main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The *Official* Ahsoka in The Clone Wars thread (general discussion)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by G-FETT, Feb 15, 2008.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ahsoka's personality starting in S5 has changed drastically from the last time she had a major role, which was in the Slave arc and "A Friend in Need". To change that quickly seems unrealistic, but then again it seems unrealistic that anyone would go from bratty at 14 to soooo mature in three years or less, especially when they're hanging out with the biggest brat in the galaxy, Anakin Skywalker. It also seems jarring that the dark side I saw in her during the first three seasons, culminating in an actual dark side turn on Mortis (I know, poison), especially when she's hanging out with Mr Dark Side, Anakin Skywalker. Ironically, it seems that giving Ahsoka a master she has to babysit has matured her, instead of giving Anakin a padawan maturing him, as the Council intended.

Just my opinion.

JediMaster_1977 and Esg like this.
  2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    War makes you grow up fast. Or not grow up at all. One or the other.

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I did consider mentioning this, but I haven't made up my mind on it, because the war has had a negative affect on most Jedi and it seems unlikely that the dark side within anyone, especially a Jedi, would simply disappear during the Clone Wars.

Perhaps you're right. Or perhaps I'm just taking this relatively small sample size of S5 and blowing it out of proportion and we'll see the "old Ahsoka" rear her ugly face again.

4. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    I don't think it's a lack of maturity that's Ahsoka's biggest challenge now.

The problem is that she's a reflection of Anakin - too willful, too impetuous, too attached. The Council hoped that having a padawan would settle Anakin down a little, but in a way I think it's having the opposite effect - taking that padawan and making her unsettled.

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    She was crazy willful and impetuous from the start, but she's definitely more unsettled around Anakin now.

I've seen moments of her taking on the parent role, watching out for Anakin, like the child of an addict taking care of the parent.

Esg, Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Obi-Wan directing Ahsoka to look after Anakin in the slave arc was just weird. I think the child taking care of the addict parent comparison is accurate, which makes it all the more irresponsible of Obi-Wan (and therefore out of character for him) to suggest it. He was desperate and felt he didn't have a choice I suppose?

How the war affects individual Jedi will depend on their personalities; Anakin was unstable to begin with and therefore the negative effects were magnified with him (IMO). It's possible that war would make Ahsoka grow up quickly, as it aged Obi-Wan quickly, but I still think the change was unrealistic to the point of being over the top.

7. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    That was basic teenager willfulness and impetuousness. Now it's something more worrisome.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Given TCW's snapshot style format its possible I guess Ahsoka has matured in bits since its often hard to tell how much time passes between the arcs/ episodes. She was more mature in the Slave arc although not quite like this. She did start out being a normal teenage girl when it came to willfulness and snark, likely for the sake of the target audience. I did assume it was because of how accomplished she is and because Yoda would have better things to do with a war going on that was why she had babysitting duty. I mean she does kinda babysit Anakin as you've mentioned which is like a full time job. The change seems so abrupt she is like a different character now.

9. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I don't see anything speculative about Yoda's declaration of the Chosen One. He only says that he does not yet know who this Jedi will be, or even if the Jedi has been born yet. But he is very certain of what the Chosen One will do and that he/she will be the most powerful Jedi in history.
    Furthermore, Obi-Wan states in RotS to Anakin: "You were the Chosen One." This is a very clear statement that Obi-Wan did believe Anakin to be the Chosen One - and thus Obi-Wan perceived Anakin would be the most powerful Jedi in history given Yoda's statement. Whether Obi-Wan still thought that after defeating Anakin is another matter.

10. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Hmm...
    Dave promised she'd get a few curve balls this season. [face_beatup] Which might actually mean it won't ever happen.. [face_plain]

Seerow likes this.
  11. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Anakin is addicted to the dark side! =D

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol... I'm chosing to believe Ashley E. on this one, I think.

13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I don't think she's really lost her snarky personality this season. I think she's just been put in situations where she has to be seen in a mature light. Onderon - she has to be a good leader but needs to stand back and let the freedom fighters do their own thing. Younglings - she obviously needed to look mature to the younglings. But even both of these arcs had aspects of the Ahsoka we're all used to. I think in general we see this attitude from her more when she's in situations when people belittle her or her abilities - she rebels a bit more. But when she's in charge, she doesn't have the need to. I think its a pride thing....hints of Anakin but without the burden of "You're the Chosen one!!!"

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I like snark, don't get me wrong, but I hated snarky Ahsoka - a mouthy 14-year old padawan mouthing off to and consistantly outdoing experienced Jedi? I like her maturation a lot, which is one reason I no longer actively dislike her role. Rewatching an early season episode I so wanted to smack the writers for her portrayal as the know-it-all, can-do-it-all super Jedi padawan.

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    I think they've worked out a great balance with the character after the "Progression Marker" to where she is now. But i do admit that this season she is lacking.....pizazz? It seems as though she's not as physically entertaining as before, i.e, we haven't seen major lightsaber duels from her really or interacting with the clones on the battlefield as much. I think thats the biggest thing for me. I just really want to see more of her interaction with the clones...

16. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    I only consider her similar to a sassy, snarky Leia.
    How can you say that with all her lightsaber and jumping antics in the Young Jedi arc and her duel with Grievous?

AkashKedavra_93 and 07jonesj like this.
  17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I disliked Ahsoka at first because she acted more like an 8-year old would than a 14-year old. No 14-year old would come up with "Artooie".

All that begins to tone down by the end of the first season though, and now in Season 5 Ahsoka is one of my favourite characters of this show. Ashley Eckstein does a fantastic job with her voice.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I for one have never had a problem with Ahsoka's abilities. Shes isn't distracted by facebook and stuff like real 14 year olds. She has plenty of time to hone her skills and gain new ones. I can live with all that happening off screen because, IMO its not important. TCW is done in a style where it pretty much shows snapshots of important events in characters lives, it does not follow them day to day. However, I feel like the super mature Ahsoka seen in Onderon and particularly in Young Jedi is more boring than the fiery Ahsoka, She doesn't hardly seem to react to anything.

Also, while I don't have a problem with her skills, Ahsoka seems to have become a remarkably mature adult like the flip of a switch to me. It seems like something happened to her off screen and that annoys me in this instance because it feels like I've missed an important episode. Its sudden. She was toning down, gaining patience, and more lethal than ever in season 4 but not this much. I haven't seen anything happen yet to account for her sudden change in personality.

19. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    It happened in A Friend in Need when she witnessed the senseless slaughter of her new friend, Tryla, and how Death Watch was also going to mean the destruction of her friend Lux.

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I didn't get the impression Tryla's death while shocking was what done it. She slipped into her defender of peace role and tried to save the village from burning. Plan B was simply escaping. Khalifa's death seemed to have the most effect of any up until Steela (Its at the funeral shes moping about the war). However Ahsoka still had some of that fire throughout season 4. It was really in the Rako Hardeen arc she started to seem so mature. I think the best in universe explanation is the brutal war and the combination of loses have robbed her of her spunky personality (maybe?).

rumblewagon likes this.
  21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The Rako Hardeen arc is right after A Friend in Need, so that seems to work with what rumblewagon was saying just fine.

AkashKedavra_93 and rumblewagon like this.
  22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I think the season 3 finale had a big effect on Ahsoka's character. She was forced to fend for herself in a very hostile environment. The death of Kalifa, the de facto leader, also seemed to take it's toll.

23. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    My mistake...I was forgetting about that. it may just be that after this past arc, the season seems to be moving too slowly in general.

AkashKedavra_93 and rumblewagon like this.
  24. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    It's this arc. After watching "A Sunny Day in the Void", I thought, "Why am I watching this show?".

Gascon and WAC have this astounding ability to make you forget how good TCW can be. Hopefully Maul will pop up in the next episode and kill them. [face_praying]

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I just didn't feel like Tryla's death had that much impact on Ashoka. We could definitely chalk that up to how rushed "A Friend in Need" is. If we'd spent more time with Tryla and Ahsoka has had a slightly stronger response to it. As is it feels more like Ahsoka took at as the signal to spring into action.