main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming Diagon Alley: The Official Harry Potter Thread/Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kessel Runner, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Snape, definitely Snape.

2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I have, but there's only four chapters so far.

They're supposedly releasing the next batch (chs. 5-11?) anytime now, but not yet still.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Rowling considering adding to Potter books. I know she's peddling "The Casual Vacancy" at the moment, but it's an interesting notion. I must admit I would be open to re-reading the Potter books with 'new material'.

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I wonder which ones she meant - the later, thicker ones, or the early thinner ones. :p I'd prefer if she added more material to books 1-3.

Also, I'm really hoping for a future book of short stories about the Marauders' adventures. :D

5. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    She has said that even with the three years she had, she rant out of time with OotP. I mean, by that point, she could've delayed the book as long as she liked, but she wanted to deliver something, I think. And with OotP, Rowling said she wanted to cut it down, not add to it, so there's that. Hmm.

6. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Link

Too many bad words. Changing to link.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

I actually have definitely though Cumberbatch would be a great Snape. He's actually the right age now :p I love Rickman and all, but I get annoyed that the actors portraying the Marauders are way too old. It's better if they are actually in their mid-30s and were then actually really young during the war. It makes the parallelism much stronger.

Of course, by the time I make this, Benedict will be way too old. So uh... time machine? :p

On that note, are there actors now that you could imagine as alternative casting for things? Or that you could imagine in your heads as you read?

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    A spaceship moving close to the speed of light would suffice. :p

And I think BC is one of those people who hardly ever change as they grow older. If you watch "Fortysomething", which was made in 2003, you'll see there's barely any difference between his appearance then and his appearance in the second series of Sherlock.

Everton likes this.
  9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Rachel, if you can wait approximately 30-40 years to get your remake of the HP film series going, I'd like to humbly submit that you cast Benedict Cumberbatch as Dumbledore and Emma Watson as McGonagall. :p

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Emma Watson as McGonagall would be an insult to Dame Maggie Smith's memory. [face_plain]

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's mostly true, though if he still looks like that at 55 that will be creepy :p

Cor you can submit that idea for the remake of my remake then ;)

Personally I feel like Freddie Highmore would have been a great Harry.

12. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    To be sure, that would be true of anyone replacing the dame. I just liked the symmetry of the idea, if nothing else. *shrugs*

It's okay, though, I'm pretty sure she didn't like my idea anyway, as evidenced by her completely ignoring my post. :p

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, the symmetry of the idea would be nice, if Emma Watson were a good actress.

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    She really wasn't the best Hermione (at least not after the first two films), but it's always hard to say whether that's the actor's fault or director's fault. (To this day I maintain Hayden is a better actor than Lucas allowed him to be in the prequels.) Maybe I'm just that confident in SJ's filmmaking abilities. :p

Truth be told, I haven't seen her in anything else yet to make a judgment about her acting abilities. I heard she was pretty good in that new Perks movie.

15. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    She worked with four different directors on eight films. She didn't convince me in any of them that she was a good actress. So yeah, I suppose it's her fault, really.

And I totally agree with you about Hayden. He was really good in "Life As A House".

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    In ten years or so, Stephen Fry as Dumbledore. Thx. Only man who could do it justice.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Michael Gambon was pretty good in HBP and DH.

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    To be sure, Yates (who directed the last four movies) really didn't bring out the best in the cast, as most performances just felt wooden. But that not withstanding, I see your point. ;)

Finally! Someone who agrees with me on this!

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    haha, good one.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  20. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    uh, who are you talking to? :confused:

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I didn't realise who you meant until I googled him ([face_blush]), but yes, I think that's a great shout.

22. PirateofRohan

PirateofRohan Jedi Master star 3

Dec 11, 2009
    Yep, I came to this thread purely to respond to this post. For an alternate or even young casting for the Marauders, as they have been in my head as such since I began PoA to present, after having loved the films, despite acknowledging flaws. James Potter is Aaron Johnson. I'll accept Robert Sheehan as an alternative, but it's my mental image. Sirius Black is Ben Barnes. He just is, no argument. Remus Lupin is Andrew Garfield, and Peter Pettigrew is Jamie Bell. Lily Evans is Amy Pond herself, Karen Gillan, not just because I couldn't think of anyone else who looks good with red hair. Well, okay, that may have been a contributing factor, but still. And yeah, I'm lost with a teen-ish Snivellus. Did that come out as creepy as it seems it did?

Rebel_Padawan and Mar17swgirl like this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I approve of your Marauders+Lily casting.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know if anyone else saw this "It Must Have Happened" video on Cracked, but I love it. Because absolutely everyone who's read Harry Potter has to have wondered why Slytherin was ever part of Hogwarts :p

NYCitygurl likes this.
  25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    But what we know about Slytherin from the canon? He was a parselmouth. That became a mark of evil later, and isn't that rational reason to accuse someone, considering that it's hereditary. He was a best mate with Gryffindor, but left the school over professional reasons. Mainly that he didn't want muggle-borns to be trained.

And why didn't he? Well, during those days (year 1000) muggles most likely didn't like witches and wizards. Before Hogwarts the magic folk in Britain could have been a very scattered folk, possibly without much central governance. The fear of muggles could have been strong because of their numbers. Makes sense that Slytherin didn't want to give out magic to potential enemies. But when the other founders overruled him, he made precautions before he left.

The Chamber of Secrets. The Basilisk. A simple way to fight muggles and muggle-borns if they ever attacked castle. That attack could have come in just decades, when his son or daughter could have been the Heir of Slytherin and unleashed the snake. No reason to tell the secret to any others, better to keep it in the family. And after a couple of generations the secret was forgotten. Voldemort had to find it out himself a millennium later. Would Salazar have approved his use of the snake after so much time of harmless muggle-borns? Well that's like asking if Shakespeare would have liked Harry Potter. No way to know what someone that far back would think of how things are today. Salazar would very well have been pleased.