main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Many people I know liked Kotor more than the movies. Also in Revan, LucasArts have an asset that can generate them a lot of profit and could be an iconic figure as big as Vader. To be fair, it is obvious that he was created as a perfect Vader and it's not a coincidence that in many polls Revan vs Vader, Revan won by a big margin (TOR forums). Also, Revan's revelation is at-least on pair with "I am your father" twist. I don't understand why LA don't adapt that story which has a perfect protagonist, a perfect twist and very good antagonists.

2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    What a load of rubbish.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Continuing on after the events of ROTJ is the only logical thing to do if they intend to start with Episode 7 and continue on, apparently making the long fabled Sequel Trilogy. Episodes 1 through 6 take place chronologically, and it would only make sense for Episode 7 and on to do so too, along the same timeline. The average movie goer (and frankly, the average SW fan) will expect that. They can always revisit other portions of the SW timeline later with non-episodic movies if they want to, and they've said they'll continue putting out SW movies every two or three years, so that seems possible if not likely.

The profits to be made from making these movies in this way will most likely dwarf whatever losses they take in lost book sales from a relatively small portion of the public who are big enough EU fans to stop buying products because they disagree with the approach being taken.

4. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    People who are saying that they don't want certain things undone must remember, after themovies, TVshows and newer comics can fill things in after the movies are made, and things like the Yuzzan Vong war could happen, but on a smaller scale that is.

5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That's actually kind of depressing, having events like the Yuuzhan Vong War not retconed to oblivion. I think the post-ROTJ EU could use a clean-up.

6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well... they might go the wrote that the Marvel Comics ended up going... being labeled N-Canon unless reintegrated by a C-Canon source (That's how we go Lumiya). I could so see them going back and redoing somethings too, to tie up loose ends and so forth. Maybe they decided. "Well the Vong were neat and different, but having them dominate twenty plus books was just too much. Lets cut it down to a trilogy... didn't Zahn say something about he'd want a major extra-galactic threat to fight if he was going to pickup that Thrawn clone thread again?"

Even if they decanonize a lot of it, some ideas are definitely going to get recycled into new stories. That's just how it works.

7. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I don't think that decannonozation means that we can't enjoy the story. let's say that the thrawn trilogy gets decanonized. i shall always enjoy it as a good follow up to rotj.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    To be fair that is a good point, comparing the PT to the OT is a big reason why so many dislike it because they expected it to be as good or better when that was never really likely.

I can't think of a film series continuation done so long after and original set of movies that worked as well or better than the originals - Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Terminator 4, Prometheus and others all fialed to live up to what came before in part because they were compared to the great originals.

Best to view them on their own merits I say, try not to judge them by a standard set by other materials.

9. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Quin'sal'nuruodo Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    Well when it comes to Sith the Old Republic game however a bomb sealed what a Sith is. as for ahsoka I know that she will survive the clone wars somehow and have guessed they will use her in the ST. As for the chosen one I myself am quite pleased with the Mortis Arch explianation of the prophacy, and its tie in to Aboloth. While most dislike her charecter I found her to be the gateway into the Celestials. She also gave meaning to both Darth Ceadus and Krayt.
    What I think most miss in these post is the importants of Allana and what she means to the galaxy.

10. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Nov 1, 2012
    I wanna ask all of you especially Luke_Sparkewalker.
    Can you compare the Star Wars Universe to the likes of Batman.
    Don't get me wrong I love Batman and others however wouldn't you all agree that the Star Wars Canon is a whole new ball game compared to the DC or Marvel Universe's, to be honest I think only a series like Star Trek canon can compare and they do that whole shows and movies are one thing and books are another. Personally I like how united Star wars is in that reguard.

11. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Nov 1, 2012
    As EU fans we can't just roll over as they destroy what we have loved for years. The only thing keeping me in check is that apparently Tim Zahn has be part of this project for awhile. And I love Mara as much as the next person but I love Jacens turn to the dark side creating one of the most remarkable Sith Lords of all time.

12. Quin'sal'nuruodo

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd have to say that # 2 is the best I mean a trilogy at least based of the events of the Second Galactic Civil War would be awesome.

13. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Now thats something I could live with. And its S-canon (secondary) not N-canon (just saying). Meaning that it's not considered canon or takes a backseat more-ly to more recently-established canon. If its referenced though it becomes canon.That actually sounds possible and more likely probable. That sounds like the best way to please everybody.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In a sense, all canon "takes a back seat to more recent canon" except the movies- and even the movies take a back seat to recently revised versions of the movies.

15. JevanShevu

JevanShevu Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2009
    I really want to see Anakin Solo in a movie. or a movie that features the Lost Tribe of the Sith as the villains. I think that would be very cool.

16. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    My expectation will be that Episode VII will forge its own story, one almost completely independent of the current EU. Then what we'll have (in the post-RotJ era anyway), is kind of an "ultimate EU", in the vein of Ultimate Marvel.

What this means is new books, comics, games, maybe even a cartoon, that bridge that gap between RotJ and Ep. 7. Familiar characters and storylines from the EU will be brought back, but adapted to fit the current situation (and to provide a more streamlined plot arc). There could be twists along the way - maybe the Vong invade soon after the Battle of Endor, and the Rebels have to team up with Thrawn to defeat them.

Krueger and Han Shot First like this.
  17. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I do hope so, it really does need, to be broken down and rebuilt, with a higher quality of writing.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd have no objection to that, I think "Ultimate EU" could be fun. A long-running fictional series eventually need a good continuity pipe-cleaning every few decades, I just don't see the EU being that much of a severe revamp if only cuz fans would get up in arms about it, Star Wars fans moreso! The EU loves their retcons, look at how they manhandled the Spparti cloning process into the Clone Wars when everything about how the clones are described in "Heir" really run contrary to how it played out.

19. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    You should all go the EU Community thread and join the Order of the Ffib!

Esg likes this.
  20. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Maybe not!

21. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I would really hate it if the EU twisted itself into knots to try to match an entirely divergent Episode VII. I mean, it goes way beyond the few references in Heir to the Empire.

It would only take a note in the opening crawl saying there have been "decades of peace" to wipe out Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi. It would only take Chewbacca being alive to wipe out the New Jedi Order. It would only take Han and Leia having different children (or even no children at all) to wipe out everything from the Thrawn Trilogy onwards.

The prequels only had to contend with a few references here and there in a completely different era, with before the the time of the Empire explicitly off-limits (plus, we knew exactly where that era would end up thanks to the OT). The ST will be set in a time already well covered by the EU, and could potentially go in any story direction. The EU has never faced a situation like this before. Maybe it will survive, but I doubt it. The hardcore EU fans are nothing compared to the existing movie fans and potential new young audience.

JackG and Winged_Jedi like this.
  22. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Exactly. As much as you may love your Jacen Solos and Anakin Solos and Thrawns and Vongs, I think you can kiss all of them goodbye. If anything, they may keep some names and references from the EU intact, but stories and backgrounds will be forever altered.

IMO, the most likely characters to remain are Jaina Solo, Ben Skywalker and Mara Jade, but again, they would not necessarily be the same as presented in the books.

I don't mean to be a downer, but if you are an EU fan, brace yourself for big changes.

Han Shot First likes this.
  23. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Though I haven't actually read any EU novels past Episode VI, I agree and would also be pretty annoyed if that happened. I don't think it would be too much of a hardship to maintain the current storylines of the EU in that time period and still create a solid storyline for Episode VII. Having said that, it will be interesting to see whether Disney actually choose to respect the older EU hardcore fans or whether they just blatantly disregard them in an attempt to make as much money as possible, which I also think is the likely scenario.

24. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    To be honest, speaking as one of those older EU hardcore fans, I would prefer Disney to sweep clean much of the post-ROTJ EU. I'm looking forward to a Star Wars universe where Han and Leia don't have two dead sons.

25. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Can someone who is an EU fan fill me in on somethings?

1. I understand that there were restrictions on time periods and/or characters that the EU authors could work with. If so, what were they?

2. Aside from the books, video games, and The Clone Wars series, what other EU outlets are there?

3. What EU stuff was either shown on screen or mentioned in the PT?

4. What EU projects did George Lucas, if any, have a hand in, and in what way?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.