main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series 100th The Clone Wars Episode! - 5.12 - Missing In Action - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    You mean that chorus? Yes, I loved that too, I was repeating the ending like five times because it was so beautiful. [face_praying] Give us more of this, magic score-man!

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    LOL, "wash dishes" ...

3. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
    I liked the Walrus Man cameo.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh, that chorus there in Gregor's 'stand', that was epic. It really help make that the best on of the series IMO. Somebody give Gregor an Oscar!

Dathomir-Witch likes this.
  5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I was bored throughout this episode, if the scenes hadn't been released in the past they were boring. Next week's should be interesting with
    Carida

cwustudent likes this.
  6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Nygh I'm going to be late to work because I'm posting this but it's worth it.
    [​IMG]

7. MakingStarWars

MakingStarWars Jedi Master star 4

Oct 20, 2008
  8. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Vintage Walrusman cameo made me chuckle. Finally, this arc got pretty good. Now, let's end it and get back to Savage, Sidious, Dooku, Grievous, Maul and Ventress!

9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Indeed. Kiner's music has progressively gotten better this season.

The Shadow Emperor and Seerow like this.
  10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think so over the last couple seasons.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    -I feel the episode might have been better if the pacing had been different, especially in the first act.
    In fact, IMO the whole arc could have been more excitingly timed to make full use of all the individual elements:

My what-if proposal:

1st episode: The Astromechs awake aboard the Separatist Shuttle. Mace gives them a holo briefing- the Colonel enters and clues them in on the gadgets they've been installed with and how their mission goes. He continues telling his briefing in a voice-over as they land on the Separatist Cruiser and execute their mission. Zero-G fight and escape. They enter Lightspeed but quickly realise they're caught in the comet shower. The ship crashes on the nearby planet.

2nd episode: Stranded in the Void. Basically "A Sunny Day in the Void" cut down by one act. They find the village, enter the bar, Gascon notices Gregor's a clone and forms a plan.

3rd episode: Begins with "Missing in Action"'s 2nd act. Gascon manages to bring back Gregor's memory. Gregor has a 1-2 minute long, dream-like flashback of the battle he was in. He confronts the cook, gets his armour, a quick moment of brooding followed by a pre-mission preparation scene follows.

-I really liked Gregor, although him sudden regaining his memory and skills because there is too little running time left was jarring. But his final stand-off- wow! Brilliantly dramatic!

-In hindsight I really wish Gason had been given some field experience, or at least some tactical knowledge, or dignity. He is completely undefined, displaying anything between delusions of grandeur to tactfulness through war-hardned speeches.

-Ha! Vintage Walrus Man.

-Bugs and insects crawling around sure added to the feeling that the village was alive.

-The food lying around near the garbage looked too Earth-like.

-Liked that shadow coming through Gregor's apartment window moving across the lined-up Astromech Droids.

-While I found the score mostly distracting throughout the episode, Gregor's moment of glory was scored utterly amazing!

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    TCW has this weird habit of paying closer attention to the details of the scenery over the details of the plot.

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
  14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I can tolerate an incoherent plan. But what I can't tolerate is the animation department dropping the ball on an animated cake. I loved Evil Plans.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. scarecrow007

scarecrow007 Jedi Master

Jan 5, 2013
    Good to hear that I wasn't the only one who loved that. I only wish someone would upload the score online.
    P.S. This is my first post.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Welcome, Scarecrow!

You just missed Batman. Two seasons ago.

rumblewagon and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  17. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Welcome! There is someone on YouTube who often posts the scores! I could do it but I rescore scenes! :p

18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Welcome to our remote sanctuary, Scarecrow!:)

Darn, it took me a while to figure that one out.[face_sigh]

19. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    *reads previous posts* Wow, I called it. As soon as the episode was over I said to myself "Yeah, the forums are gonna be blowing up over this one."

I had problems with this episode. It genuinely did have potential, but in the end...it felt like an episode where they tried to cram more into 22 minutes than they should have. I haven't seen an episode like that in awhile (in my own opinion). now, if it turns out Gregor wasn't really blown up and he turns up later, then that's kinda neat and I don't mind the ending so much. Otherwise, though, if he really stays dead, then my question is, what was the point of him to begin with? his role of drawing fire and being a target could've been done by any random sort of character, why a republic commando with amnesia? it's like they took a character with an interesting history that they theoretically could have built an entire arc around and used him as a throw away.

It had some good action, and the story concept of a clone losing his memory is an interesting one. Those parts I really enjoyed. The ending just made most of it rather pointless. We had absolutely no chance to explore. No character development. I know you can't give character development to every character and I don't expect it, but when you introduce somebody in an interesting situation like this, then inquiring minds want to know. I want to know about this battle he was in, how he wound up on the transport, what the cook knows and when he knew it, but now there's no longer a reason for it.

I'm going to watch it again with my mother tomorrow. Maybe I'll see more than I saw today, but just at the moment, it's certainly low on my list of clone wars episodes.

One more thing before I go: The Colonel was a total idiot! You don't march into a diner on a planet of unknown allegience in wartime and announce you're a high ranking Republic official!

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't see this as blowing up...
    Dude....

The cake was a lie.

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  21. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    So is this ARC 50/50.

My guess is the Separtist capture him find him impressive and try to brainwash him onto their side.

22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So all this hype for Gregor for him to be a commando for 5 minutes and then die
    [​IMG]

23. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    If it wasn't for the awesome 3 minute ending, I would of been completely disappointed, now I'm just a little disappointed because of how much time they spent on the stupid owner and how lame they made him and the whole transition of Gregor regaining his memories and skill level( lets be honest, he was a complete badass) was way too quick. Would of been nice to introduce Gregor in the 2nd episode of the arc and have him regain everything by the ending of the episode. Start the third episode with him regaining his armor and move from there.

Oh and he's alive, we would of seen a helmet or something(like Echo) to tell the audience that he is dead. Not to mention they hyped him up way too much. I do want to see him again so I better be right.

Seerow likes this.
  24. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    WELCOME BACK CLONE WARS!!! YOU WERE DEARLY MISSED. and i missed discussing with you guys!!

Ok. WOW. Gregor. Wow.

let me be perfectly honest. i had NO IDEA who Gregor was when it was learned he would be making a CW appearance. But my gosh, I fell in love with his character in this episode. Honestly, this episode felt like it was MUCH longer than the 23 minutes...in a good way. At the end when Gregor sacrificed himself for the group's escape, i was honestly trembling in sadness, and I have known this character for about ten minutes. More honesty, clones kind of annoy me in this show...maybe it's because they turn on the Jedi as we all know but Gregor is just an awesome character. The hype was worth it. The wait - however- was not. the two previous episodes remain ABSOLUTELY UNFORGIVABLE in my book.

Some highlights before I catch up on this thread's postings from the top.

I didn't care ONE BITH for Colonel Gascon. In fact Gregor's only negative from this show might be his sacrifice for that little bug.
    +++++++++++++Gregor's Armor
    I also really appreciated and found it cool that once his memories were restored and he remembered he was a Clone Trooper, he respected the Colonel's orders and treated him with the utmost respect. Gascon seemed relieved to have a true soldier at his disposal, and he was flexible in his planning from then on out and rightfully deferred to Gregor's combat knowledge in the final part of the episode.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++The score at the end. It just added on to the sadness of Gregor's sacrifice. There is no way they kill of his character after such a brief visit (RIGHT?!) but there were QUITE A FEW droids he had to fight off if he were to escape with his life.

I still don't like WAC's character. However, he was well written in this episode. If it weren't for the first two of this arc, I'd perhaps enjoy his character.

R2 is a born leader.

Some little gripes I had...
    when the battle droids are spotted by the astromechs, they (comically) back up against the wall. Isn't that tactic usually reserved for a sneak attack? A simple turn of the head by one of the Battle Droids would compromise their position and the whole darn mission. then again, i'm foolishly expected Battle Droids to make a heads up (pun heavily intended) play!

Gregor's former boss is a total d*ck. Him "Dishwasher" line has surpassed Foley's "Hothead" from (the don't-even-get-me-started-on TDKR)

Also if Gregor were to ever come to a situation or circumstance that would jog his memory, the boss' plan was to say "oh heres all your equipment let's see what you got?!" really? I guess technically he had Gregor at his mercy before "Attack of the Mechs."
    The very next scene he was dropping droids left and right and left and right and left. His talent was jogged a short while after his memory apparently. I'll chalk it up to the time slot, but those first 2 episodes get NO MERCY AT ALL.

Best of the arc would be an understatement. The other 2 are my least favorite CW episodes ever. This was quite a good episode. Sorry for rambling. missed you guys!

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    -brofist for the score- Welcome to LACWAC!