main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Does this Mean DisneyLand & DisneyWorld will have more Star Wars Involvement?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darthbane2007, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    As the title says, does this mean that SW will have more of a presence in Disney Theme Parks as we get closer and closer to the Sequel Trilogy?

2. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Maybe we'll get a Star Wars Universe Theme Park!!

3. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Hopefully

4. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Wait, didn't Lucasfilms ask an artist to make this for Celebration 5?
    [​IMG]

5. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    That's a really cool piece of art. Do you think Lucasfilm was even aware that the Disney acquisition would be on the horizon and this was a sort of "testing the waters" kind of thing?

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    As much as I recall, the artists themselves came up with the concept of their pieces and things went from there. That particular print was done by Tom Hodges and I believe he also did a handful of other prints in the same style as the Disney attraction posters that hang as you walk under the train station to enter the Magic Kingdom. It was a neat little concept, but I suspect it had more to do with this being the first Celebration to come to Orlando rather than a hint of the future merger.

In terms of seeing more Star Wars coming to the parks, I believe that's inevitable. There have been rumors flying on the Disney front way before the announcement of the merger of plans to expand the GFFA's presence at Hollywood Studios. One such rumor I heard was putting in a new restaurant themed to the Mos Eisley cantina. I guess we'll have to see where things go from here.

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I hope so too! A friend and I speculated what a SW theme park might be like. It's a lot like that picture, with various areas dedicated to the worlds of SW. You could have real droids walking or rolling around for pic ops or information etc... You could have actual repro'd set pieces of the Lars moisture farm, Mos Eisly cantina etc... And of course a real life, full to scale, Millennium Falcon to explore and take pictures of.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If there is a Mos Eisley cantina, that better include the Max Rebo Band

9. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I should think we'll see Chuck E. Cheese style animatronics of these guys. LOL :p

[​IMG]

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm already feeling sorry for the guys who, dressed as Biths all day, will have to listen to that same music day in and day out, over and over again.

(Yeah, I got the joke, I'm just saying.)

11. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    If they make a theme park, i want it to be just like the picture I posted earilier, It has something for everyone! I mean, you got one side for PT fans , and then the other side for those who love the OT. And then, my personal favorite both sides, for, anyone and everyone who want to go on both sides I guess.

Who wants to help me raid Disney and force them to make an exact replica of this map, with a couple of combined Jedi mid tricks!:cool:

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We'll be hitting the updated Star Tours when we go to Disney in Orlando this coming spring. Maybe our next visit after that can include some new SW stuff... definitely looking forward to that!

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm in. I drew my own map, albeit with crayons on the back of an Olive Garden placemat, but I have some more ideas that i didn't even mention. Got my blaster packed and ready to roll. Just give the word!

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

I figure these guys could team up with PSY and do it "Gangnam Style".

15. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I started a thread about this months ago, and was told it shouldn't be in this forum. Same thing.

But alas, I agree. i think they should have their own park. I mean the robust history of things, the possibility of having PT, OT and now ST areas, etc.

16. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If Harry Potter gets its own addition to Universal, Star Wars should get a larger addition to Disney other than Star Tours. A separate park would be awesome.

17. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Probably.

18. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    I hope so! Really looking forward to some Star Wars characters roaming Tomorrowland. :cool:

19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    It's a cute drawing but an extremely impractical design. The enclosure and dimensions of the exhibits is not realistic. The opened space is tacy and would take you out of it. The size of the exhibits doesn't make sense either. The bus stations are crammed against endor and other places. It's a bad design...

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    They need to do something to answer Harry Potter, that's for sure. The new Fantasyland is nice and all, but I feel it's going to take more than that. Avatarland is also in the works for Animal Kingdom and while that will help, it won't be anything compared to a Star Wars-themed land or theme park. I think Star Wars is the answer.

Actually, the layout mirrors Disneyland/Magic Kingdom almost exactly, right down to the hub and the way each land branches out. If you look closely at a Disney theme park map, you will notice that the train stations are tight up against the attractions as well (in some cases, the tracks themselves run through the attractions). The scaling just looks off due to the drawing (most theme park maps are like that), but the layout itself is not impractical. Disney has proved on more than one occasion that it works.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  21. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I guess it just didn't capture the imagination for me. I've never been to Disney world before or looked at one of the maps. It just doesn't capture the imagination for me. I'm not looking for a theme park spaghetti western style. If I go some place like this I want to feel like I'm actually there without boundaries, it's so open to the external world for me that I just can't see myself getting into it.

What's the point of living a fantasy when you can't live one? The cake is a lie.

I don't know if I would enjoy disney world either. I don't want to see the theme park through the trees sort of speak.
    It might work in person and when laid out and when it's more 3-dimensional but this sketch really doesn't do it for me.

As for proving it works, statically I'm sure , as a theme park. Disney has lots of money and people pay to see attractions . Doesn't really say much when you think about human nature and how society flows with time. I'm not sure if it's what I would enjoy or what I am looking for though. I agree that if the sketch is used for a specific purpose and it does well to serve that purpose then how I feel about it is almost irrelevant. I simply want something it doesn't , can't offer me.

I'm the guy who literally wants to save up for money when he's older to build a life sized yoda hut so hat he can sleep in it and pretend he's there with Yoda....

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Totally understand where you're coming from. I can't say for certain how a park like that would work without seeing it in person. I'm just going from my experience with the Disney theme parks and being a huge Disney nerd, I picked up on the design almost instantly. I will say that Disney has a way of transporting you to another world and it almost seems as if the outside world doesn't exist. That's one of the things that keeps me going back. I'm not sure if you would have the same experience or if that's even what you're looking for, but I figured I'd throw that out there. Cheers! [face_peace]

Hitchhiking-Ghost and kainee like this.
  23. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    This was always my first thought with this Lucasfilm purchase....as to whether they'd have a full-on dedicated theme park that takes you into a real Star Wars world, rather than just adding some small rides at the existing Disneyland

24. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    It's a concept drawing, not a blueprint.

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    A Long Time Ago Land.

You said it yourself. You've never been to Disney World, so you don't know what is like. You would have a different opinion.