main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    *snickers* I read gay Luke at first. [face_laugh]

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Mav's Mod Voice: Hey guys... Let's remember to not talk about specific fics in the social thread, be them yours or someone elses. If you want a link to a certain fic, please ask for it via PM/Convo. Thanks! [/mod voice]

FYI since there is a ton of misinformation out there: The flu vaccine is not a live vaccine therefor you can not get influenza from it. Some people get mild aches, fever, headache etc. but those are not from getting the flu, just a reaction to the vaccine and while rare are perfectly normal. The vaccine takes up to 2 weeks to become fully active so if you are exposed to the flu within that time period or before you get the vaccine, you will get the flu. [This ends mav's PSA :p ]

I think working in a hospital makes you immune to lots of things. The first few months I worked in a hospital I was almost constantly coughing and sniffling but after that, it's very rare for me. A few years ago I was literally in the face of a guy who ended up having H1N1 (the year it was really bad) and viral encephalitis, I've had patients that end up testing positive for TB (we get tested for that at least once a year and again if you get exposed) and tons of other, scary things.

3. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Me too. And I only realised my mistake once I saw your post. Whoops!

4. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    The nasal spray is live though, isn't it, Mav? Or has everyone and everything been systematically lying to me all this time?

My husband came home from getting the nasal spray-
    Joe: I think I'm getting sick from the spray.
    Me: [dull stare]
    [Next day]
    Me: Still feel sick?
    Joe: Oh. I got over it.

:oops: :p

edit: it belatedly occurs to me that he's on these forums periodically. So, uh... DarthCuticle, I tease you out of love.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I thought the nasal spray flu vaccine (FluMist) was a modified live virus version. Are they not using that this year?

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I get the shot. I never see the nasal vaccine around here; it's always the shot. And it always hurts and it always makes me tired. My pneumonia vaccine wasn't too bad, though where they stuck me was a bit weird. Instead of in the side of the arm, the nurse stuck my in the underside of my arm—any farther up and it would have been in the armpit. Thankfully, I only have to get that one every five years.

My brother was in nursing for a while, and he found that sticking me in the underside of my arm was a bit odd. Is that a common injection site? If not, why would it be used?

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I use the back part of my arm as an injection site for my insulin, but the underside near your armpit? I've never heard of that before, but I'm not in healthcare.

Being an diabetic can have it's upsides. The first thing you see when you walk into my kitchen is my bright yellow Biohazard sharps container. It always sends guests for a loop, and whenever I go to get a full one disposed of and a new one, I always get odd looks in the grocery store :D

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My sister-in-law uses empty 2-liter bottles as sharps containers.

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Ack! Stop talking about needles. That gives me the creeps.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, and I still need to go into town and get a whole bunch of bloodwork done! FUN! [face_dancing]

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh fun. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, they took nine vials of blood out of me. It was hell.

Needles never scared me. My father was diabetic as well so we always had needles lying around.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    When I was first diagnosed with Lupus, I had 13 blood tests in one week. 13 multi-vial tests. Not 13 vials total. This was when I discovered that I can't look when it's being done or I pass out.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I hate getting shots. It's just that I'd rather get this bloodwork over with. It includes a two-hour glucose tolerance test, so I need someone to drive me into town, and my dad has been putting it off. The only thing I can rely on him for is being unreliable.

Also, this is for screening to see if I can donate a kidney, something my dad encouraged me to do, yet he won't run me into town just to get the necessary tests done.

14. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Hello senior citizens! :p

Iverna likes this.
  15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You know what I hate? That Medicare will cover a doctor in another county, but since I don't live in that county, they won't cover the visit, even though they won't cover a doctor in the county that I live in.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey. I am already the crazy cat lady. Don't judge me.

LexiLupin likes this.
  17. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    *shakes crutch, as she doesn't have a cane* Get off my lawn, you whippersnappers, with your so-called music and your ear-pads. Eye pads? Oh, who cares. And pull up your pants!

LexiLupin likes this.
  18. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    One of my cats decided it would be fun today if she knocked a half-filled cup of water off the table and onto the floor at my feet.
    I wanted to be mad, but she's just so adorable, staring at me with those big dumb kitty eyes.
    Wet socks really suck though.

19. LexiLupin

Mar 27, 2011
    Unless you're Connie and apparently need neither:

:p

Ceillean and Iverna like this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Like going into the adult section of Spencer's. [face_mischief]

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I finally found my cat's laser pointer that was lost. He's been really grumpy and paranoid without it. Now he's just paranoid.

Lol. So my town finally got a Spencer's last year and my friend works there. One day her grandmother decided to go visit her at her new job. My friend said it was THE most terrifying thing ever to see her grandmother in there.

22. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I'm not sure if they changed it or not, but I always refrained from going into Spencer's when I had my son with me because they had all the adult stuff right up front. Any non-adult stuff was to the back.

Okay, you all should know by now by my posts that I am not a prude. However, I believe that adult stuff should be to the back and perhaps a little partition or something that the youngsters cannot go through.

I haven't been in a Spencer's for a very long time... haven't been to a mall for ages because they charge ridiculous prices for the same things you can get elsewhere for less than half the price.

23. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Ahhh lads, me back is killin' me! Young people today! Would you like a cup of tea, love? etc.

Well... obviously that sort of thing trumps both alcohol AND coffee. [face_mischief]

Ceillean likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    When I was a teenager I loved Spencers. But decades passed since I have been in one. Last year I saw one in the Mall. I went in and realized that I must be officially old because I found he humor crass, the games tacky and I started wondering why I ever thought in my youth that a greeting card with a morbidly obese woman wearing a thong bathing suit with ribbon and bow would make a remotely funny birthday card.

25. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    :D Yeah, coffee = [face_sick]
    I can't stand the stuff. And alcohol...well, it depends on the drink. But then I tend to write stupid things when I'm tipsy. I've tried it once or twice. Didn't really work too well.

Just send me to a sex shop and I'm happy. [face_laugh] I'll write a hell of a story then.

I must ask -- what's Spencers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.