main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Return of the empire

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by jimslendorn, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jimslendorn

jimslendorn Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2013
    Do you think that the imperials still be in control of the galaxy in episode VII

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Nope. I think they are a distant memory. Maybe stormtrooper designs get incorporated into military units of the republic or something. But the imperials are pretty much over. Without an emperor they would probably, inevitably, revert back to the republic that preceded it.

Which begs the question on who exactly are your enemies? Which is an interesting issue. IMO, you have to raise the stakes in order for this sequel trilogy to have any point to it. That is, the very existence of the galaxy has to be in jeopardy.

So the most logical enemy archetype would be some sort of ancient evil. Perhaps lovecraftian in nature?

I think Jack Kirby's New Gods would be a good place to grab influences.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't you think that that is too insanely optimistic? The Empire will revert to the Republic? The Empire will still be there. A lot smaller but still a threat. If the Empire completely collapses which I doubt, there will still be die-hards out there that believe in the Empire.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

5. jimslendorn

Jan 5, 2013
    there has to be other imperialist out there who see this as advantage to take control of the empire there still has to be very large even with the destruction of the death star.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Of course the Empire won't be the main threat but they will still be there. If a Charismatic leader takes charge the Empire will survive. Even if the Empire splinters into several Warlord kingdoms the Rebels won't focus all of there efforts on wiping out everyone. If they get a treaty with a good Admiral or someone like that I can see them leaving the Imperial Remnant alone. The Rebels aren't the Sith who would wipe out everyone. If the Rebels can get the Empire to sign a treaty they will take it

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    The Empire was a sham. The Republic was duped by Palpatine. Even by the time of AHN, there were systems and a rebellion who were against it. Of course, you had a select few (Bail Organa) who knew the truth directly, but it started becoming very clear to the general public, that the Empire and the Emperor were bad.

Under the Emperors rule, the active players in government were forced to go along with him. He was a dictator. Sure, liberty died with thunderous applause at the time, but I'm sure it didnt take long for those folks cheering to have second thoughts about what went down. By ANH when Tarkin informs his goons that the Emperor has dissolved the Senate, and that FEAR WOULD KEEP THEM IN LINE, kinda says to me that by the time Luke and the gang triumph in ROTJ, the Senators and such who first made up the Republic, then fell for Palpy's duping, would once again come together as the new Republic and once again have a voice in the way things are run in the galaxy.

Depending on when exactly Ep VII takes place, there could be some remnants still putting up a fight, but for the most part, I'd say no. No Empire.

8. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I sense something. A presence of a thread I havent felt in a long time....

-C

9. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I'm thinking that there could be remnants of the Empire scattered across the Galaxy. Some Imperial Governors still control their own local system like individual warlords. Think...like Cuba, or something. Perhaps the Republic has been chasing down these pockets...until suddenly a new threat emerges, like like new huge army. They invade one of these Warlord systems, and Luke, with one or two Jedi goes to help. Yup, he helps the Imperials. Luke doesn't act with the Republic at this point, he's on his own mission. This forces some of them back into the fold, whereby they unite with the Republic to stop the new threat.

10. jimslendorn

Jan 5, 2013
    idk bout you guys but if i have to watch this republic debate nonsense I am going to lose my mind

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    In a Galaxy of a million planets (is it that?) there has to be a good amount of planets that prospered under the Empire, so they won't come quietly.

12. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    There'll probably be an Empire in some capacity
    Whether under treaty with the Rebel Alliance/New Republic/Galactic Alliance or whatever, or instead maybe a handful of warlords with fleets ranging in size depending on the timeline

13. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Thats stuff that could be interesting for extended material like TV shows, comics, books etc. But for film parlance its kinda meaningless minutia.

I mean you can start episode 7 by saying that "The Empire is no more" in the opening crawl.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I meant that if enough planets prospered under the Empire and were willing to fight for it the Empire would survive until the ST.

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, but thats a faction not really an oppressive totalitarian regime. Empire with no teeth is no empire. Not a compelling villain.
    I understand that you want to see what exactly happened to the empire. But I don't think it will be addressed that significantly other than the crawl or some exposition dialogue. I'm sure that is material they can mine in other medium.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Return of the empire

A title that could not possibly pander to OT enthusiasts more. I dislike your proposed film title. Return of the Empire's New Hope is much more in line with Disney's marketing strategy...

18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The SE ending of ROTJ makes it pretty clear that the Empire can't survive, not with the entire galaxy out on the streets, celebrating. The Empire would need to wage war on the civilian population which would swell the ranks of the Alliance immeasurably. Not to mention that with the Emperor and his presumed heir both dead, you'd have different factions all battling for control, basically causing a civil war. That's basically how the old Sith were defeated. You had Jedi driving them back, oppressed worlds rising up and constant in-fighting within the Sith ranks, all of which led to their downfall and the rise of a peaceful Republic.

In order to avoid the same fate this time around, I think the Empire would seek to work out a deal. Since the Empire was an "evolution" of the Republic, it would make sense that the Imperials might suggest transitioning the Empire back into the Republic. A truce would be called, the Imperials and Rebels would work out a deal which would see the Senate recalled and the Imperial fleet would ultimately fall under their control and eventually be dismantled. Some Imperials who weren't involved in war crimes might even retain their positions.

You wouldn't have a "new" Republic so much as a "restored" Republic. There would be some resistance from extreme elements within the Imperial ranks but even if it took 10 years for the transition to be complete, by the time we reach Episode VII, the Empire would be little more than a memory.

I think it's very possible that the enemy in the sequel trilogy will be an extragalactic invasion force. The prequels told of how democracies crumble from within and the originals showed that the same is true of dictatorships. The two wars in the Star Wars saga were civil wars. I think the sequels could explore the concept of war against an outside force. An enemy from beyond the Outer Rim that sees a fragile Republic and doesn't just want to conquer it, but destroy it. If any elements from EU are used, it could very well be a version of the Yuuzhan Vong or an enemy with a similar motivation.

Lord TW likes this.
  19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    This is my general thinking as well. You don't need to boggle down though film narratives to address the empire. You can do that in the opening crawl.

I don't think the Vong will be used but I absolutely believe the enemy has to be something that puts the entire galaxy in peril. As I said earlier-something lovecraftian would be the way to go imo.

"Eater of worlds" sort of approach perhaps even tied to the force?

20. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    This is my general thinking as well. You don't need to boggle down though film narratives to address the empire. You can do that in the opening crawl.

I don't think the Vong will be used but I absolutely believe the enemy has to be something that puts the entire galaxy in peril. As I said earlier-something lovecraftian would be the way to go imo.

"Eater of worlds" sort of approach perhaps even tied to the force?[/quote]

What was that episode of Clone Wars where Anakin and Obi-Wan meet the personifications of the Force and Anakin glimpses his future? You know the one I mean. They could do something with that concept. Would having Force users who are basically gods be going too far? Possibly. The last thing I want to see is another super-jedi like Starkiller.

As far as addressing the Empire goes, start the crawl with "It is a time of peace in the restored Republic..." or something like that. No need to even use the word "empire." It's gone. It's done. It doesn't exist anymore.

21. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I think we already have a thread concerning the presence of the Empire in Episode 7.

22. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    'Empire still strong after ROTJ' is the thread I was talking about

23. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    Okay. Im going to have to bring this thread into EU for a second to clear it all up. The Empire was shattered by the events of ROTJ. Imagine Peanut Butter and bread. The Big Glob of PB is the empire. Now the Battle of Endor happens. The Galactic Peanut Butter Empire:p is spread allover the bread. The bread is the galaxy. So the Empire is not in control of the galaxy, but that doesn't mean they don't exist anymore.

24. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    VII will presumably be set 30+ years after a massive attack which removed the emperor and, per the ROTJ SE's shot of a liberated Courscant, took their capitol. While they could have survived for a little bit, they would have faded in to oblivion by VII.

Plus, using the Imps again would give a air of stagnancy to VII, which is the last thing it needs.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think the worst thing the ST could do is try and out do Palpatine and Vader. I think the writers main priority should be continuing the story and building on the events of the PT and OT instead of trying to create some ultimate villains who put the very existence of the galaxy at risk. That's not really a continuation of the story presented in the PT and OT but more the start of a new storyline. This would be okay if their goal was to start a new saga but all indications point to this being a continuation.

I think you build on the two trilogies by showing how the characters rebuild the galaxy after the devastation wrought by Palpatine and Vader. If the PT is about the fall of Anakin and the Republic and the OT is about the redemption of Anakin and the defeat of the Empire then the ST should be about atoning for Anakin's mistakes and the restoration of the Republic. I see the galaxy at the start of the ST as being very fractured (with many powers competing for dominance) and it could follow the Republic's struggle to unite the galaxy. I could see the Republic being very militarized at the start of the ST and the Jedi Order just beginning to grow in numbers. Then by the end of the ST the galaxy will be once more united and entering a new Golden Age (so how TPM signifies the end of the Golden Age of the Old Republic, Episode IX could signify the beginning of a new one.) Episode IX could see the Republic decommissioning the military as the Jedi are once more the guardians of peace and justice (again as the PT shows the Old Republic slowly becoming more militarized, the ST could show the end of that era.) Anyway that's my opinion on how the ST could be a continuation instead of an epilogue or start of a new story.