main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series 100th The Clone Wars Episode! - 5.12 - Missing In Action - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 2, 2013.

1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I thought this episode was really good. D-Squad is really starting to grow on me. In fact, I rewatched Secret Weapons this morning and I enjoyed it much more than I did a few weeks ago. WAC is actually pretty funny, and Gascon is a good blend of comic relief and military wisdom. The arc as a whole has introduced a lot of memorable characters.

Gregor's story was certainly engaging, if not a little far-fetched. Like @BarrissCoffee I couldn't believe the owner of the diner couldn't find another poor sap to wash the dishes. In fact, the owner's character was annoying as a whole. The writers really overdid his villainy. Sure, he was manipulative and cheap, but I don't think that constitutes his maniacal laughter at the end of the episode.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this arc ends. It's been strange and goofy, but it's pure SW, from the adventure aboard an enemy battlestation to philosophical debates about instinct and programming.

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Good thing I fixed the error one hour and twenty minutes, before you even commented.
    [face_party]

Off to go watch the episode...

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Saying that you messed up must be hard

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    God I hate WAC. This time it's his Jar Jar-esque ability to skip through blaster fire and not be hit.

[​IMG]

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Took me a moment to catch that...[face_laugh]

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This was decent episode but I didn't like the ending- if Gregor supposedly died they should've showed him being shot or something. Droids had pretty awful accuracy again- they could've damaged wac little bit since he is a droid character. Nice to see sullustan in TCW though and those bugs and all little details. So is there still one more episode of this arc?
    + new alien designs
    +Clone commando- references like the view from the helmet
    + That discussion between Gascon and Wac "Leave me" "Okay"[face_laugh]

-Gregor didn't have much time to shine
    - droids cannot hit anything at all....

Btw did Gascon mention Malanchor in some saying?

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    didn't you hear WAC is the future of the Jedi Order :p

8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Yes, Filoni just announced it.

9. LadyTila

LadyTila Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2010
    Is this the last episode of the arc or is there one more?

10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    That is going in the caption thread. ROFLAMO xD

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    OK, but in the small print rules you guys came up with(that likely none of the regulars read) it clearly states that Spoilers are not allowed for two weeks. Thus Anakinfan read that and thought there would not be spoilers, because thats what it says. Those of us who have been here since this show started are used to a completely different rule set.

Now no one seems to know what is going on, SSS is editing out spoilers and then putting them back in. No one seems to know that a policy change was made and rules are being made up as we go along.

I watched the show last night, wanted and would like to comment on it, but will not until you all figure out what you want to do. I just can't bring myself to understand why we go from posting spoilers for future episodes like all the Gregor talk in Secret Weapons and Sunny Day, to not even being able to discuss episodes when they air.

I know the TV forum moderation team are all fairly new to this forum, and the epsiode discussion aspects of it, but please try to get it together.

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Exactly what I thought of this morning.

13. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This is one of my only complaints about this arc I love. There is no real threat in the form of a villain. I love the adventure... but nobody has been really much of a villain if you look at that way.
    And how is he not a villain!?

How to be a villain for beginners.
    1. He is a person that wanted Gregor as a slave
    2. He threatened him if otherwise
    3. He kept everything about Gregor a secret for his own benefit
    4. Monologued like a bad guy
    5. He ended his appearance with manic's laugh

VILLAIN! Not one of the good ones, but a villain.

Anakin does the same thing all the time... and even most of the clones do that. Rex, Fives, Wolffe and so on...[face_laugh]

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  14. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The most gratuitous example would have to be Thire and another of the shocktroopers in Ambush crouching in the open a few metres away from a group of super battle droids. All the droids' shots go way over their heads. Thire's character shield saved them, of course.

In my view, it's better that this sort of craziness is done with a character (eg. WAC) with whom it's just tomfoolery than if it were with a character who's supposed to be taken seriously. It's not ideal, though.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm a non-spoiler guy, but people should absolutely be able to discuss the episode openly here after it airs, regardless of scheduling. I knew some would be able to see it before I did, so I stayed the hell out of this thread.

This episode was more grounded in reality than it was a mental wankfest, and that helped a lot. They did a pretty good job of avoiding the terrible sentiment of the previous two episodes.

I enjoyed the setting. The Aleena stick up, the diner, the Sullustan (first in TCW?), the bugs crawling around....it was a nice look at a ho hum part of the galaxy.

Seerow nice catch with "Let's get dangerous", I caught it too. I thought maybe "I'm still hungry" was a Land Before Time reference.

I thought I noticed some Indy music, used for hijinks, like when Karen Allen is getting chased around town in Raiders.

The Sullustan....was amusing. I loved his model. He was just a jerk for the sake of it, like Krell. "You are dishwasher, you wash dish". lol

That said, him revealing the CIS plot and laughing maniacally was just painful.

The HUD was sweet, no doubts there. As was the sound of the DC-17.

Save yourself! Okay! got a "ha" out of me.

Loved the oblivious load lifters just carrying on in the background.

The ending was decent.

Hard for me to score, the episode wasn't great, but it'll get a passing grade.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan, Shouldn't that be more of a running gag in SW? If you whanna avoid getting shot don't wear completely white armor.

Yep he did the evil laugh. I actually think that the Diner Owner took Gregor in because he knew who/what the guy was. He used the clones' so innate, obedience, became like his commander, and pretty much got himself an indentured servant/ borderline slave. He also likely was using Gregor's skills which were likely intact to bounce his diner since that seemed like a pretty rough area in the Void (the Aleena with the knife, LOL) then telling him he's worhless so he never thinks to rise up. He never thinks. Its no wonder they used Rex's holo in this episode. Rex once gave a cool speech about that, "I used to think being a good soldier dish washer meant doing exactly what we're told. But we're not droids, we're not programmed. You have to learn to make your own dicisions." ...Gregor not so much.

@CT, I was shocked to hear the 'Lets get dangerous'. Nice catch with Land Before Time. I think your on to something.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Gascon was a total idiot for blathering on about being a Republic colonel like that. Stupid, stupid, stupid but without apparent consequences.

Diner owner was a bit of a moustache-twirler.

I'd have liked to see - although I understand why we didn't - Gregor's explanation/viewpoint on "resuming his soldier identity."

I realize Gascon essentially "played" Gregor, but in a war, I suppose that was essential, actually. The encryption module is the mission and everything else is subservient to getting it back to Coruscant.

Such nitpicks aside, the episode was fun and entertaining. Color me crazy, but I like WAC. I like WAC's interactions with the droids.

As for spoilers: I stayed away until I saw the episode myself. As to policy, well, I'm not wedded to any viewpoint, but just a thought to consider: Canada apparently airs half a day before the US. I have no idea about other countries.

If the idea is to spoil as few as possible without some crazy wait period of weeks or longer, and I suspect the majority of the board is made up of Americans, ONE option is to set the deadline for US airing.

Otherwise, Canadian airing as first airing is acceptable as well (to me).

18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    So you agree - Villain.

I would not be shocked if the Rex thing is not in the trivia.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yup! ...or else we all collectively misunderstood him.

One more to go...

20. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    He did! That was awesome... MALACHOR!!!!!! [face_dancing]

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I noticed that as well. I let it go thinking maybe no one believed Gascon was a colonel in the Grand Army. Perhaps he will pop up later granted why a fry cook would be important is beyond me. I hope he hasn't been hanging with any STDs.

Wow, could it be Gascon is a homage to Darkwing Duck this whole time in this cartoony arc and WAC is Launchpad? Launchpad isn't the brightest glow stick at the rave but he keeps DW from flying off the handle. The personality... Lol... now that I really think about "Lets get Dangerous" he does remind me alot of Darkwing Duck now with his arrogance and overblown sense of self importance. Even talking about himself in third person. - "The magnificent, dashing, daring mallard patrols the streets of St. Canard." -DW would stroll in and tell everybody who he is, demand to be fed, then he usually gets his ass handed to him. He's often bailed out by others. Its to bad I don't see any of DW's redeeming qualities.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    That may be the best post I've seen in LACWAC. Like, ever.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Did anyone else really love the score at the end of the episode? I really liked it, I hope there is music like that in the Mauldalore episodes!

24. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I don’t think Gregor died, it wasn’t really filmed like he did (not like with Heavy), the final explosion wasn’t that big.

I thought this was the best episode so far of this arc, but it still felt pretty wishy washy to me. Still way too much walking in circles babbling and the plot is still pretty annoyingly aimless. I liked the Gregor parts, but it’s pretty disappointing that we had seen 90% of his action scenes already 6 months ago. There’s something missing from this episode that makes it feel really, really bland, just like the rest of this arc.

6,5/10

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The non-spoiled triumph once again!

You have already watched S5, which means your only choices are to watch S5 again or wash dishes!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa!

HA HA HAHA HA HA HAHA HAAAAAAAA!