main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A Brian Wood's Appreciation and Admiration thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Hendorff, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hendorff

Hendorff Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    He absolutly deserves one. I only read Issue 1 of the DMZ and it blew my mind. I am almost finished with Northlanders and it's pretty darn good. The firs arc with Sven the Returner was the absolute best but the rest was really good too. He truly has understanding how much of a complex society the vikings had. Also, no helmets with horn's!!!!!!

I cannot wait for his SW comic to come out.

If Stover has one, Wood should get one too.

2. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    He's one of the best writers working in comics today. Even his first project, Channel Zero, still stands the test of time. The recent Complete Channel Zero from Dark Horse is astonishingly cheap for how much awesome you get.

I'd recommend The Couriers to anyone who wants a "one and done" Brian Wood trade. Just a great action story.

DMZ is a staggering work that is a career highlight, but it is long-form comics, and (iirc) at least seven trades.

NORTHLANDERS is nice because all the arcs/trades can be read on their own.

Wood also has plenty of superhero stuff out too, for people who like superhero comics. His Generation X with Warren Ellis as creative consult was great, but his recent X-Men work both in the Ultimate franchise and the regular universe has been entertaining, and he's done stuff like the "epilogue" story for the original version of Wildstorm/DC's DV8 characters which is collected in one trade.

He's also a brilliant design artist, and the work he did on covers for projects like Warren Ellis' Global Frequency still stand out as how to break the mold in terms of what comic book covers can be.

His new comics THE MASSIVE and MARA are off to good starts as well, the first from Dark Horse and the second is at Image.

Honestly, it's been a LONG time since I was this excited about a Star Wars comic. I'm really looking forward to this, and to seeing what Wood does with the Rebellion.

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    DMZ racks up a quite awesome 12 trades! It remains quite scary in the future it envisages too. Add in a smattering of very sharp observations about the western attitudes to war and destruction and it deserves its impressive reputation.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    DMZ was clever take on an otherwise overdone theme, so if he can revamp the post-ANH era with something equally intelligent, I'll be a fan.

(Well, I'm already a fan -- I'm just not sure how he's going to do with SW, which is completely different...)

5. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    I know it's not proof on how people will greet his SW stuff, but he's no stranger to genre hopping or franchises, so I have a lot of hope and excitement for this.

When I think that the same person behind Channel Zero did DMZ did Generation X did Ultimate X-Men...well, he's already impressed me with his ability to shift between tones and genres.

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've only seen bits and pieces of his creator-owned stuff, but I'm really liking UXM at the moment. I had issues (pun not intended) with his Gen X run but not entirely for reasons that I believe were his fault.

7. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    Yeah, his Generation X run was part of the Counter X program where Warren Ellis served as creative director on four failing X-books in an effort to revive them. He picked the creative teams and wrote the first storyline in each while the creatives he brought on slowly took over from him.

Wood's Generation X was a little rocky...probably because the remit was always a bit outside Ellis' wheelhouse and it was the one that had fragmented the most over the years to the point where the characters were kind of a mess.

Wood actually respected what came before in the title, and in some way improved it after some odd choices by the previous creative teams, but the book's remit never really came together.

8. Ciradan

Ciradan Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2013
    And It's out ladies and gents.

Toughts and opinions?

Any ester eggs or refereneces to his previous work?

9. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Here's what he said in the blog post on StarWars.com:
    Yeah, this guy is one of us, all right [:D]

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  11. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Brian Wood, could you introduce Nas Ghent into your new SW series?
    It would be highly appreciated...

12. P2 reject

P2 reject Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2013