main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Sequel Trilogy Timeline

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Bops, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    45 ABY fits well. But I personally would like 50 ABY. That way the 5 years in between we can have a Chewie returns book...

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    For me, seeing these responses begs the question: Who here wants to follow EU and who doesn't?

I'm very curious. Perhaps we can set up a poll??

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There was a poll about finding the fan dynamics of Star Wars however I was accused of being divisive. Basically my stance is this... EU as inspiration not as doctrine... The point will be as follows... There is going to be a gap between 6 and 7. Anyone who cared what happened between the two points would have to get into the EU. Either way Episode 7 will be a fresh original story.

The only things that could really derail the EU would be:
    1. setting it before 45 ABY, but we could have a flexible time scale in the EU to allow for the events to have happened just in a shorter time span
    2. New Skywalker Solo kids, (this would be the biggest problem) but why change the names of the Skywalkers and Solos, if they don't show up they don't show up. But it would make sense to use Jaina as the name for Leia and Han's daughter as many Star Wars fans who have looslely followed Star Wars beyond RotJ and even picked up one book or played Jedi Academy, will expect certain things to have happened. EU fans realize that the movies will make more in a weekend then the books will ever. That being said, I don't think Disney would want to throw away a profitable book franchise, that being said, this will allow for Disney to release books to set up for the direction they want the franchise to go.

Apophis_ and Julius Vernon like this.
  4. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    There's a lot I don't like about the EU, so I'm pretty against using it, pretty much, at all.

I don't like the idea of Solo Twins. Twins have been done, Luke & Leia... Why use the same premise?

Chewbacca should be alive.

Emperor clones, Skywalker clones, clone clones, etc... No thanks.

Mystery Jedi/Sith being introduced late in the game. It feels like a murder mystery where the killer is introduced in the last chapters.

And I want original stories. I have nothing against those of you who read EU, but it isn't canon in my eyes. I'm ok with a few things working their way in to the movies but I can't see adhering to every book.

5. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    (I did read and LOVE Darth Plagueis though)

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    1. Twins: Jacen is Dead, only Jaina remains, therefore probably the only Solo child to be shown in an EU inclusive movie.
    2. Chewie: Yes he should still be alive. If he were to return it would be an EASY retcon with in the EU
    3. Clones: They are NOT going to bring up clones because it is cheap. Cloning a random Bounty Hunter is eh... Cloning a main character is no good. The Clones of Skywalker and Palps aren't even mentioned in the books anymore. Why? Because it is cheap. They won't clone or include clones or even make mention of clones of Luke or anyone else, save for the possible Clone Wars mention...
    4. What book has mystery Jedi introduced late in the game? None...
    5. It WILL be original...The only thing they may use is character names... If they use names you don't need to know there past or their future.

And yes there are some stinkers in the EU, more often than not... But I encourage you to read I, Jedi. It is interesting because it is the only first person novel within the SW galaxy from the point of view of Corran Horn.

I, for one, enjoy Corran Horn. I think he is wonderfully written most of the time. He is interesting and deep, and has been developed more than any non movie character save for the Skywalker Solo lineage... It is because of characters like Corran Horn that I would mourn the passing of the EU. Not for clones or deaths or Solo kids, but the Corellian guy that helps to bring down the Empire and become a Jedi.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Reading it now... The whole midi chloriene thing is a bit much for me... Don't make the Force Scientific, but then again from the Sith point of view it could be viewed as scientific by some sith

8. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    Just ignore the midiclorian stuff. Without giving anything away, it really doesn't need to be in the story, in my opinion.

Hang in there. It is an excellent story.

9. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I didn't mean an EU book doing this. I'm referring to poorly written murder mysteries that do this. I feel that some super powerful enemy being introduced now would be cheap.

10. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I will check out I, Jedi. Anything else you recommend?

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    EP7 Will be SET at 45ABY : here is the math

1. The EU has a gap in the timeline ( 45ABY - 104ABY ) perfect time for 2 trilogies - why is there a gap ?
    2. The big 3 are the pefect age to reprise their roles at 45ABY
    3. Ben Skywalker at 19 is the same age Luke was in EP4
    4. Allana Solo at 9 is the Same age Anakin was in EP1
    5. The Age gap between Ben & Jaina Solo is almost exactly the same age as Anakin & Obi-wan's 17 vs 16
    6. Jaina is almost exactly the same age as Obi-Wan was in AOTC .
    7. Mark Hamill will be the same age as Alec Guiness was in EP4 ( as in both 62yo when the movies are/were filmed )
    8. Keep the EU mostly intact - there will be re-boots of some sort
    9. 2 comments by George Lucas awhile ago on the sequel trilogy wiki 1. we will see the old cast in their 60's or 70's 2. EP7 will be set 20 , 30 or perhaps "40" yrs after ROTJ .

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Since you don't like the Clone of a known character just check out I Jedi for now... Maybe X Wing Series if you like Tom Clancy... I am willing to bet that series won't be over written... Other than that, keep your forays into the EU limited. One sour apple and (though I always enjoy certain novels) I will stop reading for a solid couple of months to a year. Then I get another book I enjoy, and I binge read all that I've missed.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I like your thinking... I don't know about a reboot. I think the EU will just have to roll with the punches and come out stronger on the other side. Think about all the Post RotJ books we still got during the PT, plus the PT books like Shatterpoint and others. Now consider the fact they will all be in the same time period. The EU is about to fill up. I am excited to help retcon a Jedi they include that we have never seen before. Maybe that was the Jedi Corran Horn had with him on Corellia during the start of LotF. Maybe a random Alliance officer can be "Gavin Darklighter"... ect...

I really want either Kyle or Corran to show up at some point

14. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I want them to follow the EU & set EP7 at 45ABY it can be done Micheal Ardnt can write it ,

Besides what really begs the question is there a palusible reason why there is a 60 years gap in the EU timeline ( 45ABY - 104ABY ) ?????

15. Darth Sone

Darth Sone Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I don't mind it either way to be honest.

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    the only EU story i have read cover to cover and several times is Shadows of the Empire. i tried to read some of the recent stuff but i couldn't get into it.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, the recient stuff isn't amazing but if you check out things like Crosscurrent Riptide or Scourge you stand a good chance of enjoying it. That being said can't go wrong with I, Jedi.

But back on topic... There is no reason to not use the EU. The only ting I could see as a complaint is fans who didn't follow EU "didn't know what was going on" despite the high probability that this new trilogy will be the start of a new story with the generation that has grown up in EU, ie. Jaina and Ben...

18. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I dunno... Seems to me there are immeasurably more 'casual fans' than die-hard EU fans. My gut tells me Disney will disregard EU to make the story more palatable to the general public.

They would have an easier time seeking forgiveness from EU fans than they would trying to explain the 30-40 year gap to casual fans.

19. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    No explanation would be required. In Star Wars, the characters very rarely reminisce about prior experiences. If Episode VII takes place around 45 ABY, there's only two things to include to satisfy EU fans: Ben and Jaina. That's it. Sure, you could have passing mention of Chewbaca's death (or bring him back if the movies are set even later than 45 ABY, and have books explain his return), and maybe an appearance by Allana, but Ben and Jaina are the only two elephants in the room, so to speak.

Personally, I think the chances of them being in the new trilogy are actually quite high. I mean, the OT characters are almost certainly going to have kids, so why change the arrangement that already exists and feels like the natural progression of the story? The only disclaimer I'd give to the EU fans is to not expect any mention of the other (deceased) kids, nor any references to actual events that happend in the EU during the 40+ year gap. For example, I don't think we're going to see Luke talking about Yuuzhan Vong wars, or anything like that.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  20. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    You don't think it would be awkward to just introduce such major characters out of the blue with no back story?

It hasn't been done with a Skywalker before. Granted there have only been two (three if we're counting Leia) but I don't see it being done with out showing it on screen, regardless if it is needed or not.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    We don't know that, so don't state it like a fact.

Apophis_ likes this.
  22. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I think the EU Team and the Non-EU Team are guilty of that...

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What do you mean introduce a character out of the blue with no backstory... Luke lives on a farm with his aunt and uncle. That is it... You didn't even know Princess Leia until the droids explain who she is to Luke. You don't know that Obi Wan is Obi Wan in the PT until Qui Gon calls him by name. You don't know any character or any back story.

All you need to know is this is Ben, he is a Jedi and son of Luke. This is Jaina she is a Jedi daughter of Han and Leia...\
    You will get introduced to them in EP 7. Fresh start with their characters...

Corvax855 likes this.
  24. The Bops

Oct 30, 2012
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, Kyris. :)

If it was any other movie, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But I think the Star Wars Saga is on a different standard.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What did you know about these characters at the outset of Episodes 1 and 4...
    Padme/Queen Amidala
    Jar Jar Binks
    Qui Gon Jinn
    Han Solo
    Chewbacca
    Obi Wan (Both 1 and 4)
    Luke
    Darth Vader (4)
    Lando (5)

You don't know anyone you MEET them...
    The first two characters you meet in Episode 4 are R2 and C-3P0. We, as viewers, follow them to meet Princess Leia, Luke and Obi Wan. Then the focus transfers to Luke to meet Han and Chewie...

In TPM you get Obi-Wan and Qui Gon, who after getting to know them, you meet Jar Jar, Padme, and R2. Once they hit Taatoine, the central crew becomes Qui Gon, Jar Jar, R2, and Padme introducing Anakin and C-3P0. Then Qui Gon introduces Anakin to Yoda and Mace...

I mean honestly, you are dropped in to the action and have to figure it out. Now if you fear that the characters have too much back story... I wouldn't worry about it. Qui Gon is a Jedi Knight/Master, we know this because "You would be on the council if you listened to them" This tells us all we need to know. Qui Gon is a master who doesn't always listen to the council...

You get to know the characters through the movie... If you WANT more, you go to EU. If you are satisfied with what they gave you, then you don't.

Apophis_ and THX_1138biggs like this.