main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC It is funny how

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 5, 2013.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    in the years since Star Wars came out, there has been other sci fi shows and genres. Yet no one I mean no one ever acknowledged female fans. Sure they acknowledged them in a sexual way when they are swooning over an actor. But never in a lets get their money kinda way. And now after two years Her Universe has succeeded and now just turned sales of a million dollars. It was one of the last areas where men just refused to listen to female fans and provide stuff for them. Now they all look like fools for not providing it. Ashley Eckstein saw a need, delivered a product, and made a ton of money doing it. Why couldn't a guy have done that or a Lucas himself?
    http://www.heruniverse.com/

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Such is life.

4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
  5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
  6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    They haven't gone after the pensioner market either. Fools.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Funny? No. I also don't see the big deal in Ashley Eckstein being the first to determine that there might be a market for rebel insignia earrings or pink T-shirts with Han's face on them.

I personally haven't bought any of her stuff, it's out of my price range for the most part, but if she's making money off of it, more power to it.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you want her as your college professor?

CT-867-5309 and jp-30 like this.
  9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yes, thank you Ms. Eckstein for making money off of ugly pink and over feminized star wars products. Because really, why would females just want the same tshirts as guys only in female sizing? That's just an absurd thought.

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    What about Black Milk Clothing's stuff?

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not going to claim to understand clothing, but I've not seen many HerUniverse shirts that are pink, and I've been told by friends the biggest thing is that it means they can get shirts that are better fitted to the female body. So you bring up the sizing thing, but isn't that a huge part of it? I guess I'm not seeing the whole overfeminized part of this. I mean, it'd make more sense if the people making the rest of the tshirts just added some more styles of shirt, but in lieu of them doing that (not that they shouldn't, just that they didn't), then I'm confused as to what the problem is with someone else making shirts that do have those styles/sizings.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I just meant that they're overfeminized in design for the most part, a lot screaming "look I'm a nerdy chick". Not that they're all literally pink.

13. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That's the part I'm saying I'm not seeing, though, I guess. A lot of them I don't see the 'overfeminized' part in the design. There are some, yes, that are directly female-oriented, but a lot of them seem fairly gender-neutral if you remove the style of shirt that it is.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Well in the end, boobs.

15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think it's entirely too gullible to believe the blurbs that say Eckstein came up with this.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Beez, the creepy white knight.

Point Given likes this.
  18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "A Lucas himself" is worth several billion dollars. I do not understand the topic of this thread...

Amazing.

19. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You know, I think I know why she did or how she did. It comes down to those involved in sci fi and its popularity. Let's face it, how many characters on sitcoms wore sci fi shirts. Mostly it was ones with bands or plain ones. You have the acceptance of sci fi merchandise in the mainstream and you have the growing popularity of san diego comic con. You have hot topic with their shirts but hot topic wasn't exactly trendy. Now its trendy as is comic book merchandise. Even though star wars isn't comic book material its origins and fans are similar. You had a few women making stuff but you needed that one person that was an organizer and go getter. She put it together and made her universe. I am sure there was women that complained and wanted this. I am sure there was women that wanted to make the idea themselves but it always comes down to the person who can pull it together and stick with the idea. You know I bet after seeing Ashley's success, even George asked himself. Why didn't I think of that. I could have had this going ten years ago. Instead George saw what the rest of the world saw. Only Ashley saw differently. That is exactly how these boards started out as well. Someone seeing something no one else could see.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This applies, frankly, to just about everything in the universe.

RC-1991 likes this.
  21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    She didn't even have the decency to marry a good baseball player.

22. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Sir, have you been drinking tonight?

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Comfy sack.

24. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    beezel-wave feminism