main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC What does it take for you to rat on your neighbor

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Posting awful advice threads to JCC.

Ender_Sai and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I have zero relationship with my neighbors, I don't know their names and literally have never said anything to any of them. I don't think I care enough about any of them to intervene, but it may be harder than I think to ignore someone so close who really needs help.

I don't approve of slangin' in my hood, but as long as it doesn't get out of control I'd probably stay out of it.

I wouldn't get involved in child abuse unless I thought the kid was taking a real beating. I probably wouldn't get involved with spousal abuse at all. This is definitely something that might be too painful to ignore.

I don't care about making noise unless it's really out of control and disruptive. I'll never care about parking spaces.

Yeah, if I actually suspected murder, I'd drop a dime.

I usually stay out of their business and I expect the same.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    For real?

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    my thoughts on this subject are well known:

[​IMG]

5. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Fo real.

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Okay, Riley Freeman.....

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Any breaking of the law or any other regulations that are in place. It helps that my unofficial position at my old dorm was 'Dorm Gestapo'

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I approve but I don't understand. I just can't keep up with the slang the kids are using these days.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    [​IMG]

Ender_Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Whilst I know your beliefs will be conflicted by the following, I feel compelled to advise you this was not a term of affection.

GenAntilles likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I would never, ever unleash a rat infestation on my neighbor. What kind of jerk does that?

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I lived across the street from a drug dealer once. I'm pretty sure it was just soft drugs, mostly pot. I never ratted on him. Whatever.

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't have a very specific answer but anything that put my wife and son in danger I wouldn't want going on next door to me. I had a downstairs neighbor at my last apartment that would beat his wife all the time. I called the cops several times. One night I came home from work and he was beating her on the front steps. They were gone the next day after that one.

14. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    One time poor beezel could not sleep because some foreign woman was screaming in unAmerican jibberish whilst being choke-slammed by her husband. We collectively classified the incident as noise pollution.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    If Beezel was my neighbor, I would definitely rat on him.

TheModFavorite likes this.
  17. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    Being a butthead.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Called the cops in relation to a neighbor about 45 minutes ago. Lady of the house had gone out and the burglar alarm starting going off about 15 minutes or so later. I knew no one was home so after making sure what house it was I let the cops know in case someone had broken in. Turns out the cops won't even check it out unless there's signs of forced entry. I looked as much as I could considering the fence between our building and the house but didn't see any signs of broken windows or forced doors.

Otherwise I operate on 'live and let live'. The neighbors in the other flats in the building are pretty quiet so no problems there.

19. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    When I lived in the projects we had a drug dealer next store. He was a good guy, never did anything wrong and actually dealt drugs the next city over. He helped my mom out and was a great guy. Honestly, I can tolerate practically anyone as long as they are a good neighbor. Its surprising how much a person can get away with if they are a good guy. Yet play loud music and have parties and disturb the neighbors and expect nothing in return.

And honestly, why do abusers continue to hit their spouses when there are witnesses around?

20. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
  21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Update to my earlier post - lady of the house came home and I went over and told her about the alarm. She thanked me and said she'd known it had gone off because of the lights. Said it had been caused by her daughter's helium balloon migrating from the daughter's bedroom downstairs into the kitchen where it set off a sensor.

That definitely would not have been my first guess!

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Because most are arrogant enough to believe that nobody will call the cops on them figuring that most will have the "live and let be" attitude. And sadly, most times, their right.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I would report my neighbors if they were communists handing out them there communist literature.

CT-867-5309, Arawn_Fenn and Rogue_Ten like this.
  24. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I would recommend not ratting on drug dealers, lest you find yourself in a world of pain. I would be surprised if you ratted on one and there were no repercussions towards you, honestly. Also, as someone surrounded by such people, I wouldn't even be concerned with what they do. Because they're going to do it either way even if they get busted. But more than likely they're going to die in a ditch. So just let nature take its course.

25. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    That is the thing, drug dealers know who you are and what you have seen. If they are nice to you and none of their customers rob you and your stuff then they are in the clear. Most people let the police deal with it. If it doesn't affect them then they don't care. Dealers know that if they are causing trouble and pissing the neighbors off its only a matter of time. Moonshiners share some of their proceeds with the neighbors so they have no need to rat.