main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga New to Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthSidiousVader, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSidiousVader

DarthSidiousVader Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2013
    Hello everyone my name is Jordan and I completely new to the Star Wars universe. I have been pondering purchasing the blu ray set of the films but the $96 price tag is keeping me from doing it at the moment. I have never seen any of the films nor the special features so I am wondering if it is worth my money at this point. (hard time, ya know?) Anyways, I am really close to hitting that 'place your order' button but I haven't done it as of yet. What should I do?

2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "DarthSidiousVader" has never seen the movies? Sounds plausible... Anyway, rent them first.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  3. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Not to sound condescending but who rents movies anymore? In fact I can't even think of any place that rents them besides Red Box, and they don't have Star Wars.

4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I do. Often.

5. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Well that's cool I guess, there's no place here other than Red Box and they only carry new and semi new movies so...

6. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    There are online services

7. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Meh

8. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Then I suggest you buy the original unaltered trilogy on dvd or video cassette or laserdisc. whichever format you prefer.

9. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Has anyone ever heard of yoyo.com? I can get the set for $70

10. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    I went ahead and ordered it, the price simply cannot be beaten. If any of you out there don't have it yet check out www.yoyo.com and use this refer a friend code: JXRD4997 and this promo code to get 30% off YOYO30A and the subtotal will be $69.99 plus tax with free 1-2 day shipping.

11. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    Why do I get the sense that this is the work of a spambot?

12. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    I guess you can think whatever you want as that is your right, but I assure you I am not.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If it's a spambot, it's a very impressive one. They are never this relevant and they don't carry conversations. So I say he's human. :p If anything's going on at all, he works for that website, but I don't think so.

Anyway, I happen to agree on the rental thing. In the wake of Blockbuster closing almost all their stores (after they successfully put all their competition out of business a decade earlier), the only real options for renting DVDs are Redbox (mostly new stuff) and Blockbuster's own boxes designed to compete, and Netflix's subscription service for DVDs by mail (and most people just use Netflix for streaming). Not everyone wants to rent downloaded movies like you can do on iTunes. The other option for DVDs I've found is the local library. Mine has a bunch of copies of SW (all episodes).

But on a SW forum, everyone owns some format or another of the movies anyway. :p

14. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    Go for the seperate trilogys, the discs in the boxset are in those awful sleeves.

15. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Looks nice to me, just have to be careful putting it in and out.

16. Kweh-chan

Kweh-chan Jedi Master star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    Welcome to the fandom and the forums! :)

I'm curious as to how new you are. Have you seen all the films? Do you watch The Clone Wars?

Enjoy your Blu Rays! My family just bought a Blu Ray player, and I'm very much looking forward to trying it when I return home in the spring. Let us know what you think of it!

17. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Hello there! I have seen a few minutes here and there when it has been put on TV but other than that, no I have not seen any of them. I know part of the storyline but that is about it. I will definitely do that! Might post a YouTube video of the unboxing as well.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Get ready for people to argue vehemently about the order you should watch these in. :p

19. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
  20. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Here is my unboxing

StoneRiver and Count Yubnub like this.
  21. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Welcome Jordan. You gotta let us know how the first time viewing went.

Fingers crossed you even like them ;) j/k

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Indeed, tell us your opinion after watching them all. And don't judge any of them based on the opinions of others. Watch them and form your own opinion. ;)

P.S: And welcome.

23. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
  24. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I have seen IV, V, VI, and I and I have to say that I liked them all pretty equally, although I found IV a little weak (probably because I didn't understand any of it, and I guarantee if I watch it now I'd love it as much as the others). I think V and VI are excellent and I is no where near as bad as some people make it out to be. I still have II and III to go so I will let you guys know what I think about those after I see them. If you guys want to know anything specific just ask me I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys may have for me. I have to say, after I saw IV I wasn't sure if I'd even like the series all that much, but after seeing 4 episodes now I have to say that I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.

25. DarthSidiousVader

Jan 8, 2013
    Just finished Episode II and I have to say that it might be my least favorite so far. I thought there was too much ooey-gooey lovie dovie type stuff for a movie like this, but I also thought this one really shows how arrogant Anakin really was and how he really had quite a control of how to use the Force. I liked Obi Wan better here than in Episode I and enjoyed the light saber duel(s) at the end featuring Dooku and Kenobi/Skywalker and also Yoda vs. Dooku. It did seem a little dragged out, but I am also pretty tired sooo yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.