main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #1: In the Shadow of Yavin, Part 1 (of 6, not 3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 19, 2012.

1. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    This issue #1 got a 10/10 at NEWSARAMA...

Brian Wood is a great writer, im sure this series will turn out to be all its cracked up to be..

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, a 3-parter? That's a pleasant surprise, been a long time since we had shorter arcs.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Going to get my copy now. Can't wait!

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, aside from really some pretty decent continuity, this was exactly what I figured when they announced it - a character story. It's fun to be able to read dialogue with the OT-era actor's voices in your head, and the writing works with that tactic very well. I'm really down for this so far.

5. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I will not be able to pick this up till Saturday, but I am very excited about what I have read so far and the continuity that Brian Wood seems to be mastering right off the bat. To a casual fan, calling Ackbar a "commander" might be something overlooked or unnoticed, but to hardcore EU fans, it shows that the author has done his homework and is working with older sources. Same with Mon Mothma being on the medical frigate Redemption and traveling with the Rebel fleet in deep space and not being on Yavin.

Bravo to the new series and the new team!

--Adm. Nick

6. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Jason Fry is not the authority on GL created stuff. The clone wars series with all the episodes have been handed down from GL himself up to the last episode. So I don't agree that Lucas tramples over the EU. I don't sorry. The EU is great, but if GL does something then I go with what he does and then everything else.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas doesn't even follow what he says. ie Wookiee Jedi

8. Maciste

Maciste Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2013
    Too bad that most EU authors are better storytellers. I ignore George whenever i can.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that's my new favorite GIF.

10. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm glad for the three issue arc, since it means I'll read it sooner. I much prefer reading an arc in one go then waiting a month between.

11. Jerran Tankarri

Jerran Tankarri Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2013
    I really got to pick this one up, artwork looks awesome!

12. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Knowing Wood, most, if not all, of the arcs of this series will be 3 issues.

13. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Sorry for the misinformation. Brian Wood originally planned the first story to be a three-issue arc, but later changed it to six issues. My assistant Freddye Lins and I, diligently working far in advance, had the inside front cover of the issue designed before the decision was made to expand the arc to six issues, and then we forgot to change it.

Because we're geniuses, that's why.

:rolleyes:

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    We still love you. Probably.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm not going to be reading anything in this thread right now for fear of spoilers. I'll only be monitoring replies that notify me by quoting this post.

Just one question: those of you who've read it, is it worth getting?

16. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Yeah. I enjoyed it. Definitely a different feel than Rebellion. It felt like a #1 issue. A lot of setup. It didn't blow my mind. But I did remember how much I like reading about this era. And then there's Wedge.

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I bet there are a lot of people, Jason included, who know way more about Star Wars than George Lucas does - even the stuff George himself introduced.

18. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Be warned, Jello. Mon Mothma is a key character. :D

--Adm. Nick

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    And she insults the military capacities of the Empire whilst at it, so better take your heart medication, Jello. ;)

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The only way anybody could not like it, based on just the one issue, is if they're just totally opposed to the notion of another post-ANH Big Three story to begin with.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm. Okay, I went ahead and bought it. And it seems like it was a good call.

Plenty of EU nods: Kuat, Commander Ackbar, TIE Interceptors at this stage being considered "high end" fighters, etc.

It has a good feel to too; the Alliance fleet personnel are still wearing primarily Alderaanian stuff, Leia is addressed as "senator (which, really, is probably the title that the Rebels ought to emphasize more than princess). And so far, I'm diggin' the Leia as a pilot thing. I was really worried about it, esp. given the interview where she was compared with Wedge and Luke in terms of piloting skill since that doesn't match up with the story's near contemporary, Choices of One. But there's nothing in the comic to suggest that, so I can just ignore it. More important to me, I like the idea of a warrior Leia. We see her in a military uniform when she's with the Alliance in ESB and ROTJ, but the EU seems to forget that part. Yeah, we see her going on missions and shooting things, but never really as an actual line officer. It's cool. Not sure why her flightsuit is white instead of orange, though.

As for Mon Mothma, well, I made sure that I hadn't eaten anything before I read the issue...

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Six issues? Aww. Oh well, probably a better story in the long run. Maybe I will have to buy this issue sooner rather than later.

23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I just read it. I didn't like it. Brian Wood has a horrible tendency to overwrite every scene. Flushing the page with WAY too much dialogue than necessary. He loves to crowd panels. Its like his characters are speaking in Solilquoy. I really wish he was more economical with his words.

I also don't think he has a sense of voice with these characters. Leia makes a remark which is so unbelievably disrespectful. Something to the effect of "I envy you and Wedge-your jobs always seem so simple." Leia, or any leader, would never make a comment like that.

It was like Wood was throwing out dialogue without asking the question of whether the character would actually say something like that.

Wood did the same stuff on Conan, which is why I kinda started to fall out of that series after Busiek and Nord. Wood seems like he wants to write TV shows not comic books.

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Scott Snyder gets those same complaints, and Batman is usually in the top 3 sellers every month. Always find it humorous how outside of a fandom people will love that creators work. Outside of the Conan fandom Woods run has gotten great reviews from readers and critics. Outside of the Batman and Spider-Man fandom Snyder and Slott runs are concidered excellent.

Go inside that fandom and people are bashing the hell out of everything these people do. LOL!!! Could end up being a double wammy for Wood though. He already takes crap for Conan, all he has to do here is mess with continuity the wrong way once and it's bad news for him from a new fan base.

25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    I'm sure he is fine with his own material. Its also not that Im anal about continuity stuff. I'm EXTREMELY casual when it comes to my consumption in that department.

But everything feels like he is trying to impress me with his writing. The yellow bubbled exposition stuff came off as so unnecessary and pretentious to me. Its like he was beating it over my head with a sledge hammer.

The whole scene where Luke is dressing down the deck officer after the comment about Leia is AWFUL.