main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation On the subject of possible side movies/trilogies/ect

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Episode Swag, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    First of all this is my first post here, so yay! Tell me if I'm doing anything wrong cause I'm a noob lol! I'm totally psyched for the new Sequel Trilogy! Been a fan since I was a wee little thing! So awesome!

Anyways....

I've been lurking here for a week or so and there is one thing that has caught my eye. Something that I believe should be addressed.

Seeing as there are going to be new movies coming out every two years, this means that there might be some spin off movies or even spin off trilogies. (That is if this whole production keeps on going for a decade and a half or something.)

Now this brings up a weird problem in my eyes. Episodes 7, 8 and 9 logically should follow the stories of the Skywalker family and the other heroes right? I mean each of the other movies kept on going in chronological order with the Skywalkers so this is sort of a given. Ie, it would be very strange for Episode 7 to be set 1,000 years in the future or in the past given the structure of the trilogies already.

Though there is a chance that movies outside of the Skywalker stories will be made. Stuff set in the Bane era or a movie about the Mandalorians, anything is possible in this universe if Disney really wants to go all out.

If they are to make these other spin off films, how will they be categorized? Giving them a number like Episode 10 or something would be very confusing for non-fans. Like having 10 be set before all the other films or something.

If I was in charge this is what I would do. If they were to make a side trilogy set in the ancient past of Star Wars, they shouldn't number the episodes, but set them apart with a different symbol. The Greek Alphabet would be a good choice.

Why not have an Episode Alpha, or Episode Omega, ect for an entirely different trilogy? (Should this ever happen in the distant future?) While we keep the numbered movies about the Skywalker family and what they deal with.

That way the new stories will be separated from the numbered movies in a way that is not confusing for non fans. Anyone else agree with me on this? Oh and sorry if I posted this in the wrong place or something. Like I said, I'm a noob lol!

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    No numberical number would be attached to them. It would largely be like the original theatrical release in 77(which didn't even have a subtitle). So Star Wars, insert subtitle, crawl text.

Its really not that big of a deal.

3. Episode Swag

Jan 9, 2013
    Course it's not a big deal, but I think something should be attached to at least side trilogies. Sure single spin off movies shouldn't have anything but the title attached to them. But for side trilogies that are related to their own set of movies, they should all be given certain symbols to tie them together and separate them from other films.

It's a little thing yes, but something I think Disney should consider if they really plan to make movie after movie after movie like they said they will. It wouldn't hurt to tidy up things like this is all I'm saying.

4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    How about this:

Star Wars?

5. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Episode Swag likes this.
  6. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I like the idea of possible side movies. But, not in between VII-IX... what would be the point? They are going to be busy enough with just 7-9.

For TV: Lucasfilm could take a nod from BBC's Sherlock and create made for tv special movies/series whatever about popular spinoffs like the mandalorians, etc.

7. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I see what you're saying, if it's just a one movie spin off there wouldn't be a problem, but if there's a trilogy spin off how will it be titled and numbered?

For example, a one movie spin off about Vader hunting down the Jedi that survived Order 66 could be . . .

Star Wars: The Jedi Purge

If they made a trilogy out of the Jedi Purge instead of just one movie and they gave each movie its own title and not some kind of number sequence, it might be confusing to average viewers. Especially if these spin off movies are going to jump around in the timeline. For example . . .

Star Wars: The Jedi Purge
    Star Wars: Agent Of Evil
    Star Wars: Lord Of Darkness

Average viewers might not know they're connected, and once there is a good amount of spin off movies it would be hard to keep up.

Here's how I think it could work, keep the title the same and have Volumes or Chapters after the title.

Star Wars: The Jedi Purge - Volume 1
    Star Wars: The Jedi Purge - Volume 2
    Star Wars: The Jedi Purge - Volume 3

Panakas_Dawg and Episode Swag like this.
  8. Lord Optimus

Jul 30, 2011
    If they didn't want any kind of number sequence and didn't care how long the title was.

Star Wars: The Jedi Purge - Vader's Vendetta
    Star Wars: The Jedi Purge - Agent Of Evil
    Star Wars: The Jedi Purge - Lord Of Darkness

Or you could throw out "Star Wars" but I doubt that will ever happen.

The Jedi Purge: Vader's Vendetta
    The Jedi Purge: Agent Of Evil
    The Jedi Purge: Lord Of Darkness

9. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    You can't throw out Star Wars, when people go to the movie theater they don't even say the title name when buying their ticket. They just say Star Wars.

10. Lord Optimus

Jul 30, 2011
    Exactly, that's why I doubt it will ever happen. I don't want this to happen, just giving some examples, it was a bad example.

11. Episode Swag

Jan 9, 2013
    Glad to see people know what I mean here! Absolutely agree with DarthOptimusPrime and clone3131. I mean there's no way Disney wont have the ST be about the Skywalkers. There is money to be made there after all! Plus from what we've heard of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher being told by Lucas about this at a dinner greatly implies that he wants them to come back.

Keep the Skywalker trilogies as episodes, but if they are going to make other trilogies, they need a different set of symbols to tie them together.

12. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    They could still call it the Sith Saga or the Yoda Saga... Still have Episodes and Roman Numerials but maybe just another line in there...

A Long Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far Away

STAR WARS
    Yoda Chronicles
    Episode I
    Apprentice of the Light

Opening Scroll Stars

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    STAR WARS
    The Jedi Purge/Dark Times
    Episode I
    Vendetta of the Sith

14. Episode Swag

Jan 9, 2013
    That could work too, but that's kind of a big title lol! Then again, that's probably what they will do realistically.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    In those videos with Kennedy, Lucas does indicate that he has some other ideas for movies above and beyond the sequel trilogy:

"I have story treatments for 7, 8, and 9, and a bunch of other movies..."

In fact, he talked about making Star Wars movies that stand apart from the main saga in those notorious (*) old quotes from way back when:

"So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films."

(quote from 1980; C&P'd from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy )

Now, with stuff like "a film just about Wookiees," maybe some of those ideas made it into the Ewok movies(or even the Holiday Special!), but I'd say it's pretty clear that there are Star Wars movies that don't go into the main saga on the horizon, including ones conceived by George Lucas.

(*) No-no-notorious, notorious... Anybody remember that song?

Panakas_Dawg and Episode Swag like this.