a bit ridiculous. Seems to me that you opened the thread, saw that most of the posters defined themselves as liberal, got pissed off and started posting about "look what they did!"

Do you have a point?