main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Pointy Lightsaber Blades in ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Orrelios, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Anyone else notice that in ROTS, the tip of the lightsaber blades are pointy while in the other five movies, they are not?

Now, why did they suddenly make the tips pointy? It's a bit odd when it is the only movie in the saga where the blades are like that (and this was also carried over onto The Clone Wars animated series as well, where the sabers have the pointed tips).

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, the pointy tips began with Dooku's lightsaber during his duel against Yoda in AotC.

Which weren't like that at the beginning of the series either. ;)

3. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Oh, they already began with the Yoda vs. Dooku duel? That's even more odd (I don't think I even remember that). And as I recall, TCW had the pointy tips already from the first season: I'd better go and check it out again tomorrow.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They mention it on the DVD commentary, although no reason is given for the change.

Yes, it was only from Season 3 onwards, IIRC.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think the reason is to make them more obviously weapons. We see them get used as tools in addition in the other five films-being used to cut holes in doors/etc. Not so in ROTS.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's tons of little wonky quirks with the lightsabers over all the movies. Sometimes they have that sorta little burst at the base of it (see Qui-Gon avatar above) sometimes they're pointy, sometimes they look thin and flat (check out the way Luke first uses the lightsaber in ANH) and sometimes they even cast shadows(!), when Vader moves his lightsaber in ROTJ across the floor with Luke looking down from the steps.

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Anakin cut a hole in the roof of the elevator at the beginning of RotS. And in what way was the lighstaber used as anything but a weapon in ANH? Or TESB? RotJ?

8. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Tauntaun surgery in ESB. That's about it, I think. [face_thinking]

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's just a reflection on the top of the hilt.

Most of those are side effects of rotoscoping. And lightsabers do cast shadows. They are opaque.

10. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Forgot about the elevator.

As for using it as a tool in ROTJ-Luke cutting Han and Chewie's binders, and TESB-Tauntaun surgery.

11. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    The pointy sabers was just a visual effect due to better technology. The change in TCW was to bring the sabers closer to ROTS as the show in general approached ROTS

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    You see, Lightsabers are powered by the Force, and people use them who are really excited, they get pointier at the tip.

But seriously, it's just one of those inconsistent things you shouldn't put too much focus on, just like the engine of the Falcon sometimes being blue with a white core, sometimes just white.