main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation we need more women main characters.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't buy for a moment what this blogger is tweeting, but I know that if it is true, I sure hope they don't cast Angelina Jolie.

JoeyArnold likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The question then becomes... who is her likelihood in complete defiance of?

3. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012

Boys like seeing hot female stars. Girls like seeing hot female stars. Guys want to date them. Girls want to grow up to be like them. When you have female protagonists, Both the female and male demographics can be reached better than showing hot male stars, except for Batman, and other famous male characters, star, which works in the reverse, that girls want to date and guys want to grow up to be like. So, you can reach both demographics through female or male leads, but since everybody is addicted to sex, then female stars may get more people to go to the big screens, especially since the last six Star Wars were already focused on two male leads, a father and a son, and it was still mostly focused on the father, even while diving a bit into the life of the son , Luke.

Do we want to see a female Tombs Raider star for the next films?

What should the lead females look like and act like in the next films? Should they or she be the focus?

Would you rather Luke's son or daughter or Leia's son or daughter kill Luke?

Would rather see Luke kill Leia or Leia kill Luke?

Do we want to see any of the good guys turn bad?

Is better to have bad guys kill Luke, Leia, Han Solo, etc?

The good guy Anakin helped the bad guy, Sidious, kill Mace Windu (unless if Windu survived).

Do we want to see the good guys assist in more murders, like we saw in the Anakin turned bad story?

Do we want to see a female lead turn bad like Anakin with boobs?

The_Book_of_Sith likes this.
  4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Not to offend, but I'm kinda confused on what you are trying to say. How does sex appeal pertain to 7-10 year old boys exactly? The ones who overwhelmingly consume the extended merchandise?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Don't think too hard on it. You'll sleep easier.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

LOL.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  8. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    WOOOOOW....

That jedi fall luke does in ESB is nothing compared to reality
    Juliane Diller (born 1954 in Lima as Juliane Margaret Koepcke) is best known for being the sole survivor of 93 passengers and crew in the December 24, 1971, crash of LANSA Flight 508 (a LANSA Lockheed Electra OB-R-941 commercial airliner) in the Peruvian rainforest. After her airliner blew up in midair, she survived after falling about 10,000 feet still strapped to her airliner seat, before the seat crashed through the rainforest canopy and came to rest on the forest floor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliane_Koepcke

Wow, she is now one of my most favorite survival stories.

Just saying , more woman characters yes. Some women are super human ... or very very strong in the force.

9. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Jaina Solo seems possible, if they don't retcon half of the post ROTJ-EU.
    Otherwise, they could just be introducing a new female Skywalker protagonist.

10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    It's Ashoka...

11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Oh, outstanding. I did not know this. Thank you Echo-07.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Anakin was the main protagonist for the PT and Luke for the OT so I'm thinking the pattern will continue and we'll get a male Skywalker as the main protagonist for the ST.

13. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    I hope its not going to center around a group of love-sick teenagers ala Twilight!

Echo-07 and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  14. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Who is Nomi Skywalker? o_O

15. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    There is nothing saying bits and pieces of the EU can't be used, for example they could use a Jaina Skywalker and have whatever age they wanted.
    They are not bound or limited to the EU, everybody needs to remember that

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The possibly new character for the ST. Still speculation though

17. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, some of us fans being hardcore, have speculated that [based on some of the things GL has said over the years] that there very well could be a female Skywalker lead. Years ago, when George was constantly reworking SW he came up with a character named "Nomi Starkiller" who originally was Luke's sister. Of course things have morphed over the years but wse can still speculate the George likes to recycle old ideas and came up with Nomi Skywalker as the potential daughter of Luke. Of course that could be completely wrong as well.

"Nomi" has become the place holder name of Luke's daughter.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    The original 7,8,9 was in essence Luke learning to be a Jedi and finding his sister. The dynamic was supposed to be brother and sister. That is why I was throwing out the whole concept of cousins because:

a)We haven't seen it. Its something new.

b)It can easily replace the brother/sister dynamic.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    People talk about male and female leads and gearing towards certain audiences but the Clone Wars is a popular TV show and the main charachters are pretty much Ahsoka as the female lead with Anakin in support, rather than the other way around.

I even wonder if that might be replicated a bit in the sequels, with the Solo/Skywalker female lead and ghost Anakin in the Obi-wan role.

20. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    I wouldn't mind a female protagonist...as long as she's written well. I sincerely hope that a passive heroine is considered...god knows that movies in particular need more of those. Padmè was good step in the right direction, in my opinion the best example in years. Her story however is weak, dismissed and incomplete in the eyes of many,due to the cutting of the scenes that explore her character in part, along with complaints resulted in a way to mess her character became in TCW along with the partial substitution with Satine. If its decided that that she should be"kick-ass" than I hope she's given purpose as well a story on her own right rather than suffer the same fallacies and problems that Leia, Ashoka and (from a little research) to a large extent EU females like Mara.

It may be foolish of me to hope that the mold be broken once more within SW in regards to women once more to provide a wholesome and balanced female lead, but with great care it can be done.

21. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm all for more women leads, as long as the story is not compromised to accommodate them. in other words, don't force it. pun fully intended. :)

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Its not really true though, the clone wars TV series has multiple protagonists. Ashoka, at times, is the main character and other times she is a support character. It depends on the narrative of the episode. Some episodes clone characters are the main characters. Stuff like that can really only be pulled off on TV.

I don't think you can replicate that type of dynamic for films.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

24. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    No, your missing my point. I mean doing a clone wars type of narrative with characters perspective in constant flux. Its too many narratives.

I'm not talking about female characters in general.

The point is Ashoka is not really carrying the narrative for an entire series. The narratives are constantly changing so its not a good example.

25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Right I get you now.