main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Line Item Veto

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by beezel26, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I know the tea party isn't really liked but one thing I don't understand is why didn't they get a line item veto. Listen, they may not like Obama but give him and future presidents a line item veto any you will save more money then lost to obamacare and defense spending. If the tea party wants to retain their power they must seek a line item veto. They will get more from obama and the democrats then from their own party. If they want to give citizens back their power then give the president a line item veto. No more pork.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    EDIT: Oh, suddenly this is a "Senate" thread, so my witty pictorial response is a violation. Thanks, beezel...

DarthBoba likes this.
  3. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Senate. Awesome.

AaylaSecurOWNED likes this.
  4. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    The Supreme Court ruled (correctly, in my opinion) that the line item veto violated the Presentment Clause in the Constitution. Considering that three of the justices in the majority are still on the court, it will be a long time (if ever) that we'll see the line item veto in action.

Source

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    This doesn't have any grammatical errors, I'm just quoting it because it makes so little sense.

Also what PointGiven said.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I agree that it'll be a long time, if ever before the line - item veto ever comes up again, but I disagree that it should have been struck down. It could have helped (if used properly), curtail a lot of pork spending in Washington.

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    The question in the OP isn't whether the Supreme Court should have ruled differently, it's "why didn't the Tea Party seek the line item veto?" and the answer is "because it's unconstitutional."

8. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    When was the last time we had the line item veto?

Also, the Tea Party hates Obama...they almost certainly hate him more than they want to save money. The last thing they'd do is support giving the POTUS the power to delete legislation at his liking while he's in office, whether it might save money or not.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    than vs. then

10. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh is that what the line-item veto is about? I was going to ask but I didn't want to look foolish.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Do you honestly believe it would be used properly, by any president? You're not a fan of the GOP, from what I've seen from your posts. Eventually a Republican will get in the White House again. Would you be comfortable with him/her having the line item veto at his/her disposal?

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We only had a Line-Item Veto for a short time during the Clinton years, and then it was ruled unconstitutional.

If the Tea Party, or anyone, wants the Line-Item Veto... introduce a constitutional amendment. That's the only thing that can be done in this area now.

EDIT: the idea of the Line-Item Veto is very old, though. The Confederates included it in their constitution during the Civil War.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Edit: Summer Dreamer beat me too it.

Point Given I'm actually not too terribly wild about either party (which is why I declare myself more or less an independent voter these days), but Virginia has had a line - item veto for a while and I do believe by and large with some exceptions it has been used responsibly by Governors of both parties here.

14. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Line item veto stops pork barrel spending. It can be used to gut some bills but with the threat of a line item veto then the bill doesn't go ahead. Its much more useful for budgets and extra spending. This way you can actually prevent lobbyists from pushing for stuff along with wasteful spending. You would also stop the use of bribing congressmen for votes with a line item veto. If they know they wont gain power out of it then they lose that power and actually have to vote the way they see fit. Not the way that will most benefit their reelection campaign.

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Putting temp lock on this since with the opening post, I don't follow the discussion you're intending to generate as it's a bit thin, and doesn't seem to give the thread solid footing. PM if you'd like to either a. change it over to a JCC tag or b. give me a bit more thorough first section that introduces the topic (and gives it some direction or context) rather than one that seems more like it's a response to a question/prompt that's not present here

Either option works so PM what you want to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.