main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit OT novelizations from Barnes & Noble?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Riven_JTAC, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I apologize if there is already a thread on this. I couldn't find one. There are some topics that go WAAAAAYYY back, but they don't talk about this specific edition...

Anyway, I was in the Penn State school bookstore (which is run by Barnes & Noble) today and found this: Star Wars Original Trilogy (leatherbound). A sticker on the shrinkwrap says that it is a B&N exclusive.

It was only $25 and I get an alumni discount, so I bought it without any real research. My questions are...

Are these the original trilogy novelizations? The book is shrinkwrapped, so I can't tell off-hand. The website seems to say that they are, but I want to make sure.

One of the reviews on the B&N website says that there is a CD in there, but I can't tell (again, shrinkwrapped) and I cannot see where a CD would sit. The book is closed pretty tightly in the wrap and there's no bulge like you'd see in some books were a CD is resting. The cover is relatively thin, so I can't see the CD being nested inside the cover.

That all said, the cover looks really, really well done. I haven't broken the shrinkwrap yet because, well... I wanted to see what people here said. Maybe this edition blows and it isn't work the money. *shrug*

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    From the list of the authors -- yes, those are the OT novelizations.

3. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    That's what I figured, but I wanted to make sure that these weren't just scripts or something like that.

Does anyone have this and can speak to its quality? The B&N product description mentions illustrations but a review says that there aren't any.

4. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't worry about breaking the seal. While I don't have that copy. I do plan to get it at some point. It isn't rare but it is a good read. Crack it open. Just don't expect a lot of stuff included in the book that wasn't in the movies. You can buy the leatherbound star wars at any B&N. That being said... PENN STATE!!! Awesome school. Well... Sandusky Aside, Awesome School. I am a Pennsylvanian so yeah....

5. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Weird coincidences, I too am a PSU person. I don't have any experience with the book you speak of, though.

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Apparently Pennsylvania breeds alot of Star Wars fans. Probably the long winters indoors allow for association to Hoth and time to kill reading books that are brain candy...

Darth_Foo likes this.
  7. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Okay. I'd read there were minor differences, but not like Revenge compared to its novelization. It's still some more Star Wars stuff to read and in a nice-looking form

Hah! Could very well be the reason. It's brutal out there right now. I love the cold and even I'm miserable when I'm outside the last few weeks.

Last winter, it wasn't so bad in State College. This one is shaping up to be much worse...

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    The ANH novelization isn't bad but it's more interesting from a historical perspective than anything. The ESB novelization is pretty dull and forgettable, it's basically a direct transcription of the screenplay, although that does include a few deleted scenes. I really, really love James Kahn's ROTJ, though. It's nothing like Stover's ROTS, but of all five other novelizations, I think it comes the closest. Kahn doesn't quite make the story his own like Stover does, and there are a few questionable parts, like how all of Chewie's and Artoo's lines are spelled out phonetically, but all the Death Star scenes are written really beautifully and I appreciate how seriously Kahn treats the story despite the movie's disappointingly silly and light-hearted tone. Highly recommended.

DarthBoba, fistofan1 and Paul_Klein like this.
  9. Abalore

Abalore Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 19, 2001
    You perfectly summed up my feelings about the OT novelizations.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Pennsylvanian here, too. I'm in the Gettysburg area. Though, I did attend Penn State Mont Alto for a time.

As for the book... it's been a while since I've set foot in a B&N, but my brother has a Lovecraft collection that is bound similarly. I can attest to the quality of the book, and I would assume that the SW book meets that standard. The binding holds up pretty well, though be warned... the page edges have a major paper cut potential, so be careful when turning them. I actually wore gloves while reading the Lovecraft edition—I didn't want to accidentally bleed on my brother's book.

11. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow. Thanks for the advice.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah Star Wars OT was added to the B&N Classics series. You can get just about any classic like it. Alice and Wonderland...

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I can attest to that! Hoth-like winters and Tatooine-like summers... gotta love PA. :p

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    As a person who has spent summers in both PA FL WA and GA. PA is mild... in comparison... Got to love Washington State, it really is like Endor out there...

15. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    True, but there's no topping PA when it comes to humidity [face_sick]

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  16. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Charleston, West Virginia in July.

17. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Or Washington, D.C. in July and August.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Baltimore gets pretty insufferable during the summer, too. The humidity in PA is rather nasty, and during the Civil War, it created plenty of problems, but there are places with higher humidity. In PA, the humidity tends to be worse in valley locations, as when I'm up in the mountains, it's not too bad. The closer you go to the Susquehanna, closer to the Mason-Dixon Line, the worse the humidity seems to get. Southern York County is simply awful in the summer.

Riven_JTAC likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Last winter was totally wimpy... not really Hothlike at all.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed. I was disappointed. Our only decent Hoth snowfall was on Halloween. This winter, though, shows promise. At least it does where I live, as there's still some snow on the ground.

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Want to retitle thread, EU fans of PA

TrakNar and Riven_JTAC like this.
  22. Riven_JTAC

Jun 28, 2011
    Except I'm kinda still hoping that someone else has this and comments. ;)

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Y'all want long winters? try living in New England. [face_talk_hand]

I don't have this, but I've seen it in the store. It looks like a classic book, and is indeed leather-bound. I still think it's hilarious that they decided to make one for these books, when the rest of the collection includes literature classics. I'm sorry, but Donald Glut and James Kahn are not in the same tier as Charles Dickens and HP Lovecraft, or even Douglas Adams.

24. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It's that kind of attitude that ensures that we will never get a leatherbound edition of that timeless classic, Planet of Twilight.

Blithe likes this.
  25. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Looks like I need to find a B&N... that's a very nice edition. Also, it's partial synthetic... probably fully synthetic... leather. That's a must have for me though.