main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series 100th The Clone Wars Episode! - 5.12 - Missing In Action - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    True, but I have no idea why they made him out to be a cackling, unlikable Wicked Stepmother. If they intended to show he's just a sympathetic, but really flawed character, they did a poor job of doing so. He could point out the Republic makes him fight and die and by staying he wouldn't have to experience Saresh again.

Instead, we got 2deep4u desert wandering along with frog cartoons eating garbage.

2. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Now this episode I really liked and definitely enjoyed. The adventure of Gascon and the droid squad take some steps up the greatness scale with this one; I quite liked the barren design of the town and how they even added bugs here and there (it's not very often they have those), much to show it's more or less a rather sunky town. Also, the cameo of the vintage walrus man was fun (which also makes me hope we'll see more Aqualish on the show) and the bit with an Aleena mugging a bigger alien was pretty funny (also, according to the scene where Gascon is led to the backside of the diner by WAC who suggests he eats from the food that has been thrown into the garbage, it seems like tomatoes do exist in the Star Wars universe since there were some slices among the garbage).

Gregor was handled really well and he was really likeable (like Cut) and he didn't disappoint in the assault at the end; his story played out well for one episode and I was a bit worried at one point that they wouldn't touch upon how he got amnesia, but they explained it well in an short but effective way. I liked how he was sort of kept as a slave by the Sullustan chef Borkus who deliberately kept his past hidden from him, including his clone commando armor (it was interesting to see a little more villainous Sullustan, seeing as they are usually good guys); one can argue he was presented as a pretty classic bad guy with his demeanor and sinister laughing, but I actually kind of liked that (and his comments about not serving droids and not Gascon's kind at his diner was a nice reference to Ep.IV) . I also liked how Gregor was reintroduced to the Republic and the clone army by R2 showing him an recording of Rex before Gascon came inside to talk to him about it.

The assault at the end with Gregor shooting up droids as Gascon and the droid team got to the shuttle was great and had some excellent music, especially at the last part when Gregor was pretty much surrounded by droids and then resorted to blowing up more and more explosive canisters, engulfing the whole landing pad in one big explosion; it might have seemed like he died but I'm not so sure (the way his 'death' was presented, it's not for certain that he died so if he would pop up again later, I wouldn't be so surprised). Still, if this was really it for him, it's sad to see him go but I don't hate the decision to kill him off in his first episode; his one appearance would make this episode a bit more special. Overall, the episode was definitely a solid one and had a good story, some funny moments and a solid action sequence at the end. I was not disappointed by this one and definitely look forward to the fourth and last part of the arc.

rumblewagon and Seerow like this.
  3. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    The story of Gregor really helped liven up this story arc, which has felt more of an endurance test than the journey across the barren wasteland. I'm hoping that we see more of the clone commandos in future episodes.

This story arc doesn't seem to have been planned that carefully - there has been no prior indication of a separatist presence or the Republic cruiser in orbit. As the Force net review said, it all feels a bit contrived to create peril for the end of the episode.

Including vermin and garbage in the town scenes helped the setting become more realistic, although the scene where Frog General tried to eat the garbage was pretty disgusting.

Loved the vintage walrus man cameo. Perhaps we can look forward to seeing other Kenner figures in the background in the future? My vote is for an all-green Greedo.

Finally, considering this was the 100th episode, I was hoping that the season could have been structured to have a more epic, action/adventure story at this point in the season. For me, this episode felt more like a filler, rather than a story worthy of the 100th episode.

4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    this episode wasn't so bad. i think gregor is still alive. though i didn't like the score that was playing when they were showing him making his "Last Stand."

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I actually thought Gregor would go back to Coruscant and join Delta Squad with the other Clone Commandos (Boss, Fixer, Scorch and Sev, who all appeared in 'Witches of the Mist'). That's something I'd really like to see in future episodes.

6. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    This episode is definitely better than the last one, but not overwhelming. As for Gregor, I think it would have been better to introduce him in 'The Void' and, don't know, let him and the D-Squad play hide and seek with the separatists in this episode? It's just that his last stand would be even more epic, if we had known him for more than just 15 minutes.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [​IMG]
    "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Diner Side! You will pay the price for your lack of dishwashing!"
    Pros:
    + An interesting continuation on the theme of "slaves": Gregor does not want to be a "slave" to Borkus, but is fine with being a "slave" to the Republic.
    + homage to A New Hope with diner scene, but interesting that speciesism is added with Gascon.
    + great action sequence with Gregor at the end.
    + visuals and graphics are stunning.
    + like how Gascon was reduced to eating garbage and WAC-47 did not understand why that was revolting to Gascon.
    Cons:
    - plot convenience of Separatists being present on Abafar.
    - chortling diner owner that they will all be begging him for a job.
    - plot convenience of Borkus saving Gregor's armor rather than selling it as would be expected of such an underhanded individual.

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah -- and why would he bring it out to show them later? That completely undermines his argument! :oops:

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Okay, this episode was pretty good. Had a lot of great elements, and the ending was epic. Hey, if Maul can survive bisection and a 1000 km drop, then Gregor can survive a little explosion.

S5 is definitely much better music-wise than previous seasons. Kiner finally seems to be on the top of his game. And the writing was pretty good too. Lots of good dialogue. Even WAC was less annoying here.

I gotta hand it to DBB, he's so good at pouring nuance into the voices of individual clones. Tom Kane was Tom Kane- meh.

rumblewagon likes this.
  10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Ah yes, great job once again to DBB! Part of what made the garbage scene so funny was the nuances to his voice acting there. Gregor sounded like a softer and slower talking version of Fives.

Yeah, I agree they should have worked harder to get the armor back. I assumed the owner might be keeping it because if they caught him with it and harboring a clone he might be simply labeled a traitor. Either way taunting Gregor with it was a really stupid move. I still wish Gregor would have gotten the gun himself rather than looking kinda like a face planting ignoramus (this word made me laugh).

11. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Well, I think that it was never planned as being the 100th episode - considering they moved Revival up. Production numbers would be more accurate of the 100th episode, but I doubt the production team even considered what would be their 100th episode when they made it. And I'm sure that the writer: Brent Friedman, would have felt considerable amount of pressure on him had he known he was writing the 100th episode.

EDIT: Here's some great commentary from DBB and Filoni:
    http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep512/#!/media/commentary

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  12. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    So many great things in the Episode Guide:

1. Once again they acknowledge how awesome Republic Commando (the game) and Republic Commandos are, with Gregor described as "one-man army".
    2. Filoni pretty much admitted refusing to kill Gregor off, saying that "After Maul came back everything is fair game" and "I keep my promises" Yay!
    3. They acknowledge all the EU references in this episode: conduit worms, Malachor, Sarrish. Very nice.
    4. "Kowakian Monkey Island". "Admiral Snackbar". "Land O' Capes". All of that is canon. You hear that, Wookieepedia?

13. gizmodeus

gizmodeus Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2012
    borkus
    borkus
    borkus
    borkus

14. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I liked how Filoni made a point of adding that he played Republic Commando... to completion...

Like, "I don't want to be hearing anyone insulting my knowledge of Republic commandos, because I played the game, and I BEAT IT!"

Though as he lists off how the show has grown and the animation, character design and lighting have all improved, I can't help but then add, "but the story-telling took one for the team."

JackG, Mia Mesharad, Convor and 2 others like this.
  15. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Late to the action...

+Visuals and designs were BRILLIANT
    +Gregor's story is very well done, and I am 100% positive that Gregor has survived this
    +WAC was tolerable and his dialogue wasn't bad
    +Aleena with a knife, WTF?
    +First Sullustan in TCW?
    +Nice job with the speciesism
    +Harry Potter reference with "following the bugs"?...
    +Great music!
    +The commando vs. battle droids fight was executed well

-Gascon has refused to really grow on me much, his fluctuating attitudes towards the droids...; if he wins any "congrats" at the end of this arc...
    -Plot contrivance of the armor
    -Yes, every villain needs to cackle loudly, who gives a **** about subtlety?
    -Rushed

9/10 though, Gregor pulled it off for me despite the flaws above.

16. gizmodeus

gizmodeus Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2012
    him name borkus too

bonus borkus

Dark Lord Tarkas and CT-867-5309 like this.
  17. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Why is Gregor not in the next episode.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who says he isn't in next week's episode

Seerow likes this.
  19. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Filoni is 100% certain as well.
    I wonder how close he came to being named Porkus.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    They should have called him Porky

21. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    http://starwars.com/explore/the-clone-wars/ep512/#!/about

I was right... everything is linked.

Seerow likes this.
  22. The Verbal Machinegun

The Verbal Machinegun Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2013
    Anybody else hoping that Gregor will team up with Cut at some point?

23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Yes!

I thought that was cool.

24. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Brent Friedman, Brent Friedman.

Seerow likes this.
  25. gizmodeus

gizmodeus Jedi Padawan