main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should Luke tell someone in Ep 7 events from 1 thru 6 resulting in a montage?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Force_Wielder, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Training montage, victory montage, Order 66 montage, that's ok. Flashback Montage, no just no.

That being said, Chances are Luke will just reference Mace Windu or someone or Leia will refer to Chancellor Valorum, showing knowledge of history. Because if they reference one thing then they probably know the rest. You have to think of it from a writer/director perspective. Chances are this film will be long, like 2.5-3 hours ish. Do you really want to stop the flow of the story and go back and rehash all that has happened before? No...

Even if they take a page out of the EU book and kill Chewie or Have Ben around with No MaMa Mara. It can easily be covered within one sentence taking up maybe 10 seconds of film...

Han looks at the bandolier drapped over the copilot seat. Leia walks up puts her hand on his shoulder, "you really miss him" (Same goes for Mara, except with maybe a picture of the family with Luke and Ben)

That being said, no flashbacks ever in star wars. You jump in the middle of the action and figure it out...

kainee likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would prefer that they stick with the "no flashbacks" rule. But I suppose this could be the one way it would work, I think it'd be an interesting way to tie things together-even showing images from the previous episodes...as a storytelling montage, I wouldn't mind it. [face_thinking]

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe they will have a flashback thing like they did with AOTC movie release where R2 and C-3PO spoke. The thing before the movie but with the Big 3 perhaps?

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    The In-Universe Documentary hosted by them? That might work but not as part of the movie, however I would like to see that... As a special feature on the DVD. History of Star Wars as told by Mark Hamill.

The Bops likes this.
  5. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    Just about every Rocky movie from III on had a musical flashback montage, and it worked for those movies! ;)
    j/k

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012

This thing

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I almost got mad before I saw the JK lol

MrFantastic74 likes this.
  8. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    No montages. Not needed. Other events can just be mentioned. No need to show them. Use that screen time for something else.

9. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I say yes because as others have said even Rocky had a montage! :p

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    As long as it isnt a flashback montage I don't care

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The same crack that you smoking that has made you totally ignorant of the EU .

12. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, "Two Towers" does start out with a flashback of sorts, admittedly not a flashback montage. And "Return of the King" does start out with a montage (the part where Smeagol morphs into Gollum) but admittedly not a recap montage.

I haven't seen the "Twilight" movies either (except for the first one), but I recently watched all four "Underworld" movies--that other vampires vs werewolves series--and they do use beginning recap montages there. The third movie (the prequel) even has a final montage so that it leads into the previous movies.

I completely agree. Recap montages really don't fit in the Star Wars aesthetic, and aren't necessary.

13. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    That's what the title crawl is for. George tends to start stories 'in media res', in the middle of things. We'll probably be dropped right into the middle of what has been developing for the past thirty years.

kataja and Count Yubnub like this.
  14. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Why? The fans don't need it. Kind of dull to have information only for the sake of new characters.

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I can see that it will be a new jumping point for new viewers across the globe, like somewhere doesn't recognize Darth Vader, but then again I know there are parts of the globe that Disney reaches that other Hollywood production companies do not. It will be good for people to enjoy Episode VII as a movie. But not at the expense of stopping to do a galactic history lesson for those who have not seen 1-6

16. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    I agree with most people here. There's absolutely no need for a re-cap montage in Episode VII. It would be totally pointless. Even my nephews, both of whom are into Star Wars, know the back story and they are about 25 years younger than me. So, what would be the point? I'm not averse to the odd reference to events or characters from previous episodes of the saga, but that's as far as it needs to go. Everybody in the cinema watching Episode VII will know what's going on and how it relates to Episodes I-VI.

kainee likes this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Alright, I got it.

The opening of VII will be a Rocky inspired training montage involving Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher getting back into shape for the roles. It won't even take place in the Star Wars galaxy, it will actually be the actors working out in our galaxy.

Survivor or Frank Stallone will provide the theme.

Can't wait to see Carrie down raw eggs, Mark and Billy Dee running on the beach....

Vid_The_Impaler likes this.
  18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't even want a between 6-7 recap. because those events don't even matter to the saga save for maybe kids being born

19. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    People seem to think that NO is the answer. I wasn't sure when I posed the question and I didn't really think about what montages have come before it. Maybe instead of scenes or flashbacks, we just have old Luke dreaming about Vader or Leia has a holo pictures of Padme on her wall or something like that. Now before you say how does Leia know who that is, its possible that all these years later Leia or even Luke looked up their parents and found something about them.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You could have a statue of Yoda or Obi Wan or Mace Windu in the New Jedi Temple. You could have a monument on Naboo (why go there again IDK) to Amidala. Ect... Gungan monument to Boss Binks (shutters)

Needless to say I think that a Clone Wars memorial or pictures would spell out, they knew more about the Clone Wars than they once did

21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I only want a montage if it's done "Benny Hill" style with mad saxophone music and sped-up footage of half-naked women being chased by an elderly Luke while Han and Leia provide some running gags.

22. JaimePrater

JaimePrater Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    In response to the original post.......NO!!!

23. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Precedent is everything in these movies, and if there's no precedent for such a montage, that's a fair clue right there that there shouldn't be one. There are precedents for what are called wipes, for instance, so yes, there should probably be wipes in the next films. There are precedents for ending montages that can sum up the endings for the audience (Episode III and Episode VI have the greatest examples of this), though yes, there could be such a thing in the new films (probably Episode IX if we're going according to patterns). But a catch-up montage? No precedent for it, unless you count the opening title crawls or the opening narration in Clone Wars episodes. And yet you seem to want something along those lines.

I guess in situations like this, I feel obliged to do what I've done with other lightly-controversial topics on this forum, and ask: why would you like to see one? We know why those who have said NO to a catch-up montage did so, because we've laid our arguments out. But what do you get out of seeing one, and why specifically do you feel it would enrich your viewing experience? Your answer is entirely up to you and is yours alone; I'm not seeking to interefere with that answer - I'm just trying to see your point of view in this. Is it just that you want to see footage or images of characters from the previous films in there? Or is there some larger reason? Whatever it is, I'm just curious, and I think it will help decide this issue.

24. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Yoda, is that you?

25. startravellerearth

startravellerearth Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2012
    How letting flashbacks do that throughout the movies. Kinda like Metal Gear Solid 4's flashbacks.