main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Middle trilogy, lost opportunity?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthBlanco, Jan 9, 2013.

1. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Between ROTS and ANH. The best bits. The Vader years. When he hunts and destroys all the remaining Jedi. Surely this is what everyone would like to see. With the same SFX as used on the OT. It would be a trilogy of TESB. It's a good way to set things up for a later trilogy set after ROTJ.

Wu Wei Jedi likes this.
  2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Live-action series. Which I think we'll finally be getting-the thing holding it back was how expensive it was going to be and well, that sure isn't a problem now.

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    My gut tells me that if the ST is a big hit for Disney critically that the prequel trilogy will probably get remade.

Once that is done then I am sure they will do spin off films dealing with Darth Vader. No matter how good the next films, no other character will be as iconic as Vader. If Disney is going to mine any character, its going to be him.

JoeyArnold likes this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I honestly want to see a completely CGI series that isn't stylized like the Clone Wars. That could be really interesting.

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I think that would be ungodly expensive, TBH. If the prequels cost 150 mil for a measely 2 hours of film each (and not even wholly CGI) I can't imagine what the price tag for doing a whole season of all photorealistic CGI.

kainee and TreborSabreon like this.
  6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    You have a point. But it could be a mini series.

Also, I'm thinking that with completely CGI actors, the quality of CGI doesn't have to be as photorealistic.

I wonder how much did Rango cost?

7. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Sounds fun... but exactly who is the protagonist here? Darth Freaking Vader? And who is the Antagonist? The surviving Jedi as a whole? Yoda, secretly working from Dagobah to keep the others one step ahead of the pursuing Sith Lord? And losing at every turn?

Actually, I take it back. It sounds depressing. :p

kubricklynch likes this.
  8. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    rango cost $135M

9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Rango isn't photo-realistic, though.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Protagonist or at least the narrative would logically go through an imperial officer.

11. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Sorry to be negative but I don't think that would work. Despicable main characters (like say Tony Montana in Scarface) can work, but the audience has to agree with their goals (or want to see them achieved). Tony wants to get rich and powerful; the audience wants him to too, so we can live vicariously and get a thrill out of seeing him lose it. But an imperial officer hunting down Jedi...? We, the audience, would want him to fail at every turn. Even if he were played by the most charismatic actor in the galaxy -- let's say Michael Fassbender just to keep it real -- we would despise this protagonist whose goal of capturing/killing the few surviving Jedi we ardently disagree with. The whole premise just works against the basic elements of drama.

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Does an imperial officer have to be evil? Maybe he see's the empire for what it really is and has an arc.

Was Admiral Piett truly evil? I never thought so. I thought he was just some dude who got caught up on the wrong side of a war.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    It doesn't matter whether he's evil. He can be "evil" as long as we agree with his goals. That's how drama works. We invest our emotions in the protagonist's goals. If an imperial officer is hunting down poor, downtrodden, sympathetic underdog Jedi, who do you think the audience is going to side with? The officer could be a sterling example of humanity and we still wouldn't like him because of his job, his goals.

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I don't know, if its a character driven movie about his ruminations and internal conflict-It easily could be pulled off.

Vader would be killing the Jedi. Not him.

You ever seen Das Boot?

15. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    I've seen Das Boot. The protagonist is a journalist. His goal is to observe the events of the war, not enact or enable them. Your imperial officer, far from being a war correspondent, would be actively enabling the homicidal goals of Darth Vader. Otherwise what is the point of his rank and position? He has to enact or enable heinous atrocities or he's not earning his post and will be demoted or executed.

16. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    He is not really the protagonist. He is also the least likeable character in the movie. He is an SS propaganda officer who actively supports Hitler. The narrative structure runs through him as a device.

But most of the screen time is the Captain. Honestly, the ship itself maybe the real protagonist of the story.

17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Strike that, your right. I confused the journalist with the watch officer who is a Nazi. But, he isn't just a journalist. He is an ensign.

In fact, couldn't you do riffing on the same idea? A propaganda or intelligence officer?

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, but the live action series stories, which have already been written, are not about Vader hunting the Jedi as the TS puts it.
    They are a very different breed of storytelling from SW, more for adults as Rick M. and George put it.

19. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Uhhhh...please no

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Eh, if its done well it could be fine. I will say that if its done, it will be rapid fire. It will be shot straight through and released quickly. Something like Matrix reloaded or Lord of the Rings.

21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Maybe with the SFX of the *PT*. But, really, nah. Fan-stroking wankery is all this would end up being. Not very good as story framework for a trilogy of films.

How would this help set up 7, when we have episodes 4-6 that set up everything we need to continue the saga?

22. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It's like saying Jacen Solo's decent to the Dark side was a missed opportunity .

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I highly doubt that show would be in production.

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Feel free to explain why. :p

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm sure Disney would extend Lucas's usual budget issue excuses.