main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Design your EU Reboot

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    So while I still cling to the hope that the EU won't need to be rebooted...
    Part of me wants to be prepared and decide how best to go about it.

This would be my master plan...
    • Rerelease the Thrawn Trilogy, 5 ABY... It would be a gesture of good faith to fans...
    • Leave the X Wing Series as is...
    • Write a new Jedi Order Origin Trilogy around 10 ABY. You could have fan favorites return such as Kyle, Corran, Clighal, and then add in a bunch of ST Jedi or PT species
    • Do not kill Chewie if they are going to use him
    • Do not even conceive Anakin
    That being said, I would rather see the current EU retcon to EP 7. All they really need is Jaina and Ben. Jag can be retconned into on a long mission to Chiss Space... If you need Chewie back have an entire Chewie returns books...

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Kick out France for the lulz (letting them back in after removing the CAP), move capital to Rome, make Elizabeth II Head of State and Neo-Roman Empress and English and Latin the only official languages.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    LOL, that means nothing to me... Perhaps I should clarify, Design your Expanded Universe Reboot

4. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I was going to post, but Ulicus has really said it all.

5. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    KC, I think you started this thread as a reaction to what I said in the New Novel thread. First, I'm glad that I was able to get you thinking about it. However, I don't think we could even think about how or what to reboot until we have, at a minimum, Ep7 specifics. Personally, I think that we'll see some EU in Ep7...in the form of names of places and characters. Those places and characters may or may not resemble what we know from the EU. Until stuff like that is known, we won't know what will be "overwritten" in the ST, so don't even waste the brain cycles trying to come up with something until we know much more about the ST. I do believe though that there are people *cough* Pablo *cough* that know the answers to these questions already...which means that probably several people in LucasBooks and possibly even Dark Horse already know. We've been told that they plan out books years in advance, so I'm sure they have been briefed already so that they can plan the media blitz for 2015. Just be patient a little longer...we'll hear something.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I am not spineless enough to do reboot, how ever LFL is since they already reboot the Clone Wars.

8. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    IMO, if VII isn't consistent with the EU, they'll just leave some of the better-received works (X-Wing, Thrawn Trilogy), and publish some new novels showing how it differs later on.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Keep everything from DOTJ through YJK. Have a series about a Unknown Regions threat with hints of the Vong in place of the NJO. The NJO will be placed later in the timeline and get rid of the DNT/LOTF/MF/FOTJ. After the Big 3 are out of the picture. Keep certain aspects but not everything. Keep Legacy comics but make changes to the characters that need it.

10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    As most of us, I don't like the idea of a reboot and I certainly couldn't figure out how to do it without contrived stuff or horrid time-traveling stuff. However, from what could be considered a business-oriented POV, I would leave things exactly as they are:

* Ep VII and it's related materials will all be "film canon". The Disney-era SW is highly unlikely to be accompanied by hardback, adult-oriented novels, more like pulp, young-reader novels, made up of mostly irrelevant, self-contained adventures.
    * The current EU will continue, unaffected and not considering what happens in those movies and literature. In a way, like the original-run Marvel comics vs. the Ultimate line and the movies+movie-related material.

LFL continues making money out of the two fronts without injuring anyone. This way, both continuities will be considered alternate to both fronts. The status-quo won't alienate anybody, even if the two "factions" consider the other as not being "real".

11. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    I won't be long :

- Erase what happened after NJO with the exception of the Legacy comics.
    - Reduce the number of Jedis who survived Order 66 to ten as a max.
    - Erase Karpyshyn's Bane trilogy and put Jedi vs Sith at its proper place

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Also get rid of the 08 to present Clone Wars series
    Get rid of The Force Unleashed 1 and 2
    Get rid of OJO in Legacy comics. Tr'a Saa, K'Khruk and Hett. Make Jedi Council be descendants of actual NJO Jedi and have the son or daughter if not grandchild of Hett be the main enemy

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I still don't want the reboot, but if I had to I will try to keep the things I love about the EU...

14. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Tra Saa is different... but K'krukk could be K'khurk 2 or 3.... ;)

15. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Actually use Leia to her full potential as a Jedi instead of nerfing her abilities.

Tinwe, cthugha and Skywalker2B like this.
  16. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I don't really *want* a reboot either, but I've come to accept that it's going to happen. Either that, or LFL will abandon their single continuity *commitment* (and I use that term lightly) and go the route of Star Trek novels/comics. I REALLY don't want that to happen, and I think they know that SW fans wouldn't like it either, so that's why I'm putting my money on a reboot.

That being said, I'm not gonna say "drop this book/series", but what I'd like to see happen is, once Ep7 hits, for them to go back and start right after RotJ and build the story up into the ST...and then go on from there. What *I'd like to see* is for them to follow more of what GL set up with RotJ. Luke trains Leia with the help of ghost OB1, Yoda, and Anakin. Then they rebuild the jedi order. To me, that would be the main part of the story. The other parts would be the continued struggle to rebuild the Republic. I'd love to see them keep some of the characters that we have in the EU, but perhaps with altered backgrounds or something. OH, and I'd like to see Luke have a family earlier, and maybe even have more than one or two kids. I think it'd be cool if Leia starts having kids and Luke has his first shortly after her, then they get in sort of a competition to have more kids before the other sibling. I'd like to see Luke and Leia develop a sibling relationship sooner. stuff like that.

17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, two reasons I don't see that happening... One is that the 7 years after RotJ are so loved with Thrawn and X Wing... You could probably do a book or trilogy to replace Truce at Bakara, to kind of direct the Luke and Leia to show signs of RotJ to Ep 7.

That being said, EU fans, the ones that like to read beyond the films, aren't going to want to reread 10 ABY-Until when the EP 7 occurs. We will all want to read about characters we have never seen before either about the new villain or about the new Jedi or whomever. Fans will want more set around the ST than backstory that may have been destoryed. All the more reason NOT to destroy the EU backstory...

18. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Remove everything but ANH and ESB, and start over from there.

The end.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Not even RotJ? Is that EU too?

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    RotJ is rebel fanon, obviously, written by that ahistorical revisionist propagandist, Voren Na'al.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Well history is written by the VICTOR

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I keep thinking this thread is "Design your EU Robot".

That would be way more exciting. :p

23. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What would your EU Robot be?

24. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I want a Squib robot, so I can beat the **** out of it day in and day out. It would soothe me.

25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    If they want to do a reboot, they shouldn't keep anything. Not TTT, not the NJO, not TotJ or Legacy, and definitely not anything as profitable as KOTOR or TOR. Just start with the OT, PT, and TCW (since I guess they'd have to) and go from there. Darth Bane can stay, since he's a Lucas creation, but he'd be a completely different character. The Sith would have started with Darth Ruin (or whatever his new name would be), so they'd have to come up with a new villain if they wanted to do stories before that. There are also no more Sith after RotJ. The Emperor doesn't come back to life, Luke doesn't get married. There's no Mara Jade, Thrawn, Pellaeon, Corran Horn, Kyp Durron, Jacen, Jaina, no backstory with the Celestials and the Rakata and Xim, and definitely no Anakin Solo (how confusing would that be?). Since it's a reboot, they should also bring in some fresh writing voices, so no more books by Stover, Luceno, Allston, Kemp, or the rest. Once the Rebooted Universe is established, maybe they can start bringing back some of the old timers, just as long as they make clear to them that this is a completely new universe and they're not allowed to reuse their old characters or retell old stories. The Republic would be only 1,000 years old, no Jedi can have a lightsaber that's not blue or green, Boba Fett dies in the Sarlacc, and Greedo shoots first and misses because he's like 70 years old, apparently. Also, the Empire is defeated at the end of ROTJ, so new villains are needed after that. Not the Ssi-ruuk, though, because they don't exist anymore.