main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Cause he makes a cameo appearance in ROTK

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Concept art for Dwarf women (the little princess is oh! so cute):
    [​IMG]

On an unrelated note, I got a bit of Fridge Logic (Brilliance?) thinking about why Radagast would be able to see the Witch-King, when Frodo could only see him when he put on the Ring. Radagast is a Maia, i.e. an Ainu, so maybe he can see things the normal folk can't. A bit like how some animals or insects can see parts of the light spectrum (most notably UV rays) to which we are blind. Maybe part of an Ainu's powers is to see in the worlds between, and communicate or interact with the spirits in a way Men, Hobbits or Dwarves can't. As Elves seem to have certain powers, too, I can't hazard a guess in their case, but Galadriel's involvement in the destruction of Dol Guldur hints at abilities the other races don't seem to share, unless it's her ring lending her new powers (though why a ring controlled by the One would allow Sauron's defeat, I have no idea). Perhaps the Elven Rings also allow their bearers to do things other Elves can't, which could explain the telepathy between Galadriel and Gandalf in AUJ, and Elrond and Galadriel in TTT...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There is something we hear when he appears; it sounds like the indistinct Black Speech-type growling usually associated with Sauron. Maybe Cumberbatch was doing that?

It probably translates to "You think your world is safe..." :p

Random Comments likes this.
  4. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Sean Bean appears in the theatrical version as well in one of numerous unnecessary flashbacks (one flashing back to the prologue of the film 15 minutes after the film has begun!).

5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Through the growling indistinct "speech" present in that scene, is the awesome and unmistakable voice of the great Benedict Cumberbatch. Also, you can bet there will be additional moments in the Extended Edition.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Fair enough, I don't remember hearing anything besides what sounded like a growl or some other noise a disembodied kind of being might make.

7. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    return of the kling klong ding dong

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I imagine the Necromancer will hail a passing London taxi and say to the driver, "Follow that Istari!"

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    He'll look at the approaching White Council attack force and say to himself "This is a three-Nazgûl problem."

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so I just got back from seeing this and colour me unimpressed. The reviews comparing it to the prequels were spot on; it was visually impressive but lacked soul and it felt like it followed the same template as the Fellowship of the Ring.

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    In the EE I expect there will be a scene showing that Mrs Hudson is in a constant state of distress about how untidy Dol Guldur is.

Rew and NYCitygurl like this.
  12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, the book Fellowship does follow the same route as the first part of the Hobbit, so you'll have to blame Tolkien for that... :p

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Except for the Barrow-downs, Tom Bombadil's love shack, the Old Forest, Bree, and Weathertop. But, close enough.

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    It might not be mentioned in the book, but since Bree is right on the eastward road to Rivendell, it's likely they passed through it (possibly even rested at the inn). They would also pass Weathertop - unlike Frodo, who had to stay off the road as often as possible, Thorin's Company had no reason to do likewise.

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Yeah but what'd you think of the bunny sled?

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Azog was camped out at Weathertop.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So I have finally purchased my very first copy of The Hobbit. This will be the first time I have read a Tolkien book aside from flipping through a few things like a bestiary. As a youngster I caught the animated films and loved them as a child but I have not seen them in...oh...well...since the early 80's at best. (we need a face_old_man).

My "Tolkien" was D&D. D&D is one of many things inspired by Tolkien. I have little play experience, but the lore of the game is fun. So now I take the reading plunge.

18. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I know. I was talking about the book.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Sidebuuuuurns!!! [​IMG]

Oh, and I've just come back from another viewing. Managed to spot PJ's cameo, finally. :p And you can definitely hear Benedict Cumberbatch whispering "Radagast" in that Necromancer cameo, so I guess that's what the credit was for. :p

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, I'm going tonight. Non-3D showings are once a day around here and that's what I'm going to. I've already written a negative review and can't wait until I can actually post it tonight. :p

Darth_Omega and SuperWatto like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You miss my point. There is a difference between commenting on the route (which i wasn't)and commenting that the film was a padded-out collection of set pieces designed to follow the FOTR playbook. Which i am. I would have gladly traded half an hour off the run time and traded it for some soul and genuine emotion.

Bacon164 likes this.
  22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    TIEM FOR A DISLIKE BUTTON.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm not as big a fan of the Hobbit as I am LOTR, which I discovered through my D&D group in the 90's and re-read every year for maybe 8 years or something...

The problem with Tolkein's works is the same problem with any genre forerunner - people get time to write better fantasy based on your trailblazing.

Also; the 1982 Conan the Barbarian is not only the best D&D movie of all time, it's the best fantasy movie of all time. Yes, Tolkein fans, I said it and it's a fact of science so you can't argue. :p

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    SLG, you know that vote I put in for Ender as most intelligent. DISREGARD IT

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    That explains a lot, actually. =D=

Conan the Destroyer, not so much. [face_sick] BTW it's Tolkien.