main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Disney dare remake the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Now that Star Wars rights are owned by a mega corporation, the likelihood of a remake is still close to zero but not as close as it once was.

I'd give it 20 years, particularly if the post-sequel trilogy SW films start performing poorly at the boxoffice.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    They could, but they won't.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Nah I don't think that anyone will be rebooting the original Star Wars trilogy anytiime real soon, unless they want to pull a J.J. Abrams on us.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I doubt it very much, at least for a very long time.

5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    No need. The original trilogy is so ingrained into popular culture and the overall legacy of film that fans, critics and the general audience fail to see why they'd want to see something imitating that. Besides, the films have a very firm chronology unlike Batman where the history is easily erased and replaced.

kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Eh...nah. Disney has plenty of classics to reboot if they so desire and they haven't.

7. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    nope,

not until I have a walking stick and need a hearing aid and waiting for TFN to move for the fifth time, then it might,

wait..i'll still be posting here by then?

:eek:

8. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    The doors are locked from the outside.

So yes, you'll still be posting here. :p

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Double that number, I think. It probably will happen eventually. Like, 2050 Disney will probably still make movies since they'll be owned by Unicorp Megacorporation World Commerce Unity Zero Company or something (or maybe Disney will change it's name to that) because they will have to feed the corporate overlords to build mouse terminators or something so, yeah, Star Wars reboot. I think 20 years is a bit pessimistic but the franchise will probably dwindle off post-ST, be in a box for about 5 years, then REBOOT!

10. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I think it is inevitable. There was a time when I would have said that they were special and wouldn't be touched, but I think the whole Special Edition fiasco followed by the disappointment of the PT has stripped it of its untouchable status.

11. The Verbal Machinegun

The Verbal Machinegun Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2013
  12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    You know, when the OT's ratings on Rotten Tomato dropped by one half of one percent. :p

13. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Most films that get remade are IPs that are known in pop culture on a passing basis, but the actual content of the movies aren't remembered much. People know where "Wolverines!" comes from, but you average person who hasn't seen Red Dawn lately won't be able to tell you who the Wolverines are and what happens to them.

Star Wars is different damn near every memorable scene in the movies is remembered in pop culture. People know well who Luke, Yoda, Leia, and Han are and what they do. There's really no need for them to invest in a remake for a movie that everyone knows.

14. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The idea of Disney remaking the entire movie saga is repellent to me. I'm sorry, but I cannot help feeling this way.

What Special Edition fiasco? Because Greedo shot first? That's it?

15. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I stand behind my statement. The SE was a fiasco. Had he fixed what was wrong, (the feet of extras hiding behind set pieces waiting for their cues, Luke's green lightsaber, "carrie!", doubled up R5D4, etc.) I might be inclined to think differently. Unfortunately, this didn't happen. Instead, he added what he seems to refer to as humor and screwed up the pacing of the film. The only positive that really came of the SE was his introducing to the mainstream the concept that existing films could be fixed, clearing the way for all of the brilliant fan edits of the PT that found serious and enjoyable films within GL's version. And it isn't limited to just the PT. Thanks to the internet, and the dedication of a few genius volunteers, we now have the choice to see all six films the way they should be, instead of the way they were presented.

Because the concept that these films need fixed is just barely contained, (again, big thanks to GL for introducing the concept that the flaws of already released movies could be fixed,) I don't think it is out of the question at all for Disney to recognize the opportunity to sanction something like the Adwyn edits or to take on such a project themselves, if not do a total reboot. I give it 7 years max until we start hearing about someone undertaking a sanctioned fix of these films. 10 years on a reboot if no re-edits are sanctioned. I look forward to them.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I highly doubt it. If they do I probably won't see it. The OT is the OT to me. If they remake it, it won't compare to the OT from the 70's and 80's. Is there any remake that is as good as the original? The original Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for example. The original Honeymooner's stuff from the 50's is better than the movie that came out several years ago.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  17. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    I think they will do so at their peril.

Disney has inherited a very powerful fanbase, which is capable of getting things done like no other fanbase I have ever seen. If they do something that upsets the Star Wars fans, they'll know about it, and everyone else probably will too; fans won't be merciful.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  18. Lord_kimo1

Lord_kimo1 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2009
    Highly Unlikely
    What would be the point in remaking the films? The SW Saga is already written. Really the best thing would be to just produce new films. I agree that fans everywhere would up-rise to prevent such an act.

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There would be a popular uprising if they tried to "reboot" Star Wars which I would personally lead.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Don't forget Star Trek and its "AU" type film.

kainee and Sarge like this.
  21. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Not in a million years. I think if BOTH trilogies were to be remade, there would be lots of outrage!

kainee and Team Padme like this.
  22. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    They may be rich but they're not inherently stupid. So no.

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Your half right. The OT no. Its a legendary world famous trilogy and they would be mad to attempt it.
    The PT yes, they could reboot the Prequels so they actually connected with the OT and I think people would get behind it. Just imagine if we actually got the Beginning script for E1 instead of the mess that was TPM.

24. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I disagree, there are alot from the younger generation that loves the PT. But that's not the point, so i'm not going to start an argument.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    If they are smart they won't remake anything..

Legacy Jedi Endordude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.