main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Raw Milk Debate

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by LifeInTechnicolor, Jan 10, 2013.

1. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    What are your personal thoughts on selling raw milk? Since,I have drank raw milk for seven years and never had a health scare,I think it should be sold.However,there should be strict sanitation guidelines and a warning on the bottles like they put on alcohol.

2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Pasteurization was created for a reason.

'Nuff said.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    What's the raw milk debate? And what warnings are we talking about?

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    And could we maybe get something more substantive than anecdotal evidence? What risks are even involved in consuming un-Pasteurized milk? Why is there a movement to allow people to sell raw milk? Why raw instead of low heat Pasteurization? Etc.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I am fine with raw milk being sold as long as cows are pumped full of antibiotics to make up for the lack of pasteurization.

6. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Drunk it in the past, drink pasteurised now.

There is no difference in taste as far as I can tell, but scientifically one is safer than the other and I'd rather consume something thats got a reduced chance of making me ill

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm always amazed by the expiration dates on organic milk. I guess they cook the hell out of it. Because it's organic. And then it lasts forever. But also tastes like ass.

8. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Well,if raw milk can legally be sold or not.

I have to go to work for 6 hours,so I won't be here.

9. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    *Disclaimer* The following is of an anecdotal nature since I am neither a scientist nor am I an expert in this particular field *Disclaimer*

I've had raw milk and it tastes better than anything you can buy in a store imo.
    You just need to be careful to drink it all within 5 days and keep it cold and sealed as much as possible.
    Pasteurization is safer because you don't have to worry about getting sick, what the cow was eating, antibiotics, etc.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    From from the squirting organ? No thanks.

11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I've had milk still warm like pee directly out of the cow, and there's no denying that it does taste great. But this was in Austria from a family farm, a micro operation that had no more than a dozen cows. Alpine grass-fed cows. It's hard to imagine that some poor industrial dairy cow bloated with meds and fed god knows what is going to produce a milk that tastes anything like that.

Sauntaero and benknobi1 like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Directly? Like it just got a hand assisted milking and you got down there and gurgled the new milk?

13. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    And there was me thinking raw milk was grass...

14. Platelet

Platelet Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    I've tried raw milk, having grown up surrounded by dairy farms. However, I wouldn't recommend it in large quantities, or as the norm. Raw milk can be tainted with Listeria and other disease-causing bacteria, and I believe several resulting food poisoning outbreaks have been well documented. This is why pasteurization is a good thing.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My father grew up on a farm, drank milk that had recently been pumped out of the cow, drank buttermilk straight from the butter churn, and he's fine. He will not drink milk at all now, doesn't even put in coffee, and I don't know if that's because he thinks ultrapasteurized milk from the grocery store tastes like **** or if he just developed a distaste for milk otherwise.

I'm not a milk drinker but I don't think I'd go raw even if I were. In addition to the need to be so careful about disease, the lack of homogenization is a turn off.

16. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Milk was ordained to make cream to make Irish Coffee.

Guinastasia and thesevegetables like this.
  17. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Eh, it's okay. For centuries milk has been raw.
    Sashimi, anyone?

18. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    Never had any health problems because of raw milk. One of my relatives who owns a farm with about 100 cows told me it's perfectly ok to drink it.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I find this to be an odd spot for me.... on one hand, raw milk is linked with a greater incidence of disease. On the other, it effects people on a very limited level (in contrast to, say, not being vaccinated). I'd think if there were suitable limits, I'd be alright with the selling of it, but since there is a clear health risk, I think it would be something that I'd want treated roughly like, say, cigarettes. You can buy it, but it has warning labels and is not for children.

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    My former roommate, who was from Peru, drank raw milk most of her childhood. Her immune system today is extremely strong. Don't know if there's a correlation, but it is interesting. She also regularly eats ceviche (raw fish with lemon juice) with no digestive problems.

The warning label should include "those with impaired immune systems should not drink this product."

21. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Just because people have been doing things "for centuries" doesn't make them a good idea. There's a lot of things that our ancestors did that we now know to be a bad idea. No matter how long they did it.

I'll keep my moo juice pasteurized, please.