main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Has anyone worked out a "master timeline" of the two CW serieses?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kev Snowmane, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Until the new films come out, no one truly knows where this will all go.

Having said that, TCW is far from unsalvagable, and the show has referenced events in the comics, so throwing them out entirely is not only unnecessary, it takes away many stories which either can happen without issues, or are already said to have happened. The only real problem right now is the timeline itself, which can easily be sorted out once the current show ends. The whole "Anakin was Knighted 1 month into the war" take is too much of a stretch, but I doubt that will be the literal final answer once all the dust settles. A whole lot can fit in 3 years, and finding the order for the stories is fairly easy.

Really, there is little reason most stories can't remain intact. A very select few might be tossed, but that's it.

Also, frankly, the comics have some darn good stories and shouldn't be entirely tossed. At least most of the pre-ROTJ material. They add a lot to this universe. Even if they somehow cut out 'all' the post ROTJ material, I doubt we'll lose 'everything' from before that doesn't majorly contradict things. TCW also makes numerous references to games like KOTOR and Republic Commando.

07jonesj likes this.
  2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    HEDGESMFG I think I might cry if they just threw out all the post-ROTJ stuff. That's about 50 novels. The entire New Jedi Order series, Legacy and Fate of the Jedi.

Well, I'd just separate them into EU and Lucas (Kennedy?)... are going to get K-level canon?

3. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm getting mixed messages from this thread...just to be clear, Chee and/or LFL has not come out and made any of the mini-series officially non-canon, correct? This is all just based on observations between different media and certain things being higher up on the canon scale?

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    For now. I don't think the fact that their official chronology list only includes the films and TCW is making it look too good for the future canon status of the micro series.

5. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    I honestly wouldn't mind if the micro series became non-canon - everything is so exaggerated, I just see it as a different incarnation from the "reality" of the Star Wars Universe...like a holodrama told in Genndy's animation style.

One of my biggest "WTF?" aspect of the whole debate is that Chee quote about Anakin's knighting. TCW purports that Anakin is a knighting occurs only 7 weeks after The Battle of Geonosis, yet much of the EU says it was much later than that and Chee tried to rectify it by saying the knighting scene in the micro series featured Anakin with his hair in a "top knot." Why even try to rectify it if TCW is going to negate all of it and become the new canon? I feel like if Chee/LFL has already put out that episode chronology with actual years listed and have confirmed that Anakin was a knight 7 weeks after Geonosis, Why not just come out and say that all EU sources that claim Anakin's knighting occurred late in the war are non-canon?

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't really care whether it's "officially" canon or not, I like it so I'm keeping it in my canon. Sure the strength levels of the Force powers are out of whack, but that doesn't bother me much, I love to see different Force powers.

7. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I just can't take how hilarious the microseries is. Mace Windu takes on an army of battle droids and GIANT planet-destroying machines solo. Thousands of clone LAAT/i gunships fit into a single Venator-class Star Destroyer.

Durge.

I guess I just dislike Tartakovsky's style - it doesn't feel like Star Wars.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I loved Samurai Jack before the micro series came out so I bought into the style right away. I'm also into the absurd quasi-campiness of Durge and crazy Force powers.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    I feel the same way - its not that i dislike it though as much as when I watch it, I don't see "real" Star Wars...I guess its kind of like Adam West Batman v. Batman The Animated Series....

Valairy Scot and 07jonesj like this.
  10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I watched Samurai Jack when I was younger, and enjoyed it. Just don't feel it fits Star Wars.

I appear to have a fine line with my crazy Force powers. I enjoyed the original Force Unleashed immensely, yet thought it's sequel was not only unnecessary, but overdid the Force powers.

11. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Nvm. Idiocy.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_plain] Damn dude, I know I just called Durge quasi-campy, but that's harsh!

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why did Lucas want there to be a new Clone Wars series anyway?
    I prefer the original Clone Wars run myself. The books are good imo and the comics from what I have (the 1st two Omnibus' while still waiting to get or read the 3rd one) are top notch and the original tv was perfect. Sure I was annoyed with how short each episode was when it came out but there was enough action early on that I liked it. Sure the force powers were way over the top but that's what made it awesome! Action, adventure, comedy, some romance made for a great time.

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  14. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, considering everyone is exaggerated I can live with it as it is: artistic licence. Personally, some of my favourite moments in the SW saga occur within that show. So, like Tarkas, I'll keep it in my canon whatever LFL says. In fact, I think personal canon is the way to keep sane and enjoy the saga.
    For example, this exchange is just pure AWESOMENESS!!!!

[​IMG]
    Palpatine: How dare you barge in to my private residence? How do you think you are?!
    Shaak Ti: Chancellor, I don't think...
    Palpatine: I will take care of this. I am Supreme Chancellor Palpatine of the Galactic Republic and I will not be bullied by any thug who happens to---
    [Shaak Ti Force pulls him back]

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I can accept Filoni's take on the microseries, that the events of the microseries could have happened, just not the way as depicted.

For example, Mace Windu could have fought a battle on Dantooine and triumphed over an army there, but he didn't do it single handedly (otherwise why didn't he do the same on Geonosis?). And Grievous could have lead an army that killed however many Jedi and wounded Shaak Ti, but the microseries' version exaggerated things and made it look like Grievous did so by himself, whereas perhaps that battle did happen and Grievous did participate, but he had support.

That's how my personal canon folds the events of the microseries into the rest of the series to reconcile things like the over-the-top power of Grievous or Mace in the microseries vs. their depictions in the films.

And with something like the Mon Cala, I'd reconcile it similar to what happened with the Second Battle of Geonosis. Perhaps there was a Quarren Isolationist League. They were defeated. To help keep the peace the Mon Calamari extended an invitation back into the government, but that the Quarren dissatisfaction in having a Mon Calamari child king was aggravated by Tamson and the Separatists so that there was a second invasion.

If there is any dialogue in the TCW arc that makes such an interpretation impossible, I ignore it, because hell, it's my fanon, I can do what I want. ;)

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    For the Dantooine episode in the original series I like to think that we see everything from the kid's eyes and because of that, the battle is way more awesome than it was.

17. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Couldn't agree more.

18. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Thats actually how I view the whole series. I actually enjoy watching it (even though my Adam West comment may have made it seem otherwise). I just see the whole series as an interpretation of people in awe of the battles. I think that kid on Dantooine probably solidified that though for me b/c it showed someone who's POV it could all be from...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm glad we got to see something as far out as that. That was incredible

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Four weeks, not seven. The full quote from TCW: Wild Space:

"Seven weeks after the Battle of Geonosis - not quite three weeks after Anakin farewelled without regret his Padawan braid - Dooku's Separatist forces launched a brutal multipronged attack on the Republic."

21. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Sorry, I meant to say Anakin was already a Knight 7 weeks after Geonosis, not that he became a knight 7 weeks after.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Jabiim arc, Obi-Wan's captivity by Ventress- these seem a little difficult to squeeze into that timeframe- but we'll see what they come up with.

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Considering Obi-Wan was supposedly held by Ventress for roughly one to two months minimum, it would be hard to fit into four weeks... (Anakin was still a padawan when he came to Obi-Wan's rescue with Ki-Adi-Mundi.)

Personally, canon or not canon, I find it a bit difficult to find Anakin knighted so shortly after disobeying Obi-Wan to go to Tatooine AND rushing Dooku just as I find it a bit unlikely that Obi-Wan was made a master and elevated to the Council in that same time frame.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Would have to be shortened to get it to work- assuming that they're insistant on the TCW timeframe taking precedence but aren't going to decanonize most things.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I think it makes sense story-wise to have Anakin knighted before he was ready, and that it was a direct result of the beginning of the Clone Wars. Anakin would not have made it through the Jedi ranks had Palpatine not pulled strings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.