main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Now the OFFICIAL, SPOILERS-ALLOWED release thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 26, 2012.

?

Would you read this novel

1. Yes

114 vote(s)
    89.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    But that's the thing: The Dark Side predates even the Sith, both the species and the Order. No matter what, there's gonna be some people who embrace the dark side, and then some people who embrace the light side. The Je'daii are, as far as we know, the earliest unified practitioners of the Force, and they follow a path somewhere along the middle, with maybe a slight slant towards the Light Side. They predate the Infinite Empire by about a millennium, so for that time there was no light or dark order. By the time of Dawn of the Jedi, the Je'daii have fallen closer to the light, while the Rakata have clearly embraced the dark. The Force Wars will seal the deal for the next 25,000 years, forever dividing Force users between the light and the dark.

So no matter what, there always is a yin and yang to the Force. It doesn't matter what you call the practitioners of each, since the Force is eternal, Jedi and Sith are not.

2. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    That would be interesting to see the contrast for the Je'daii to the New Jedi Order.

3. Jedi Ghurubai

Jedi Ghurubai Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2012
    I would prefer to see some Order 66 survivors having some adventures in the Unknown Regions, maybe setting up academies out there.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When were the Sith emerging in the same timeframe as the Jedi? Wasn't it the Tales of the Jedi comics that introduced the notion of a "Order of Dark Lords of the Sith" in any detail in the first place?

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd prefer Luke learn about the original Jedi.

Maybe visit Tython.

6. Jedi Ghurubai

Jedi Ghurubai Jedi Youngling

Oct 22, 2012
    Post-FOTJ or beofre that?

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Either would work, though it'd be interesting to see Luke around the Zahn period finding Tython and deciding the Jedi Order's philosophy of non-attachment was flawed. You'd need Luke to have a reason to follow it in the first place since I doubt Yoda got into it.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    If he visited Tython wouldn't that mean the opposite?

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    What do you mean?

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, there was still an Empire to defeat, so Yoda only had time to focus on the important things, like that time Luke's father had that crazy acid trip and dreamed up that flying magical space station thing named Mortis.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I mean if he looked at the "old" Jedi would that not give him more reason to follow the rule?

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No... the Je'daii on Tython, and the Jedi for thousands of years, exited fine with families and marriages.

13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    But even in the first arc of DotJ had Je'daii sepated from their familes.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No it doesn't. Those who weren't Force-sensitive left unstable Tython, but that's it. Remember the Twilek girl with the Je'daii mother and crimelord father?

15. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    On Tython, depends on whether Luke actually found the Je'daii temples or the Jedi ones of TOR era. The TOR era order tended to be the estrangement from families approach so its quite possible any expeditions to Tython simply uncover those ones instead of the earlier Je'daii relics. Mind you, it would be an interesting reformation of the order if Luke found the Je'daii one and said 'hmm, the Je'daii way seemed more balanced compared to Yoda's order'.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    *achem*

Blithe likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the excerpt from Scoundrels mentioned hypergates. I wonder if those are these Gree devices that are apparently in TOR. Since a Kwa appears in the comic, and they're known for their Infinity Gates, I wonder if there is a relationship between the two.

18. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Not really that excited about yet another family feud in SW, but I'm glad to see (apparently) a non-force-user as the main antagonist.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    "Galaxy" must be a typo, right? Or does this take place generations after the comic book series?

20. The other Cleopatra's

The other Cleopatra's Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2013
    They could be aware of the fact that there is a galaxy out there. They were just cut off from it when the Tho Yor thingies arrived.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I presume it's just marketing hyberbole.

Well, unless you're one of the people who believed it when the back cover said Caedus was the worst Sith Lord since Vader. :p
    These days I increasingly get the feeling that "hypergate" is just meant to be seen as a general catch-all term for anything gate-shaped and involving fast travel.

A lot of the references in TOR don't always sound like they're meant to automatically be taken as Gree related, so it just seems the term has been widened into a generic one like how hyperdrives aren't always exactly the same.

22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    DOTJ #1 mentioned rumors of there being a hypergate in Tython's "Old City", which certainly seems to tie in to both the TOR and DOTJ Novel things.

Although I'm a bit confused as to when exactly this is taking place in relation to the comic. If it's after or concurrent with the comic, you'd think someone in it would remember that another crazy guy just tried to blow up Tython using the "rumored" hypergate. If it's set after the comic, why is the guy so eager to use the hypergate to escape Tython, when the Rakatan ship should offer a much better option?

23. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    That depends on how you define "worst." Do you define it IU terms, or just that he was a really really crappy Sith Lord. If the latter, Caedus wins hands down.

RC-1991 and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cronal likes this.
  25. max-attac

max-attac Jedi Knight star 1

May 23, 2009
    "First, you’re particularly suited to the investigations required. Your time on Kalimahr brokering the Hang Layden deal displayed your sensitivity in dealing with inhabitants on the settled worlds. The assassinations on Nox saved many lives and prevented many awkward questions for the Je’daii. And your defusing of the Wookiee land wars on Ska Gora probably prevented a civil war."

I saw this in the excerpt, so the Je'daii Council send its ranger on assassination missions.[face_hypnotized]