main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT A question about an age-old debate...

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 30, 2012.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I know what you are thinking: "This is a "who shot first? Han or Greedo?" thread.

Not quite.

I never understood what exactly the changes were. What was the scene like in the very first edition of ANH, and how did it differ from the scene in the special edition releases?

I keep getting different answers all over the web...

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Here you go:

Note that what the original is being compared to in that video is the 1997 version, not the most recent (2011) version.

3. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Thank you very much. IMO Han probably moved to shoot Greedo, and Greedo flipped and didn't shoot straight. idk

4. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    There is what you see in the films currently when they both shot about the same time, I believe that the change was made to give Han more of a devils luck appearance. That he does what he has to do just in the nick of time( its a thing that was carried over to the indiana jones films too) but as to the real reason they changed it that is easy. You cant have a hero shoot first. I personally have a Tshirt saying Han shot first and thats what I am gonna stick too.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I also have that t-shirt.

I remember the scene well, Han smirks and just blasts Greedo through the table. He took Greedo's comment literally and shot him first.
    "Over my dead body," "That's the idea, Solo." Obvious threat on Han's life, yes? Even as a seven year old boy, I fully understood Han's reasoning for killing Greedo. Any gun-slinging smuggler would've done the same thing. So why did GL change it? I suppose because the younger generation of kids didn't grow up seeing Bonanza and Eastwood's spagetti westerns? ;)

Personally, if Greedo missed Han from a meter away, then he's either near-sighted or just plain stupid, and deserves to die anyway.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The added wide shot in between is what most fans seem to dread. The shot was unused initially, but has since been added in and edited to show Greedo's infamous gunshot. What makes it seem odd is that the scene clearly didn't intend to show Greedo firing, which caused Han's awkward neck movement.

7. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    The original was brilliant. At 9 years old, in 197: I thought it was brilliant.
    When I watch it now, the flow is gone, it doesn't work, it;s awkward - make little sense and looks terrible.

This - is what I saw - and recorded in 1978 or 79. I drew this before the Special Editions ever existed.
    http://starwarsage9.com/index.php/part-v/han-shot-first-12

From the mouths of babes indeed.
    John

[​IMG]

8. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    When a Rodian threatens me with a blaster I don't shoot him because I don't want to send the wrong message.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Greedo shot first! [face_devil]

10. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    Wolfman shot first.

11. Star Wars age 9

Star Wars age 9 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 29, 2012
    Greedo didn't even shoot!

12. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The EU makes Greedo an idiot who was sent over to get Han because they wanted greedo dead and knew Han would kill him. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A_Hunter's_Fate:_Greedo's_Tale

13. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I could honestly care less who shot first. The entire SW community has overblown the impact of a half-second of footage which, quite frankly, most people don't even notice! Han still kills Greedo either way.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    This!

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I thought the age-old debate was: Did Yoda ruin Star Wars with his Muppet-like antics?

"Mmmhmhmhmhmhmhmm!"
    /LM

16. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I shot first

DarthKreVass and DarthBoba like this.
  17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Given that it's not necessarily about the usual flame-war inducing nonsense, this isn't a bad topic. There's been five different versions of the scene:

- 1976 John Jympson 'Lost Cut' (rough assembly - cantina scene included on the 1998 Behind The Magic CD-ROM, now included in the Blu-Ray OT deleted scenes)
    - 1977 release
    - 1997 SE
    - 2004 DVD
    - 2011 Blu-Ray

The 'Lost Cut' version was just a rough way of tricking the shot, parts were re-shot anyway. Han basically shoots first.
    The 1977 version was the ambiguous version - blaster flash, Greedo falls to the table. Just who shot 'first' isn't important, more a case of both shooting, only one hit.
    1997 - Greedo fires, misses completely, Han shoots & kills him.
    2004 - Greedo fires, Han dodges & shoots, kills Greedo.
    2011 - Greedo fires first, but the shot has been shortened considerably & looks far more convincing.

18. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    See you for the 6th in a couple of years, when the Blu-ray 3D or whatever new support comes out. :D

Arghhh !!!, I forgot. George is no more in control...

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    In the next cut, Jack Sparrow shoots first.

"Pirates! We don't need that scum"
    /LM

20. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    watching ANH on tv and vhs as a child in the 80`s, one can only draw this conclusion, Han shot first. first impressions and all that.

21. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    One single blaster was fired, not two. Han didn't shoot first, he was the only one that fired. Greedo never got off a shot.

Star Wars age 9 likes this.
  22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Both partners should always be allowed to get off....

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You are much older than I thought.

Darth Ruian and Star Wars age 9 like this.