main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Now Guillermo Del Toro Confirms That He Turned Down Episode 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Krueger, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Heck, during the phase in Episode I's development when they were still coming up with the Jedi costume, the Concept Department came up with some AOTC art!

It's never too early to start concept.

2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Yeah, sometimes concept happens simultaneous to the script being written and then some of the ideas from concept end up in the script.

3. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I'd throw Chris Columbus' name in the hat. He is very good at remaining faithful to his source material, as evidenced by the first two Harry Potter films. He's also good at working in the proper "sense of the fantastic".

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't see that. Chris certainly can do "whimsical" affairs.

But he has never done any large action movies of any kind and seems to be settled into the family comedy genre while producing other projects.

5. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    He might need a little help with large-scale action set pieces, but that's something he could consult about. I'm more concerned with the ability to get tone and feel right, and I think Columbus does that well.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We don't need this to become another thread about who may actually direct the film. This thread is designated for absolutely non-information about the film. Because we only have several of those. Aside from knowing which directors aren't worth discussing because they will not have anything to do with the film we are discussing, I would like to take this opportunity to share some more highly discussion-worthy facts about Episode VII: I can guarantee that the film will not have a plot similar to The Human Centipede. Discuss.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Possible plot: Luke, Han, and Leia are kidnapped by an evil doctor, who...

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You can't guarantee that. [face_not_talking]

Anyway: please keep the discussion of possible directors to the relevant thread.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Del Toro has an interesting style, especially in creating the weird & wonderful. I'm sure his aliens & worlds would have been something to behold had he agreed to direct.

But going too dark can be an issue, Star Wars is still a family franchise and so does need to stick to wide-appeal content. Too intense and kids won't like it, too silly and adults will hate it.

I'm not sure if Del Toro would be able to strike the right balance

10. Maciste

Maciste Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2013
    I really hope that the upcomong movies will have a large number of bothans in them instead of just new aliens. They are a neglected species.

11. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I love Del Toro, no matter what kind of visual style he has. He would have been great for a SW movie.

I did found interesting that "The director also ruled out the possibility of helming any of the proposed/rumored spinoffs as well"

Are they already talking about "spinoffs" movies to some candidates ?

Are they that far down the road in the planning ?

It could have also meant that in that particular case, Del Toro wants nothing of SW since he has already 10 movies on his schedule.

Interesting time ahead, that's for sure.

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Disney's always been said to be planning more than just another trilogy. FWIW, I hope this pans out into the live-action series (main concern was money) and possibly one-off films set in the galaxy. How awesome would a 'Expanded Universe' of films be? We could watch it all on Netflix, too, given that they're going to be the priority destination for Disney films after 2016. :D

13. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    more than another trilogy, yes, but after the ST.....so we are talking about some pre-prod movies starting in 2017 at the earliest.

It's way down the road for any directors.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of spinoff movies at all. I'm pretty sure that in 10-15 years people will dream of a fourth trilogy, starring the offspring of the ST main characters.

I will be in the same place that I was after ROTJ was released. Dreaming of another trilogy with my old buddies (Han, Leia, Luke).

Never had that same sentiment with the prequels for obvious reasons.

But it's a pretty cool feeling, dreaming of what may have happened to the characters that you came to love.

Back then, I knew that I would not get another trilogy with those guys before 15-20 years.

I think that fans of the upcoming trilogy will be left with the same feeling.

And there is no better payback than having another go with characters that you love 15-20 years later.

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't know, I kinda feel that the Skywalker saga needs an ending, they shouldn't keep on taping into that arc into infinity. Now that Disney has the ability to go off on any narrative tangent, it doesn't make any sense other than a marketing gimmick. They can make entirely new movies(or even trilogies)with completely different characters, timelines, etc

Does anyone really care if the thing doesn't have numerical number attached to it? I don't. The original Star Wars came out without one. As long as the film has the opening crawl and the theme music...its Star Wars.

To me the Skywalker stuff is Lucas's character arcs and general themes he wanted to explore. I think when he dies, its better to leave that stuff alone. I don't care about Luke Skywalker's great great great great great great grandchildren.

I don't think Disney bought the franchise to be confined to a family lineage. They bought the thing for the galaxy that character live in, and the concepts that reside in it.

15. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000
    I personnally think it would be mistake to leave the Skywalkers behind and at least one or two of the billions spent by Disney were about the SKYWALKER BRAND.

I agree that you can leave the Skywalker for the spinofff movies, but for the main trilogies.....keep the Skywalker lineage.

For the moviegoers in general, a movie with the opening crawl and the theme music but with a "Raan Muckus or Daveed Starkiller" as the main characters will not be as powerful.

On this forum, you are preching to the believers.

Disney want the world at their feet.

They will make movies with Iron Man, Captain America and Thor until it stops printing money. If you want Avengers to be an event movie, you need the spinoff movies with Thor.

I'm telling you, spinoff movies without the Skywalker brand will have as much success as the new Judge Dredd or a Thor movie and they will make a SW movie "business as usual", when they are supposed to be special event movie.

And from a storytelling point of view, the Skywalkers are as important to cinama history than the Corleone, it would be foolish to not follow that path.

There's so much more stories that could be told with a Skywalker as the main character that I think we haven't scratch the surface yet.

As for the numerical thing, I care and I think that Disney as a chance to make movie history in having a mega franchise that will please to all and that doesn't repeat itself like an average Bond movie.

My 2 cents, of course.

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't really consider that Skywalker is a brand, per se. But some people may feel differently.

As far as, spinoffs goes and their success. We won't know until they actually start making them, its all speculation at this point. There is also a possibility that a spin off character/movie could be more popular/successful than a film in the "Skywalker saga". We will have to wait and see on that.

Its also ironic that you bring up the Corleone's. The Corleone's also had an ending to their narrative story.

I kinda don't like the idea of having every story numerically tied and all dealing with Skywalker lineage. Episode 57 doesn't really have a great ring to it imo. I don't think that is what makes Star Wars...Star Wars. At least, in my opinion.

I think they can make Star Wars films until the end of time. But they should probably be more "general" to which they are framed. Similar to how the original theatrical Star Wars didn't have a numerical number attached to it. The only people that are going to REALLY care are hard core fans. Even within that demographic your going to have mixed opinions.

17. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Dec 6, 2000

Coppola was interested in making a Godfather 4 with Leo Dicaprio as a young Santino and the coming in power of Andy Garcia's character.

But Puzo died and the plan with him.

There's always more story to tell for one family.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    L
    Lucas isn't going to live forever either.

19. Kev Snowmane

Jan 1, 2013
    The Skywalkers are not Star Wars, nor vice versa.

I'd be perfectly happy if there were no continuing characters in 7-9 from the first 2 trilogies.

20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I agree with you.

But the next trilogy is most expectantly going to deal with the Skywalkers.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Makes no sense to do 7-9 and not link it with 1-6, otherwise why call them 7-9 instead of a new seperate trilogy?

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah if Star Wars episode 7 came out and the main characters were "Skippy Antillies and Mon Mothma the 4th" and no Skywalkers or Solo's anywhere, I'd be miffed. Luke needs one more kick at the can as a Jedi Master.

23. jainasky

jainasky Jedi Master star 1

Jun 7, 2010
    I totally agree. If I were an actress or involved with films even though I adore SW I would refuse an offer to be in them. Some people's reactions are so over the top it's scary.

24. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Spielberg is out of Robopocalypse.

Would that mean he is joining the fray, after all?

25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I seriously doubt it. He has already said he doesn't want to do one. Course he could be doing Kennedy a personal favor and change his mind.

With that said, I kinda want to see a younger, more energetic director doing it. Spielberg is still "Old Guard."