main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ITT...I'm Batman (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Import_Jedi, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the best is the rapping part and how it works with the looks on the faces of everyone in the stadium. "i'm coming after you bruce wayne. i'm stronger, smarter, clinically insane. i'm BANE!"

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    THIS ISN'T A CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    "They cut the fiber."
    "Strawberries are packed with fiber."

Order66Survivor likes this.
  5. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    bruce wayne and the batman are one and the same!

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "You suck, Bane".
    "Stop the music. Who said that?"

7. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Question 1,023: Why did Bruce Wayne wait eight years to see a physician about that limp? There's masochism, and then there's "Cheese-on-rice, I can't even get to the bathroom anymore!"

Oh, and...

Question 1, 024: Why was the leg brace not necessary for mobility once Bruce was hauled to the prison? Did the cartilage magically grow back, or did the prison chiropractor just punch his kneecap?

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Arawn, care to comment?

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Considering what he's been through the pain likely doesn't bother him as much. And he's all mopy so maybe he feels he deserves it or something.

It was likely not needed permanently. Only to help improve movement until Bruce got his strength back in it. Afterwards Bruce likely ignored the pain, which he was trained to do.

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
  11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So Bruce actually did have a leg injury? He wasn't faking it?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    lol

13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Bruce Wayne and Batman both show absolutely no emotion. Because Christian Bale seems to be incapable of acting any emotion. Not just in this, but in almost every other movie I have seen him in. Only exception was Reign of Fire.
    Joker was OK. I believe I've said that before. Problem was most of the story. Do you really believe no one on the ferry was willing to kill a bunch of criminals to save themselves? It seemed like because Ledger died, they used every single piece of film with him in it, which made the movie feel padded.
    Gordon was the only character that both looked and acted like Jim Gordon. Though it seems poor Barbara/Bat Girl will never be born...
    Catwoman had to carry the movie as best she could because no one and nothing else was.
    Look at scarecrow in the Bruce Timm cartoons. Any of the 3-5 different looks they gave the character. Any of those interpretations was more detailed and flavored than the Nolan version. Lesser known villains? Scarecrow and Raz? Really? Lesser known by Whom?
    Didn't recognize Liam as Raz? Really? It was pretty smegging obvious.
    Bane: yeah, already said.
    Bruce is special: he can regenerate knee cartilage. Or maybe he bought a transplant at some point when we weren't looking. Compared to the other things going on that I had problems with (back traction machine made out of a rope repairing a compound spinal fracture!), that was nothing.

Not justified? Sorry, but yes, there is plenty of room for criticism.
    The only thing I will say (once again), is that at least they were better than Captain America. Heck, compared to CA: these were cinematic masterpieces.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Um you know how I said it was obvious from scene one that Liam was Ra's? Yeah? You remember that bit? Read it? Yeah? Where I said that it was obvious? Where there was no deception there? No, obvious way you couldn't call it Ra's? Yeah? Where I flatly stated that, you know, I could tell Liam was Ra's from the moment you saw him? In that Chinese prison? Yeah?

No, your points are valid and I respect them Koohii, because you payed attention to what I was saying.

15. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Were you expecting Bane to also look and act like Jim Gordon?

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Unfortunately Ender, that's the same story where this happened:

[​IMG]

Gotta love inconsistent writer/artists being inconsistent.

17. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I think we can now say that Batman is fine with any gun large enough to mount on a vehicle, but hates any gun too small to. :p

Alpha-Red and Valyn like this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The part where he says, "Permit me a demonstration: This is your body without fiber" and then breaking his neck actually has me crying while laughing.

19. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Regular bowel movements....are a bitter memory!

20. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You'd think so eh? :p

Actually, I eyerolled hard everytime any of his movie vehicles exuded a set of gigantic guns or missile launchers. The Batman's disdain of guns should not exclude such armament. A gun is a gun, regardless of whether it is a handgun, SMG, or mounted turret. Thus, if the currently accepted version of the Batman hates guns, he would not mount frakking cannons on any of his vehicles that could only cause lethal damage. You'd think he would've told Lucius to install some sort of non-lethal armament in the Tumbler/Batpod combo or the godawful monstrosity known as the Bat. But I guess such conventions are thrown out the window on a summer popcorn movie that needs a Batman blowing **** up with any of his vehicles at least once. :rolleyes:

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    TAS's Batman also disdained guns, but IIRC his vehicles were also armed. And really, who would dare call TAS Batman a hypocrite?

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I once wrote an incredibly long review of Batman Vs. Predator II. I'd like to excerpt some pertinent passages:

*So, then assassins four and five triangulate on Huntress, but she ducks them and they end up killing each other.

*Batman and Huntress talk past each other: “Bad enough I have to save my own killers from that creature, Huntress . . . let alone from you.” “I didn’t kill them and you know it. I simply got out of the way – and they killed each other. No great loss in any case.” “Loss of life is always great. Always tragic. Always awesome.” “My point exactly – since those two were professional assassins. Loss of life was their stock in trade – their careers. Every one of the loathsome reptiles in that dossier makes a living taking lives.” “Which is why they must be stopped and brought to justice before that alien hunter slaughters them all.” “You’re consistent. I’ll give you that. I may never know what makes you tick . . . but at least you won’t blow up in my face.” “Don’t bet on it.”

*I love the idea of Batman trying to save the assassins sent to kill him from Predator. I wish this comic had actually gone there. Maybe had Batman and one of the assassins having to cooperate in order to take out Predator or something. That would have been awesome.

. . .

*So, anyway, Batman gets jumped by assassin number six, this big dude with devil horns and a killer motorcycle.

*Batman kills him by lassoing him around the neck and dragging him off his motorcycle and across the pavement.

*Allow me to quote from a previous passage in this book: “Bad enough I have to save my own killers from that creature, Huntress. Loss of life is always great. Always tragic. Always awesome. Which is why they must be stopped and brought to justice before that alien hunter slaughters them all.” “You’re consistent. I’ll give you that.”

*Yes, consistency. Or as Batman calls it, the hobgoblin of little minds.

23. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    "Loss of life is always great. Always tragic. Always awesome."

I can feel the consistency from these sentences alone.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I mainly recall the Batwing having missiles in Justice League, which is still the Timmsverse.

Invidious, I noted the more (IMHO anyway) iconic image of Batman with a bolt action rifle, crossing the tightrope between two buildings in the Harvey Dent portion of TKDR as an example of an armed-with-guns Batman in that book. But yes, he does use guns in that tale and... it's Elseworlds. So it will deviate from established continuity at times (though Elseworlds has produced some amazing stories, like of course "Kingdom Come").

But I would agree with your other post regarding arms on the Batpod/the Bat. I'd even go one further and ask why the people arguing in favour of Batman being armed resort to 70 year old imagery and the Timmsverse as proof without touching on the comics. I know someone here claimed to own a number of TPBs (almost like a best-of list was Googled... just saying) but they're also saying Batman <3s guns, just not small ones.

For the last time, people, Batman does not use guns. Across god knows how many issues of Batman, Detective Comics, Legends of the Dark Knight, etc etc, this was canon. If you haven't exposed yourself to this, you're missing out on some excellent storylines and some relevant history.

Rogue, glad you brought up Huntress. She had some strong tension with Batman early on over her willingness to use excessive, often lethal, force. In the Cataclysm story arc, leading up to No Man's Land, she remarks that Robin told her she's almost on the out with Batman - effectively, she's on her last chance. Though she comes good, it's more because she becomes more like Batman and less like her old self.

But yes, Batman should carry twin .45s.

25. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The original Batman did have a pistol. He also had pink (or was it purple) gloves as well. So I think he's fine with most guns.

Edit: IIRC he also was fine with killing criminals.