main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Darth Plagueis Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rogue_Follower, Jan 3, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Bendu-looking symbol doesn't show up until the rise of the empire era.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    No... TOR made news when it was revealed that the Sith were using the Republic's symbol. And we now know that symbol comes from the Je'Daii on Tython, from the Tho Yor.

Besides, how can a starship engineer change the symbol for the entire galactic government?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Someone needs to straighten us two out.

4. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    It was actually this book that led me to eventually joining this forum. After reading the two Plagueis threads.

This is definitely among my top 5 EU novels, possibly even number one. The audiobook is also pretty good; Daniel Davis was a great narrator and he added a sense of foreboding and menace to the novel.

There really needs to be some form of followup, namely in the form of a parallel to The Tenebrous Way. Just what was Plagueis thinking while he was being killed by Sidious?

Also something I always wondered. What would Plagueis have thought of the Yuuzhan Vong? Him being so obsessed with MidiChlos, how would he perceive the seemingly Force-voided Vong?

5. Bad Bad Leroy Brown

Bad Bad Leroy Brown Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2013
    Do we know when did Sidious found out about the Vong?

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not strictly- but Doriana tells Thrawn that Sidious knows about "Far Outsiders" not long after the events of Rogue Planet, in Outbound Flight.

Based on the assumption that Vergere was pursued to Zonama Sekot by agents of Palpatine's, it is possible that one of his agents arrived shortly after the attack by the Far Outsiders, was told by the Sekotians that Vergere went with them, and returned to report it to Palpatine- all this shortly before Rogue Planet starts in 29 ABY.

Since Doriana states that, as far as he knows, none of Sidious's agents actually saw the Far Outsiders.

7. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Interesting, didn't know that Sidious's knowledge of the Vong was through a word of mouth for Doriana. Makes me more curious on how the two might have perceived them. Or if they were in the same line of thinking of say, Thrawn. Would the Damask-Palpatine chancellorship have led to a better defense against the Vong?

Going back to the audiobook a bit, even though it was well narrated, at times I felt the pronunciation of certain things was...weird, to say the least.

Master "Seefo Dieas?" "Malastar"? Master "Sabaioth"?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    :rolleyes: Guess watching AOTC would have been too painful...

9. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    I gave DP to two family members as Christmas presents. Twas a holly jolly holiday indeed.

10. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    I also should mention that Plagueis is the first novel that I purchased as a hardbound, shortly after it was released. Waiting for the paperback would've been torture.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Waiting for the hardback was torture enough.

12. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Arawn_Fenn, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the book.

13. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    does darth plagueis on paperback feature any short stories at the end of the book? Or is it just Crucible or other SW book previews?

14. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    I checked it out. Unfortunately, no short story. Only Shadow Games and TOR: Annihilation previews.

Would've been perfect time to insert The Tenebrous Way.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  15. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Here's something I thought of yesterday:

Am I right in thinking that Darth Plagueis is the the only Star Wars story set before RotS to acknowledge that (OMG spolierz!) Palpatine and Sidious are one and the same? Even TCW, while strongly hinting at it, doesn't make that connection.

I think that makes it unique in the entire EU.

16. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Didn't Labyrinth of Evil acknowledge it when Palpatine did a mind trick on Grievous?

I haven't read it in a while but I remember that, there may have been other times in it.

17. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm actually reading Labyrinth of Evil for the first time now, so if I come a cross that bit I can say.

Is it an explicit mind trick though, or is it just heavily implied? Plenty of stories have very heavy hints, but none go so far as to outright state that they're the same person, at least as far as I'm aware.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Very heavy hinting- Palpatine's voice becomes "sinister" and Grievous starts repeating.

"You can display me, but I won't speak"
    "I can display you, and you won't speak"
    "You will do all the talking"
    "I will do all the talking"

Vialco likes this.
  19. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    So I got this for Christmas as a present and have been pleasantly enjoying it until I came across several pages just after part two that look as though they've been clawed by some animal. Sadly whole chunks of the pages are missing so I've had to put it aside until I can get another copy. Not really sure how it happened since I don't have any pets and neither do the people who brought it for me. Anyway my impression so far has been pretty good but one thing that has really stood out for me is Palpatine's lack of a first name. It doesn't really seem to fit with the narrative, epically the way Plagueis shrugs it off despite pages later mentioning how hard it's been to find any information on the guy.

I'm sure if it had of included a first name for him there would have been plenty of people who weren't happy with it but it just stands out a little for me. Beyond that I've been really enjoying it so far though.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a theory that when his mother yelled "Cosinga!" during the massacre, she was referring to him, rather than his father.

Vialco and Danzo like this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, I'm almost positive that's intentional on Luceno's part. It's the kind of crafty yet ambiguous stunt he'd pull.:p

And of course, there's that whole "Cos Palpatine" rumor that was floating around the internet for well over a decade before the book was ever published. Palpatine's real name will probably remain as obscure as Yoda's species, but Luceno was definitely doing some eyewinking there.

Danzo likes this.
  22. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Ah I hadn't heard that, I'm totally gonna read the rest of the novel calling him Cosinga in my head :p

23. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I thought Palpatine first name was Frank?:p

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  24. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I was hoping for that to be in actually!

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Other than the dropped hints in Cloak of Deception and Labyrinth of Evil, yeah, Darth Plagueis is the only one to explicitely make the connection. (lol, all Luceno books)

However, if we're counting TCW books by the Karens, then I believe at least one of them makes an explicit connection, from Palpy's POV. I don't know, I haven't read them.