main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Rule one... The Doctor lies. :p I do agree with you, though. He's usually quite an active interviewee, but in this case he doth protest too much, methinks. :p As far as I'm concerned it would be huge shock if Tennant didn't appear. I'd go so far as to say it would be ridiculous. So I think he knows we all 'know' he's going to be in it, and we know he knows we all 'know'. So his media appearances have become sport. He's asked, he says no - finding new ways to obfuscate the situation - and both parties laugh thus ending the contest. And repeat. I think he loves it. :p

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    In other words, it doesn't matter what he says...

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I do think he has probably been asked to be in it already at least. He may not actually know story details, but I think he's enjoying this.

Now Billie, I would believe she might not have been asked at all and might not appear. But yeah there is no way in hell Tennant's not in it

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I didn't watch the Billie clip. Can't bring myself to. R***'s final appearance at the end of TEOT felt final. It really did.

5. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well she basically just said she knew nothing and no one had asked her about it. It seemed genuine.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, it looked genuine to me, too.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Have any of the former companions been asked? I thought Barrowman said he hadn't been asked either.

Seems highly likely Tennant will appear and would want to do it if asked.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm still hoping above all other companions that they get a cameo from William Russell. And ASAP...

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I will be bitterly disappointed if we don't see at least one or two former companions. But Moffat may chose not to include them since Karen said she didn't want to come back and do the 50th (and her and Arthur's exits were written to specifically accomidate that wish), and Moffat may think it unfair to include past eras companions and not be able to include Amy and Rory.

There will be past Doctors, I feel, because Moffat would likely be hanged if there wasn't at least Tennant involved in the 50th.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think Moffat will be the first person to agree David should come back since he tried to get him to stay for S5 anyway.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agreed.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    NO MORE FRICKIN' ROSE!
    Didn't like her as a companion.
    Loved that they got rid of her.
    HATED that the kept bringing her back. Utterly sabotaged the best part of the season2 finale: her departure.

14. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I will never get the claim that they "kept" bringing her back. All of her S4 appearances were clearly from the beginning going to be part of one storyline. It's not like every episode she was in they kept saying she'd never return and then decided again to bring her back. I feel like that's a miscategorization.

Juliet316 and Random Comments like this.
  15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    "All of her S4 appearances were clearly from the beginning going to be part of one storyline" and totally unnecessary.
    Locked away forever in a parallel universe. Except she comes back.
    It was almost as bad as the "This/These are the last Dalek(s) in the universe, until next season" trope. At least they finally killed that one.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    This. It was only at the end of Doomsday that Ten said she couldn't come back. It's not like he saw in in every episode and she either kept disappearing and saying she was never to return in S4.

Edit: in response to Koohii and his last post: That was the Doctor that said she was locked away forever. He had no way of knowing that Rose herself might come up with a way to get back to him. It was just that he couldn't figure it out without punching a hole in the universe.

Oh and before anybody says that Rose herself did that with the Dimension Cannon. She says when she, the Doctor, Donna and Jack are all in the TARDIS being transported to the Dalek ship that the Cannon only started working when the stars started going out. Which was the work of the Daleks.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    But her return robs the ending of season 2 of all emotional impact. It cheapens the moment, like a 10 year old running up and telling a fart joke to a couple who just got engaged. C'mon, the Doctor spent about 5 minutes moping about her, burned up a star to send a goodbye message, and closed the portals between the two worlds FOREVER.
    And then they just said "oh, no he didn't."

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Koohii hates the new show unconditionally, but I do agree that the SECOND time they said she was gone forever was annoying. What, there can't be an unforeseen event like THE ONE THAT JUST HAPPENED?

EDIT: I don't actually mind her coming back, only the "gone for realz this time" thing.

Random Comments likes this.
  19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    This must be a historical moment indeed. I agree with Koohii on this issue. :p

20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree the "it's really forever now" lost its punch. And people can dislike her return if they like (though I don't). I just get annoyed at people saying she "kept" returning because it indicates you aren't really paying attention. Or I guess they could all be like Koohi and just hate the show outright.

Random Comments and Juliet316 like this.
  21. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I think the perfect ending would have been this:

[​IMG]

It would've been unexpected, tragic, and really heartbreaking, yet understated, and very effective from a storytelling point of view. For me, all those emotions were dampened by the Bad Wolf Bay scene at the end (yeah, I count that as the first breaking of the "she can't come back" rule).

Plus, she says in the beginning of the episode "this is a story of how I died". Um, no you didn't.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I don't like talking about Some Chav, so I won't.

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well the narration trick isn't too bad... shows and films do that all the time. I hoped they would actually kill her but wasn't sad that they didn't.

And I've always been really split on Rose's exit. A large part of me agrees with Maria that that would have been the most artistically satisfying (and certainly heartbreaking) ending. But the trouble for me personally is just that I really like S4 Rose. And knowing that was where she was headed personally is what made me like her a lot more on subsequent viewings of S1 and S2.

And the thing is, now that horse is out of the barn. As we've all noted, the 'she can't ever come back' from the end of S4 doesn't hold any weight. And because they've already broken that, to me it kind of seems like... what's the point of using that as a reason not to have her back? I'm not saying she has to be in the 50th. I'm just saying that if they wanted her to be, if there was a story reason that Moffat wanted to bring Rose back, I think he should. If not, he shouldn't. I like Rose well enough, she was a really important part of reviving the show, but at the same time I also won't be sad if she doesn't appear. I'm disinterested on that.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I will be sorely cross withOUT an appearance by:
    [​IMG]

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Mickey the Idiot? :p

NYCitygurl and Juliet316 like this.