main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I can think of something cooler: Cloaking a planet with the Force!

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Luke's battles with Abeloth highlighted this, considering she is a dozen times more powerful than even Luke yet the Grand Master usually ended up with the upper hand. Luke has been shown in battles that he doesn't succeed by power alone but with skill as well, he has a great two hit combo :p

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, but there's how many hundreds of pages of dross in FOTJ before I get to the good stuff?

4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    nah mind over matter is where it's at ;) I was disappointed that DE didn't show Luke Force cushioning the Liberator :_| wasn't the cloak what he and a bunch of jedi students conjure up ?

5. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Probably because George Lucas pretty much said that Luke WAS the most powerful. In an interview Lucas said that Anakin Skywalker was supposed to be far more powerful than the Emperor, but after his fight with Obi-wan he lost a lot of his potential. Lucas said that Luke could become what Anakin couldn't, which means Luke could be far more powerful than the Emperor. Now, did we see this in the films? Of course not. Luke was just a brand new Jedi with a very small amount of Jedi training at that point. But Luke has learned much and grown much in the Force since then. I would say that he is now supposed to be very powerful. Sadly, we don't often get to see Luke "unleashed" and using his full Force potential in the books. But that doesn't mean he isn't powerful. I would actually like to see Luke show more of his power in the Force and some creative uses of the Force too.

amen!!!!

as far as the force getting rid of toxins , we do see examples of this. Mara did it when she was hit with an amphistaff. Jacen did it on hugely magnified level against Omni.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Mind over matter IS cloaking a planet! You're hiding a huge amount of mass from a huge amount of sensors without affecting any of the lifeforms on it!

Re: DE, Luke's SD feat - it's likely it was an innovation of the audio adaptation!

7. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    what was that line by Kol..we take what is given:p Admittedly FotJ has a great many issues, skip it. although I am a little surprised that you don't like Luke being the most powerful jedi. We hardly get to see him demonstrate those powers with the current books and it's more his skill with it than his raw power that defeats his enemies, although he has those moments.

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ok I prefer mind moving matter :p but like I said it wasn't solely Luke who perform it right ?

it was, Lando made the comment that comment that he knew no one should have been able to survive that crash but once he saw Luke crushed the AT-AT with telekinesis he implies that Luke did that to save the ship

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In the scenario, I'm envisaging, yeah, Luke is doing it solo!

10. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    ah I see, I forget which NJO book that the jedi cloak Yavin, but I always thought that it was group of jedi not just Luke....I do remember he cloak an entire cruiser with the Force.

Personally the mention of Luke ripping a fleet apart with his mind(SotP) should be scene we need to witness visually.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If that was to be done, it'd have to be done smartly. As it could easily end up as Luke engaging in mass murder!

Invasion fleet arrives, Luke warns them off, they send a vanguard forward - the shields get ripped apart and the systems go down to critical, second warning is given, then one ship gets destroyed, its pilots going EVA, a crusier then suffers the same fate, with its systems being shredded, they get the hint and leg it.

Cue massive arms race to build fleets capable of overwhelming Jedi, while packed with cloned ysalamiri!

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  12. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    or Luke could telekinetically disabled them and forcingly(no pun intended) ground them with no casualties, both options see a way for his character to shine through and maintain his morals.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, Luke punching through an ysalamiri shield? Could be cool.

14. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    he punch a hole through a Force god, so anything is possible when it comes to Luke :p

15. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    ChildOfWinds Here the link to second part of that denning interview. Also, a quote that I at least find very interesting:

http://fangirlblog.com/interviews/troy-denning-part-two/
    I SO agree. That powerting is kinda nice- but also very secondary!!!

Thanks! In need of a severe up date, though :)

Why? What's wrong with Gretschen-style? [face_laugh]Stout, germanic farmbreed...

16. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well I'm glad to hear that the authors aren't in fact the bloodthirsty ones at least when it came to Denning. Me thinks the editors need the boot, especially to kill off Mara in a way that made no logical sense to her character or to the plot:_|

but he has......UNLIMITED POWER!!!![face_devil]

what you have in mind ?

the fact that Mara has no eyes bothers me o_O

17. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja:
    I think it's really fun. I like that Luke and Mara pretty much had two weddings too. I remember though that I wasn't terribly thrilled with part of the vows in which it was mentioned that Mara tried to kill Luke. I just thought that was kind of tacky and unnecessary. But mostly, I loved it!

I think it was good too. Every organization needs a leader to direct it; to coordinate activities; and to be sure no one goes rogue. There need to be some rules and some parameters, and as the guy who restored the order; has the most experience; and is the most respected of the group, who better than Luke to be that head of the Order?

MasterSkywalker86:
    I definitely agree about this.

I really never understood why Leia would have a problem with this. It makes no sense to me. Why shouldn't Luke lead the Order he founded????

Yes! And I also agree that Del Rey *has* abused the "kill the character event" far too much! And sadly, they haven't created all that many memorable characters to take their places either.

I don't like when authors do that to Luke.

I can agree with that. Jacen was certainly drastically changed by the authors, and even worse, he was killed off when he was at his worst. At least they haven't done that to Luke.... at least, not yet.

Nobody145:
    EXACTLY!

I like a little sappy now and then! ;)

And like you, I hate when we get dark or cliffhanger endings.... or no true endings at all.

I don't know, N. I think they're planning to have Jaina take over Luke's role... not Ben.

Yes, I wish that the authors would portray Luke's Order as more successful and more competent. That would reflect well on Luke too.

kataja:
    I will admit that I do like what Ben is thinking about his father here.

Maybe... But since I didn't care for Luke's role in Apocalypse as he didn't seem to truly accomplish anything, and since I didn't like that he gave Luke that terrible injury, I can't say that I'm happy with Denning's latest venture into the SW universe.

And I'm annoyed that it appears that Crucible will be a "Han-driven" book, as Denning seems to say. Scoundrels seems to also be a "Han-driven"book. It looks like Luke may end up being a supporting character again. :( I disagree with Denning that we get a lot of Luke-driven books.

MasterSkywalker86:
    She does indeed seem jealous. Who is that with Luke?

I certainly hope that we'll be able to see Luke portrayed as amazingly powerful again. After his injury in Apocalypse, I don't know if we'll ever get to see Luke unleashed again. :mad:

Yes!

Thankfully!

Wasn't there that guy though who decided to sort of switch sides? I thought he was the one who helped Luke. I could very well be wrong though. But why would Luke give a "thumb's up"? Wouldn't he just raise his hand or something? Usually, you give a thumb's up as an acknowledgement to someone else, don't you?

More tomorrow....

18. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    apparently only Leia can lead anything :rolleyes: she even realizes she was wrong but of course they brought this moment out of "drama"

thank God there will be films made that we don't have to rest our entire hope on the books alone.

Callista

me too in both film, animation, and literature.

that was Banner, but there was no one visible for for Luke to give a thumbs up to when the alien attacker went down. The thumbs up seem to be a gesture that Luke was applying the Force. Kataja backs me up who just recently who recently view it.

19. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    So, after reading Denning's inteview, I am a little less hacked of at the guy, but I still am keeping my ire for LFL. Didn't I read somewhere that the outline of everything after NJO was basically Denning's idea? Or am I just 'mis-remembering' things? (Always fun to use a Bush-ism).

20. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I think it is obvious now that Authors do not get as much freedom as we thought. Maybe we should be ticked off at Del Rey instead.

kataja likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Can't really go with that, the author knows what they're signing up to do.

I'd place the bulk of the credit/blame with Denning but there's also Traviss' toxic attitude to factor in as well.

22. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    No, that is the one part of the interview I fully believe happened; I have read other authors talk about dealing with LFL where they are told nothing about the story until after they've signed a contract. Some of the rest of it reads a bit like revisionist history.

kataja likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In which case, that's quite crazy but explains a lot!

24. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I think Del-Rey's editors need the boot if they're the ones who are responsible for the major plot ideas. Remember when fans were actually looking forward to seeing Luke and the rest in the Legacy era cause I don't, and due to most of the lackluster stories a decent number of fans don't want to read about the big 3 at all :rolleyes: That's a very bad sign when people are burnt out by one of your better selling books. I imagine customer retention is at at a new low now.

any who, did someone catch the new issue of Star Wars by Brian Wood ?

25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja :
    I'd like to read that fanfic! ;)

So true! It's a certain death sentence to be considered a girlfriend of Luke's.

MasterSkywalker86:
    Sorry! No, I don't know where it is either. But yes, it was originally on his website, I think.

That's a hard question, MS. I definitely want to see Luke as the head of the Jedi Order, and I want that Order to be competent and respected by the people of the galaxy. I also want to see Luke married and with at least one child. Because I'm expecting Luke to be older in Episode 7, I'm expecting him to be the wise mentor and Jedi leader. I expect the younger characters (Luke's son and niece/nephew) to be the major heroes. But I also hope that we get to see Luke do something truly amazing in the Force. We didn't really get to see Luke at the peak of his skills in the OT, so I would like to see Luke WOW us with a display of Force power and skill.

Of course, I want to see a compassionate, kind, humble Luke who is a great example for the young Jedi, and I want to see Luke's sense of humor too.

kataja:
    I definitely agree! This is one of the first things that I said in my post too!

That works for me too.

YES!!!! THANK YOU!!!

I definitely like your wants for Luke in Episode 7!

MasterSkywalker86:
    Yes, I think it was a group of Jedi, and when they didn't have enough Jedi to cloak the planet ( I think they were needed for something?) that's when the Jedi children were at risk, right?

kataja:
    Thanks for the interview. I'm not entirely sure that everything is totally accurate though, because I'm almost positive that I have heard Denning say that DN and LotF and the plan to turn Jacen dark was his idea. That HE pitched the idea to Del Rey. And everything since then has sort of flowed from that.

I'm also not thrilled that Crucible will evidently be "Han-driven". Denning always seems to want to write about Han or Han and Leia. He doesn't really seem to like writing Luke, and I think it shows.

I can believe that he was pretty much told what to do for SbS, because he was part of a large group of authors writing in that series, and he wasn't a part of the planning of that series. He was, however, very heavily involved in the planning of DN, LotF, and FotJ.

He may not have known that Jacen would die when he first pitched his idea, but the death came from the plan to turn Jacen dark in the first place.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I'm not really all that thrilled with the editors either, but you can't let the authors off the hook either. It was the decision of the three authors to kill off Mara. In fact, it was Travis' idea that someone needed to die in order for Jacen to go Sith, and it was her idea that the person be Mara. But Allston and Denning don't get a pass either, because they could have disagreed with her and come up with another idea, but they went along with it.

More another time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.