main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not going to name names, but there was a big argument in JCC sometime last year among the show's supporters and people who were shocked that anybody could like that show.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, friggin' everyone at my LCS.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You'd think comic shop people would hate the show the most!

Esg likes this.
  4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I've never watched BBT, but it doesn't look like something I'd enjoy. Of course, I hate sitcoms in general... The Office and How I Met Your Mother both make me want to gut something.

Married With Children is the one I'm aware of that usually escapes my wrath, and even that has its share of really, really lame jokes.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Sitcoms are my bread and butter, but they have to be witty, clever, or have a lot of heart for me to want to watch them. I generally use them as a de-stressing mechanism. My favorite comedies of all time would be Arrested Development, MASH, and Frasier. Currently on TV, I love Modern Family though I understand people either love it or hate it. Parks and Recreation and Community are also on my good current TV list, but MF is on top as of this season... I re-rank current shows each week based on their performance, but MF has consistently topped the list for a couple of seasons now.

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Oddly enough, the only sitcoms I've ever been able to stomach, and really enjoy, are animated ones, such as The Simpsons, Futurama and King of the Hill. Something about live action sitcoms really bug me; for stuff like How I Met Your Mother in particular, the characters all come off as overly-zany and fake. If it has a laugh track, it's all but guaranteed to piss me off. Malcolm in the Middle, one of the few others I've watched, is hit-or-miss. Bryan Cranston is definitely the bright spot, but the show itself ranges from fairly enjoyable to gut wrenchingly obnoxious.

I actually haven't seen what many regard as classics, though, such as Arrested Development and MASH. Same goes for Modern Family.

7. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    ROTJ Novelisation, apparently:

Vader's pulse and breathing were machine-regulated, so they could not quicken; but something in his chest became more electric around his meetings with the Emperor; he could not say how. A feeling of fullness, of power, of dark and demon mastery - of secret lusts, unrestrained passion, wild submission - all of these things were in Vader's heart as he neared his Emperor. These things and more.​

8. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
  9. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    This conversation made me smile. If one more person tells me that I "would just love Big Bang Theory" I'm gonna force choke them with my geeky little paws.

CooperTFN likes this.
  10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Loving it is one thing. I know people who claim it's the most intelligent and sophisticated show on television.

11. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    [face_sick]

MarasFire likes this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Magnificent [face_love]

What a patriotic passage! You are my heroine for posting it. I'll have to make note of that.

LI: ...what? Are you serious? Canadians. :rolleyes:

13. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    When MF first came on I watched a fw episodes and thought it was alright but not something I would go out of my way to watch. Recently one of my friends "forced" me to sit and watch the first series with them and I swear by the programme now. I watched series two in like a day and am half way through series 3.

I think you misquoted, it's supposed to go..."GrandAdmiralJello's pulse and breathing..." ;)

instantdeath likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've seen Modern Family once or twice, but it's just never interested me. Maybe I'll give it another shot now that Megan Ganz is working on it.

Everything I have to say about BBT can be summed up in two words: nerd blackface.

GrandAdmiralJello , RC-1991 and krtmd like this.
  15. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I'd be more annoyed with the stereotyping in BBT if it didn't fail for me the same way alot of shows do. Getting the humour form the characters being loathsome, annoying, and/or idiots but still expecting me to care about their lives and relationships.

I don't. I just want to see a fat italian guy come in and hit Sheldon with a bat.

This is why I respect Seinfield. It doesn't try to have it's sociopathic comedy cake and eat it too.

Point Given likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I like it primarily because I think the kids are hilarious. That's true whether they're ones I'd personally like (Alex & Manny) or ones that I'd find annoying (Luke & Haley). The adult plotlines are hit or miss for me and get stale, but the kids are always on top of their game.

Some people don't like kids, and if so, then perhaps a lot of the charm on the show (for me) might be lost on them.

17. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    [face_hypnotized]

Nothing will ever achieve the heights of...whatever it is this is achieving heights of. Everyone go home, there are no more prizes to be won.

I'm going to print this out on small business cards, hand them to people in line at the supermarket checkout, strangers in nightclubs, the elderly; I will slip away and wait for the revolution.

cthugha, MarasFire, Zorrixor and 3 others like this.
  18. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    You're welcome. I had that one quoted for me, oh, years back, and I've not been able to forget it since.:p

Does it get better or worse when an alternate pairing, what with Emperor's Hand Roganda Ismaren also being his concubine, is Emperor/Hand?:p

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    As distasteful as Ismaren may be, she sure knew how to dress up!

And Rilwen, if you knew about this years ago then why haven't you mentioned it until now?? Seriously, you're like eight years late on this! :p

20. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Well, it takes a suitable context and mental association to spur me to find it again...:p

You'd be amazed how infrequently Palpy/Vader D/s is relevant to my conversations.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I find it hard to believe that I would've never brought up the patriotic bond between His Majesty and Lord Vader :p

Random Comments likes this.
  22. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    No, you were too busy discussing their advances in the field of baking.:p

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You might not want to say that to Vader's face.

24. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    It was you who said he forged an Empie...:p But I suppose that counts both ways, being a most patriotic pastry.

25. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I was describing the NJO to someone the other day when I suddenly remembered the Ryn and it kind of clicked for me. I had always known they were supposed to be analogues to the real-life Roma people but I never really thought about how problematic that is until after processing through a lot of this thread.

So you've got this "species" of furry nomadic aliens known for a bunch of stereotypical things like being clean and playing music and fortune telling and being trafficked into sex slavery and being musical and artsy and tricksy and romanticized nomads. The most prominent character in the series is named (D)Roma and their leader is named "Romany" if that wasn't blatant enough. It's more blatant even than "Epicanthix" and "Ming Po" and awkward to boot. (Whoa, my tablet has since added Epicanthix to my autocorrect. Thanks, thread!)

The fantasy trope of using real-life minority/foriegn group stereotype traits to construct a fantasy species literally "alienates" their experiences from human narratives in the story and subconsciously reinforces the peception that the default human in both the real world and Star Wars is a white human. I would argue that this trope and especially the weird Romani parallels automatically dates the NJO. Especially since, in the early 2000s when NJO was written, stereotyping Romani people happened to be prominent in pop culture (eg. Hunchback of Notre Dame, His Dark Materials, Buffy, that one Lawrence Kasdan movie about the lost dog.)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceJews
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FantasyCounterpartCulture
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreWhite

George Lucas has said that at one point he considered making Han Solo a black character, but decided he "didn't feel like making Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

Point Given likes this.