main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is anyone else annoyed...

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fistofan1, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    ... with how the series has forgotten about characters that it set up in seasons one and two? I was going through some of the episodes today and I realized just how many there are. Luminara Unduli, Kit Fisto, Nute Gunray, Poggle the Lesser and Barriss Offee were all given significant roles and have since been forgotten about. Take Luminara for instance. She was given the personality of a dedicated, wise, somewhat arrogant Jedi Master with an obedient Padawan. One can only imagine the countless stories that could be told with her character alone. However, we haven't heard one word out of her mouth in years. Characters like Anakin are constantly analyzed and thrown into stories even though the audience knows everything it possibly can about them. It irks me that characters that are less developed aren't getting even a fraction of the attention the Big Three are getting.

What does everyone else think? If there a character from the early episodes of the series that you would like to make a comeback?

DavidIX likes this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'll admit that I enjoy watching the Big Three on screen. TCW is Anakin's best on-screen portrayal and I enjoy the dynamic he has with both his Master and his Padawan.

However, I do wish TCW would establish a more consistent secondary cast. Luminara and Barriss... I really want to see them again, they were so good in the Geonosis Arc.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Just looking at the Jedi alone, there are enough of them to pretty much give each one an episode to star in each and still make an entire season without any repeats. So I don't blame them for not wanting to make a habit out of going for round two with most of these characters and giving them all spot lights again. But I'd hope that they still might crop up in secondary roles or even just minor speaking roles outside of action scenes. Instead it just seemed like a lot of the background Jedi had their one shot in the spot light and then were forgotten about. And then it just gets worse when you take into consideration all of the non-Jedi.

Even if they just picked a handful of fan favorites or prominent characters like Plo Koon, Kit Fisto and Gunray to develop more would be welcome.

Instead of developing characters that we already have though, we get Gregor, Gascon and WAC.And before that a bunch of random younglings. I don't really have a problem with the Younglings as characters other than I felt 4 episodes was a little much and some of those episodes could have gone toward developing characters we already established.

Spend more time on fewer characters rather than exploring a whole bunch of characters, but as a result giving none of them adequate development.

4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Yes. There needs to be more Unduli, Fisto, and Secura. They should not just be showing up as background characters that sit, stand, or walk back and forth a few times.

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I'm going to see Aayla Secura, Tera Sinube, and the other Jedi in Secret Weapons as a positive note going forward. It gives me renewed hope for the series going forward. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to the Outer Rim Sieges is the background Jedi getting the spotlight.

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree with the original post. I'm pissed because Filoni has already said they're not going in this direction, but I think it'd be a great idea to have another Fisto episode, another Aayla Secura episode, et cetera. Maybe they will do that with the last season to solidify all the Ep. III connections. But I also enjoy new characters (loved the younglings) and Skywalker/Kenobi episodes because they always make me think of this:

[​IMG]

QuangoFett and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  7. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I sort of agree. Though I really do love the side characters, I feel as though they should only be used at this point to further the development of the Big Three. For instance, Barriss could still be used wonderfully as an antithesis to Ahsoka's wild side, but instead she's disappeared. Fisto could have soothed some of Anakin's passions or been a peacekeeper between Anakin and Ahsoka during the Water arc, but instead he was demoted to simple eye-candy. They could still have roles to play, but instead they're just gone. It's sad, especially given how much I LOVED Luminara.

Togruta, QuangoFett, FARK2005 and 4 others like this.
  8. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Aayla wasn't that interesting. Luminara and Barriss were awesome and need to return, pronto. Fisto has had a few chances to shine, I think he's due for another soon.

Make room for Master Oppo Rancisis in Season 6!

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to see more of Kit Fisto and more of Aayla; I really liked her in Jedi Crash and Defenders of Peace.

Luminara is OK but I wasn't that impressed. Barriss--I thought she was good in Brain Invaders when she was with Ahsoka, but I can't stand her scenes with Luminara, the whole "I can't pee without her permission" mentality gets on my nerves.

10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    LOL, didn't you know, peeing without permission IS AGAINST THE JEDI CODE! ;)

I can see what you mean, I do like them separately, Barriss is best as an Ahsoka super-friend... But I disagree heartily on Luminara, the animation model and voice make her really compelling.

The Shadow Emperor and Seerow like this.
  11. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Well, with Kit Fisto being my favourite character, I think he's had a pretty good run so far on TCW, having a main roles in an episode in season 1 and in an arc in season four, and I'm very pleased with how much he's been in TCW considering he only had a small role in the PT. Luminara has also had quite a good run so far, having main roles in an episode in season 1 and in an arc in season 2. But yes, I'd really like to see Kit Fisto and Luminara in more episodes. I definitely think Aayla needs to be in more episodes as a main character like she was in season 1. And I'd also like to see more of Barriss, Saesee, Eeth, Ki-Adi, Plo and even Mace Windu, because he needs to have a proper fight scene with one of the villains. As for the Separatists, Poggle the Lesser, Wat Tambor and Nute Gunray need to return after having such big roles in their arcs, and instead of introducing new Separatists, they should use these three again, because they're all really great characters. And I wanna see Commander Bly again too.

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Trouble is there are alot of characters fighting for screen time. TCW should get on with moving is plot lines and developing reoccuring characters in secondary roles. My problem as I've said many times with many of these minor PT characters is they have a similar problem to the big boys. They can be developed and all that but they don't add anything very unpredictable to the mix. I'm more of a proponent of reusing OCs like Terra Senube, Riyo Chuchi, even Bec Lawise. I'll take more Barriss, more Terra and yeah more Plo. What the hell, more Gunray. The ones more connected to plot strands in motion and the big characters who can further those characters.

13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I think this is what makes TCW so redeeming among a lot of star wars fans. He's such an amazing character and his arc has so much potential but Hayden's portrayal was so underwhelming it makes me sad. I honestly don't think it was his acting as much as GL's writing and direction; just consider the other amazing actors that look terrible in the PT. Liam Neeson is the only one that worked for me. Ewan McGregor was good for a lot but ROTS was disappointing.

I think Ahsoka's introduction was an outrage to most fans back in 2008 (including myself), but it has definitely helped develop his character better than the films and I think thats why so many fans have warmed up to her.

EDIT: Sorry if that was a little off-topic from the thread but i read it and wanted to vent.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm with you guys on TCW being great for filling holes we wished the PT would fill including a heroic "good guy" portrayal of Anakin Skywalker, but that doesn't make me enjoy Ahsoka. I don't hate her, but I don't like her either.

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Thats fair. I think its just one of those things...some people fall in love with her, but not everyone's tastes are the same. It just disappoints me when people hate on her just because they're purists and "Anakin's not supposed to have a Padawan!"

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I've grown to like Ahsoka (though I still think it's going to be "interesting" to fit her absence in with ROTS) - I was rewatching an earlier season episode and man, she jarred! Super-padawan to the rescue, Ms.-I-Can-Do-Anything-a Jedi Master-Can-Do-Better than the Master Can...

17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Count me in with the Annoyed crowd.

This video is short, but it kills me to listen to it... and hear the answer.

Let me set the mood. This is a series about a huge war that involves 1000s of people, the war goes through and more or less devastates everything in its path...
    This is a war with many heroes and many villains, this is a war that has a lot of Jedi involved. This is not the OT that had only Luke as a Jedi.
    We have Plo Koon, Kit Fisto, Barriss Offee, Luminara Unduli, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Mace Windu, YODA, K'Kruhk, Bultar Swan, A'Sharad Hett, the Dark Woman, Eeth Koth, Agen Kolar, Oppo Rancisis, Saessee Tiin, Shaak Ti, Roron Corrob, Volvif Moon, Aayla Secura, Quinlan Vos and COUNTLESS other Jedi that the show can focus on.

If the show had some brains it would actually focus more on these Jedi and not the hollow and stale main cast of 3 Jedi.
    Having a decent amount of episodes or arcs each season to each and every Jedi and developing them like in the comics would allow the show to live on for more than 200 episodes.
    Cause even if the setting is different and the enemies are different, when you start your every battle episode with Anakin and Rex and Kenobi around a Hologram projection of the battlefield - it becomes quite tiring and repetative.

I am quite annoyed that for 5 seasons, we have had 1 Yoda episode, 1 Kit Fisto episode, 1 Plo Koon episode and 1 Mace Windu episode... IT IS A SHAME! Simply shameful...

I am sure not the only one that feels that if Mon Calamari was done like Lair of Grievous and removed the lame main cast, it would have allowed Fisto to be explored better and have him more to do than just stay in shadows of Anakin's ego and Padme's idiocy.

That is why the comics could go on for so long and had many issues - they focused on different Jedi and heroes that allowed even similar events to feel different cause the POV was different.... the Hero is different.

When you have each episode have Ahsoka or Anakin as the main character, you tend to know and expect how they are going to react or how they are going to proceed.
    There has been no difference from Anakin's reactions on Geonosis or at Citadel or on Mon Calamari or on Umbara... it is always the same reaction. I know it is hard to build characters and make them different and unique, but Lucas and his team needs to be less lazy. I know they are doing the best they can, but they can do even better with what they have at they disposal.

I am not blaming Filoni, cause Lucas is the bum that is the control freak behind each failure of this show.

The show can be so diverse and unique if it allows itself more freedom to feel larger than life and not be trapped between three main characters that have a lot to do, but leave little impression.

18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Such a crappy answer. Basically,"you'll see the other Jedi....but only if they're supporting Anakin/Ahsoka/Obi-Wan".
    That's one sure-fire way to end any variety of the show. Also: we want standalone episodes, not "big story arcs". I'd take a single Lair of Grievous over an Onderon arc anyday.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    -shrugs- I'm not really annoyed by it anymore.

At this point I have to accept that TCW isn't what I was looking for when it comes to the Clone Wars. It's clear that the focus of the show is Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, with Padme and kiddie stuff sprinkled in. At this point in the show, it's really too late to change that.

Dave Filoni says that they don't have time to focus on background Jedi, but they have time to focus on R2 and the astromech gang, WAC, Gascon, Lux, mook troopers, C3PO, the Mon Cal Prince, Scooby Doo and the gang, Jar Jar, Riyo Chuchi, etc.

I would say it's unbelievable that they gave four episodes to D-Squad, but that's TCW.

If it were up to me, Anakin and Obi-Wan never would have been a focus of this show, they would have been relegated to background status, with the occasional cameo. They're already featured characters in six movies and countless EU media, I have no interest in seeing more of them.

20. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I would love to see more episodes about Jedi other than Skywalker and Kenobi.
    They did it in the first two season, why can't they do it now?

And yeah, I still hope someday writes an episode about Poggle the Lesser never arriving on Coruscant.

21. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    It's on-topic. ;)

I've always been a fan of Ep. II and Ep. III (hate Phantom Menace). The problem with what Lucas did was we caught Anakin in his lowest moments, so we never saw heroic Anakin. That's why I've always thought the prequels should have been: Episode I: Attack of the Clones, Episode II: The Clone Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

I was a fan who despised Ahsoka's inclusion originally but she's one of the reasons I come to this show now. Season 5 has had two entire 4-episode arcs focused on Ahsoka, which actually makes makes me somewhat worried for the finale. It feels like they're building up to something, giving her so much screen time.

I think this show can balance having the Big Three and other background (in the movies) Jedi.

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yep.

23. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm waiting to see these huge character and plot developments promised for multiple seasons...hasn't happened yet.

I am resigned to accepting what TCW is, a kids show with no focus on developing past characters or really giving us anything eye-opening in terms of the overall Star Wars story.

The sooner it ends, the sooner they can begin development of a grittier, more adult-themed show.

Darth__Syphilis likes this.
  24. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    To me, the Clone Wars was in Star Wars: Republic comics and in the novels. This stuff is like an in universe tv show for kids... making the republic seem like heroes

Darth__Syphilis likes this.
  25. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    And the war lasts 3 yrs with absolutely zero big Separatist victories...

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.