main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books New Novel! Maul: Lockdown by Joe Schreiber

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    No, I'm not an EU hater...quite the opposite. We've already discussed in other threads that I'm a huge Horn family fan. However, based on what we've heard from official sources thus far, and what we're seeing from Dark Horse (new Star Wars series that *reboots* anything that previously followed ANH) and even Del Rey (their upcoming Rebels books possibly), I believe that we will eventually see an EU reboot of at least the post-RotJ stuff. And even when you consider some of the books and comics that are set any time before RotJ that have characters, places, and such that link to the post-RotJ EU we may even have to ret-con either those whole books/comics or just bits and pieces of those stories. But, even with all of this, I think of it like this. Will I miss this current EU storyline? Yes; but the opportunities for new characters and stories that will mesh with the upcoming ST, and any other movies/tv shows we may get from Disney, are pretty cool. I can either get all upset over losing the current EU, or be thankful that we even had it to begin with and enjoy the new stuff coming our way. I'm sure you can see which choice I have made.

2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    This is true and if indeed the case I will probably join you on that boat. But I will continue pushing for the EU as it is until obvious that it isn't going to jive. That being said I want Kyle and Corran to live into the new EU. Even if Corran has to give up marriage or whatever, I feel like the two of them would be good additions to Luke's story...

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Because he's ignoring the rest of this thread.

4. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    I read through the whole thread before I posted. I wasn't ignoring what came before, just putting out another possibility. At this point, it is all speculation, so why limit ourselves to only previously signed authors and books that have already been discussed? It's all in fun. Stir the pot, rattle the cage, etc.

5. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    True enough, but let's not patent a "Jump to Conclusions" mat, just yet...

DarthApprentice likes this.
  6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Please no, they can be in it, but don't make them star. I think with them getting Crucible, Jaina getting SotJ, Ben should get at least a book to himself

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, sure, but I was referring to the fact that they specifically confirmed it wasn't VII-related . :p

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And no way they would already announce a novel that's been affected by Del Rey getting inside information about VII. The book they are going to announce will be released this year, and so most of it is written already.

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Most likely true.

11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Whatever this is, it's good to see that the EU ("old" or not) is still a very vibrant place... new announcements and interesting directions all over the place, no sense of panicked pre-VII stagnation at all. I like it :)

12. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Perhaps I just interpreted what Jen said differently. ;) But, you're probably right, this book is probably not the reboot book. But, I do expect one once we know more about the story in the ST. That could not be until the Ep7 is released, or it could be before. It's gonna really stink if they keep us in the dark about it until the film is released. It'll be 2 more years of wondering what'll happen to the EU...but still enjoying it while we have it.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    This is true, I think we should know for sure by the time of Christmas 2014. The trailer will come out, not a teaser trailer which will probably hit Summer 2014, which will probably just be lightsabers and maybe the original 3 with Star Wars music. The actual trailer will let us see new character be they Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker or some other form of Skywalker-Solo child. Safe to say though, that the Skywalker Solo lineage will carry on the cast

14. Jedi_Glover

Jedi_Glover Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Maybe a book continuing Vestras story after she left with ship to go meet the one sith. I know that might have been more of Goldens thing, but just throwing out something.

15. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    At this point, I don't think it's safe to say anything about the ST other than Michael Arndt is writing the script for Ep7 and that it "should" release in 2015. Everything else is speculation. While it's fun to speculate, let's remember that it's just that...speculation...a guess. At this point it's not even hypothesis (an educated guess) because we don't have enough to go on.

16. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Kind of hoping this is IC2 by Stover just so when I get to RC/IC I can get a full storyline. Otherwise, I'd really like a post-FotJ Ben Skywalker novel, or Zahn's Ben Skywalker/Thrawn book he has mentioned he has wanted to write before, but with Scoundrels just out, I doubt that is it. Would be really nice to see a Count Dooku book by Luceno. Maybe an X-wing: Mercy Killl sequel by Aaron Allston?

Overall, though, my money is on IC2. I wish we had an announcement date similar to how they announced Pokemon X and Y, with people at least having a date available...

17. Heat

Heat Jedi Master star 1

Apr 5, 2006
    That's a great summary of current things. I would definitely like a Shadow Games sequel, a Death Troopers sequel, and the Blood Oath novel to happen.

But I think the novel will be by Allston (another X-wing book) or Luceno (Plagueis II).

When will we know for sure?

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You're probably right as far as the general plot of the movie is concerned, but I think we'll have a pretty good idea of the EU's fate within 3-6 months.

I'll even tell you how the news will arrive: "______________ cast as _______ Skywalker".

19. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    One could only hope it would include Vestara. The ending of FOTJ left too many loose ends, and hers was the most glaring. If she is not in SOTJ, then hopefully this or any upcoming books.

20. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    To all you who thinks it's Blood Oath: Not gonna happen. The novel was discussed officially once, so it is not possible.

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's possible, since they had cancelled Darth Plagueis at one point too.

22. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    But, the very news say that this has never been spoken about. So, while it may happen one day, it is not this particular book.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If nothing else, this will be an insight into what's going through their minds, whether it's directly related to the ST or not.

Crucible, SOTJ and any new Old Republic books? Sure. They've either already been scheduled in, or won't be affected.

But Del Rey aren't stupid. They know that they'll lose sales if there's a reboot, so apart from the ones already announced any other new books will be set in the safe earlier eras unless the future of the EU is solid enough that it won't become a white elephant.

That's why I'm still leaning toward either a "not as unannounced as the hyperbole suggests" announcement like Kemp or Stover, or else it'll probably just be another TCW or 1313 tie-in or something. But if it is Post-ROTJ, Del Rey are either playing with fire and risking making a loss, or else they know something we don't.

Reaper63 and cthugha like this.
  24. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Elaine Cunningham never finished Blood Oath. That was the main issue. Lucasfilm rejected the completed Plagueis IIRC.

25. GrumpyGreg

GrumpyGreg Jedi Knight

May 27, 2011
    SotJ would be the logical choice. She's golden's pet, the book features two of the three characters she spent the most time with - the third one being busy passing the torch. The scene's set for some juicy conflict.
    Unless of course we get an avalanche of Ben and/or Jaina novels, which I just don't see happening since the long series format is officially ditched.

Somehow I still get the feeling that Del Rey is rushing things to make the most out of the remaining time to 7. And somehow I don't like what that feeling implies.