main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Which characters have worked best as the "Hero" in the EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Who is Ben Kenobi. There was an Obi Wan Kenobi once. That being said, please don't kill the Skywalker line off... :( I hope you were joking.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I think he meant that because they killed off Anakin Solo because Lucas thought we might get him and Anakin Skywalker mixed up. You know Ben isn't killed because we have Cade Skywalker

Zeta1127 likes this.
  3. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Unless there's something unheard of in SW, a shock twist!

*Shooting*
    Ben: You can't hit me, I will have a child in the future!
    Luke: Good news Ben, you have a brother!
    BZZANKGK!

Or

Luke: Ben, about that girl in your driving license party...
    BZZANGKG!

Or

Luke: Wow, I just had a wonderful adventure in the future. You will never guess what I did...
    BZZANGKG!

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That's what I've been saying for years. I always confuse those two.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I think we are good. If Ben makes the sequel trilogy, there will be a passing mention about Obi Wan being his name sake. My question is this... IF say a no last name person like Zekk were to marry a woman with a last names (like Taryn Zel), does he:
    A. Make her hyphenate her name Taryn Zel-
    B. Take her last name to be Zekk Zel
    C. Both keep their names
    D. Some other random thing

I think Zekk Zel sounds stupid but possibly cool at the same time. We shall see

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Reading through this thread, it seems like everyone is surprisingly giving the same basic response:
    that the best Hero is an everyman, who goes out of his way to help others.

A good summary? Or does it need more nuance? Does anyone disagree?

7. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm partial toward Qui-Gon and Jacen. And I suppose Kemp's Jaden Korr (haven't read Crosscurrent or Riptide in a while).

And Luke, Leia, and Han go without saying. The foundation of my early EU reading.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Going back to something that was said on the first page: I'm on the third chapter of the first Edge of Victory book and just finished the scene in which Anakin looks at all the in-fighting among the Jedi and focuses on the larger point that all the petty arguing seems to miss: the Vong want all the Jedi dead, including the academy members. And he thinks about Tahiri. And decides that he has to do something on his own.

It's too early to say that he's the person I'd pick for this thread, but I can definitely see the potential there.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    What do you mean? I don't know what you're referencing from the first page.

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry, should have quoted it:

11. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    I find it interesting that Anakin Solo is so popular because I always got the sense that the way he was written was very prescient of Anakin Skywalker in Episode II. One is popular and one is not. But at their core, they're very much the same in what they do.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    One wasn't portrayed by Hayden Christiansen, directed by one G. Lucas and afflicted with lines about sand!

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I knew I liked the guy.

14. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    If the avatar was not an indication, I'm a big Kerra Holt fan.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'm gonna say Anakin Solo for post-ROTJ, Zayne Carrick for KOTOR era, and Jax Pavan for Dark Times.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin Solo is so much more likable than PT Anakin Skywalker by a mile.
    I just found his entire story engaging unlike Anakin Skywalker's. Okay Anakin Skywalker in the tv series' and most of the books was good but the movies lower him in my estimation. He did listen to Mara, Irkit and Corran much better than Anakin Skywalker did with Obi-Wan imo.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Not sure about Anakin Solo "listening" to Mara.

But that said, from what I've read recently I like him better than his siblings.

18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I definitely like Anakin best of the Solo kids, though Jacen was great in the later parts of the series. Awful in LOTF, though.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well to me it looked like he did heed her advice in EOV.
    Jacen was better in the 2nd half of NJO alright but nowhere near as good as Anakin.

20. LivingJediDream

Jul 7, 2010
    He was even better!!!!11one

21. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Kell Tainer

Winter

Talan Karrde

22. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Zayne Carrick. Two things stands out for him: he has never taken a life and has saved millions of people through his unwillingness to make sacrifices -- even when it's the enemy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    It depends on what type of hero you think is better, If you like the fantasy empowerment hero you will chose the likes of Anakin Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc, who's conflict reaffirms their beliefs rather than challenges them.

If you prefer the human story characters characters like Jacen Solo and Cade Skywalker, and those who have to overcome things like doubt, fear, spiritual crisis, who's opponents represent the physical manifestation of their internal problems.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Corran Horn might fall somewhere between the two. He does have something of a spiritual crisis in I,Jedi, but faces it and overcomes it.

25. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

He has a shorter or abortive story arch, as we didn't get to see him deal with the fall out with post-Ithor, He disappears for a while and then he is back, I felt that was a mist opportunity in the NJO.