main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    I like evil dark-side Kyp. :D Bring him out to play, please. [face_mischief]

Ceillean likes this.
  2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Damn, and I thought Obamacare was going to be a good thing. Losing your job and still not getting healthcare? That just sucks. :(

Although, it reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons when Mr Burns cancelled dental insurance. Everyone protested until he reinstated it for full time workers, and then he made everyone freelance so they still didn't get it.

Oh, and you know what's exciting? When a kickstarter you're super excited about gets funded in a day and reaches the first stretch goal the next day! [face_dancing]

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I didn't get the flu shot until I started working in a hospital where exposure increases exponentially. Most hospitals around here now have pretty much mandated the flu shot. They can't exactly do that, but they can make your life miserable if you don't do it. Luckily, I too, have never had the flu *knocks on wood*.

One thing I think people forget is that a lot of people die every year from the flu every year (mostly the young, the old and the chronically ill). The CDC can't put an exact number on it because the flu isn't a reportable illness but an average estimate of around 36,000 people die in the US from the flu and complications of it. It's much more serious than people give it credit for.

My muse was not kind to me this last year, but I think she might finally be deciding to cooperate. :) We shall see if it lasts, but I really hope so!

4. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Just gotta explain that a little... the problem isn't so much the charge, it's that it's an interim measure which will lead into the property tax. That's going to be higher, and unfair because the same rate applies to everyone. And everyone knows it's just more money into the pockets of the TDs. Same as why people get upset about the budget every year. This year the budget didn't affect TDs' salaries at all while carers' grants and child benefit payments were cut by 19% and 7%. They've cut education funding by a huge amount over the past three years, too. When you read stuff like this you can see why people see the extra taxes and charges as just more money for the government's pockets.

But I agree that the health system is pretty screwed-up here too. Doctors and nurses are overworked and underpaid. But our lovely representatives are too concerned with their own salaries and benefits to worry about that too much.

5. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Hear hear! The move, and then the Chopping of the Fics, kind of put me off writing and posting fanfic for a while. My muse is back now though, at least for the time being.

To a productive 2013! *cheers* [face_coffee] (I think coffee is more fitting than alcohol for writers, anyway)

6. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    We need a fanfic memorial day. In commemoration of the Chopping of the Fics... the Great Truncation Tragedy of 2012.
    *bows head*@};-

Iverna and Ceillean like this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    2012 will forever be lost to TEH MOVE! But I really hope that 2013 goes a lot better for everyone. My muse has switched gears a bit, but I'm hoping to still be able to hang around here.

I used to get the flu shot, but every year I did I would get the flu, so I stopped getting it a few years back and I haven't gotten the flu since.

So last night was one of those nights where I just could not fall asleep. Around 5 am I just kinda gave up trying. I hear no sleep is better for some people than just one or two hours, so I'd thought I'd give it a try. I have three back to back classes today totalling 4 and 1/2 hours. We shall see how far I make it until I break down crying over a paper cut.

8. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Isn't that kind of the point when you get the flu shot? When you get vaccinated, you actually get the symptoms? I'm not sure if that's true, though. Hearsay.

I like this. The Truncation Tragedy...now if we only had a date. :p

So...I took a stroll through a grown-ups store today. [face_mischief] What fun...and wow. My muse started YELLING at me, I swear. :D

Iverna likes this.
  9. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    It's true. I experienced it, only the symptoms are relatively mild. I had the full-blown flu once many years ago, and it took me a week to recuperate. When I get the flu shot (except the past year for some reason, which makes me wonder how effective it was and is making me worried I'll get the full blown version) I get much milder symptoms and am out for a day. The symptoms are body aches and a mild fever (99.8 F) as opposed to body aches, high fever (100+ F), difficulty breathing, etc.

I think the whole of 2012 should suffice. [face_laugh]

So, your muse likes it naughty. LOL It's always fun to write something naughty in a manner that will pass the boards' no-no factor... especially if you have the really naughty stuff if someone should ask for the less tame stuff. [face_tee_hee]

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Because they basically inject you with a small bit of the virus so you can build up anti-bodies against it, it is expected that you get some mild symtoms, but whenever I got the flu shot, I'd be really sick for weeks.

Iverna likes this.
  11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Yep. :D And it's really fun writing naughty stuff but I have trouble with certain characters. Writing Kyp isn't a problem at all, no matter what circumstance or situation. I love writing him evil, I love writing him average and funny and I really enjoy writing him naughty too. For obvious reasons. :p

But Luke? Can't see him being naughty. Mara on the other hand? Definitely.
    Jag, Jaina, Han, Leia...urgh. Complicated characters.

12. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I think the trouble with some vaccines is that they're basically a really mild form of the illness, which is injected so you build up antibodies, and then you won't get the actual illness. But if you're a little under the weather when you get the vaccine or your body isn't able to create enough antibodies for some reason, then you can end up just getting the illness from the vaccine. Or some of the symptoms, but that varies from person to person. That's why you shouldn't get shots when you're run-down or recovering from something or malnourished or whatever. And some people are just more prone to illness or just more sensitive than others, in general.

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I figure there are two sides to just about every person in the universe. There is their public self and then there is their private self. If Luke is the stoic Jedi Master I don't see why he can't be a wildman behind closed doors. Heck, he and Mara could have some Master/slave thing going on while they are alone in the bedroom. I can always picture Luke as naughty...except with Callista. With those two I try to convince myself that the two simply meditated and went to bed to sleep when they were dating. No bootknocking there...no sir, no way. o_O

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    We really do. That's a great idea. According to this, it should be September 2. Save the date! We can celebrate with stories about chopping things off, which as luck would have it happens quite a lot in SW!

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    There are two types of vaccines. There are vaccines that are dead or modified. The dead ones shouldn't hurt you, supposedly...if they are really dead. I don't know about quality control for some pharmacutical companies. The modified ones are supposedly made so their disease causing ability is no longer there. I really don't trust live vaccines because what if it didn't modify all the bacteria or virus particles? I need to get the vaccine for menagitis though...only because I always think I have the disease, but I never do. I have sinus infections and my neck is always sore, so I get the head and neck pain and think I am infected. I guess I should get a flu shot, but it seems I only get the flu when I get the flu shot.

16. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Well I can report that thus far, 18-ish hours post-vaccination, I do not have any flu symptoms. Just an achy upper arm. :p

(though I definitely had the dead vaccine, not the live-virus)

17. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Good to hear, Lexi! By the way, I love your avatar, it made me chuckle. Truth!

I don't think I've ever had a flu shot. Maybe when I was little. But I haven't had any vaccinations in yonks. I got all the major ones when I was little, but I've slacked off on it all since then.

18. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    As long as we're talking about illnesses, I got mono for Christmas. Yay. :p

I'm not usually a fan of Dark Luke, except in certain fics. *cough* Son of Suns *cough*

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Fuuun... I masochistically decided that I should watch Fawlty Towers on my sick day. I keep telling people to not make me laugh and then do that. I'm a moron.

20. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I've rarely read a story where I liked Dark Luke. Is there a link?
    I pretty much enjoy making the good guys go bad. You get to play with the characters and dig up that evil side. And we all have a dark side, just depends on what happens. Even the mightiest Jedi can fall, given the right circumstances.

21. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    The trilogy is on FFN. I can't get the link right now, because I'm at work and they block FFN. The author's name is blank101. It's really long but really good. I usually don't like Dark Luke, either, but this story nails him perfectly.

I'm going to attempt to write gray Luke later on this year. That should be fun.

22. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Never had a flu shot either but I never had had the flu too. I have a lot of strong anti-bodies just like my mom and dad.
    For working as a firefighter I had shots for hepatitis A and B and am now immune for the rest of my life.
    And now I am a retired firefighter.

24. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    My husband got all kinds of fun vaccinations for military purposes- anthrax and smallpox (cowpox, anyway...I think). The things we mere mortals are denied...:p

I first read that as 'gay Luke.' Just a fun fact.
    I like gray-area characters. I find them to be all sorts of fun to write... sort of an added mystery of motivation.

25. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    That's the first one, yes!

Edit: Lexi - LOL! That is one thing I could never do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.